My shelf layout journal

Conrail Joe

Thanks for the compliments! It was a lot of fun, and I was pleased for the most part on how it turned out. Someday if I ever get my dream basement, I will do it again!

I was able to lay some track down, but didn’t glue it yet. The gentle curve looks great!

post-33331-0-50744000-1514145244_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-81691500-1514145257_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-29121900-1514145271_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

My wife has a herniated disc in her back. Spent almost all of sunday in the ER with her. Since coming home, I'm right by her side taking care of her! Hoping to slip away for a few hours to grlue down some track.

Hope everyone had a merry christmas!

My wife has a herniated disc in her back. Spent almost all of sunday in the ER with her. Since coming home, I'm right by her side taking care of her! Hoping to slip away for a few hours to grlue down some track.

Hope everyone had a merry christmas!

Be aware that this will not recover quickly, and trying to do things too soon will set it off again - I'm sorry to say that it can recur at very inconvenient times - I did mine simply by turning round in the drivers seat of a mini (old style), and attempting to lift a shopping bag (fairly lightly loaded) off the back seat.  She has my extreme sympathy!

Be aware that this will not recover quickly, and trying to do things too soon will set it off again - I'm sorry to say that it can recur at very inconvenient times - I did mine simply by turning round in the drivers seat of a mini (old style), and attempting to lift a shopping bag (fairly lightly loaded) off the back seat.  She has my extreme sympathy!

thanks!

was able to glue the track down!!

I found some great pictures online by Ron Chouinard.

P&W serving the end of the line Slatersville branch referred to as “the slate”

I love The first picture, it shows the P&W using Head-end power, which they commonly do.

Pictures by Ron Chouinard, from rrpicturearchives.net

post-33331-0-55166100-1514744393_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-91013800-1514744418_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-61359700-1514744432_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-51680000-1514744452_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-72541300-1514744469_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-72579100-1514744484_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Conrail Joe
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

The first picture [...] shows the P&W using Head-end power, which they commonly do.

A question over terminology, but by “head-end power” are you referring to their being an engine each end, with only the one at the front (according to direction of travel) actually powering the train, the other simply being part of the consist?

This is wonderful for modellers: run rounds do require more length on a layout, and we frequently have more locos than we need. And here we have two for just three freight cars!

There is an interesting challenge here for DCC consisting with sound. Since we rarely have individual traction motors, the free-running abilities of our model engines is non-existent, or requires a lot of effort. We therefore need to power both units, even if the prototype wouldn’t.

On a DC layout, this simply means finding two closely matched mechanisms, and using an isolating switch or two.

On sound-free DCC, the mechanisms can be controlled via user defined speed curves so that they respond identically.

With DCC sound, you really want to have one unit idling, assuming both are sound fitted. Alternatively, you control them independently using manual notching/drive hold on the trailing unit to keep the sound at idle. Switching the sound off on one unit, or only having one unit sound fitted (must be the one which does the switching) is cheating.

Does consisting allow for having one unit just idling on the sound, yet moving with the rest?

I'm intrigued how much pics 2 & 4 (or the first two on the RHS) are reflected in your layout plan, was that intentional, or a happy accident?

At first, My track plan had all of the track straight. A member of the forum pointed out to me that it would look better and be more prototypical if I included the gentle curve matching the prototype. And he was absolutely correct!

It is intentional. I should have stated in the prototype pictures I posted, that the pictures of the "Slate", is what I am modeling.

• Like 1

A question over terminology, but by “head-end power” are you referring to their being an engine each end, with only the one at the front (according to direction of travel) actually powering the train, the other simply being part of the consist?

This is wonderful for modellers: run rounds do require more length on a layout, and we frequently have more locos than we need. And here we have two for just three freight cars!

There is an interesting challenge here for DCC consisting with sound. Since we rarely have individual traction motors, the free-running abilities of our model engines is non-existent, or requires a lot of effort. We therefore need to power both units, even if the prototype wouldn’t.

On a DC layout, this simply means finding two closely matched mechanisms, and using an isolating switch or two.

On sound-free DCC, the mechanisms can be controlled via user defined speed curves so that they respond identically.

With DCC sound, you really want to have one unit idling, assuming both are sound fitted. Alternatively, you control them independently using manual notching/drive hold on the trailing unit to keep the sound at idle. Switching the sound off on one unit, or only having one unit sound fitted (must be the one which does the switching) is cheating.

Does consisting allow for having one unit just idling on the sound, yet moving with the rest?

On my good friend Don's P&W ho scale layout, there are a few jobs that require head-end power. (you are correct that the lead loco is powered and the trailing loco is idling) For modeling purposes, both loco's are consisted together. When we arrive at the spot to do our work, we break/clear the consist, then take control of one of the loco's and switch back and forth as needed. It is time consuming, but I like the delay in action, it almost simulates the conductor and engineer walking to the other engine.

Another fun fact about the P&W, (this was before the G&W buyout, not sure if they still do this) is that the engineer and conductor are certified as both, so they would typically take turns.

• RMweb Gold

Another fun fact about the P&W, (this was before the G&W buyout, not sure if they still do this) is that the engineer and conductor are certified as both, so they would typically take turns.

Cool - and great for operating sessions with two people.

Hi Joe,

Nice prototype....

I`ve always liked the P&W,especially the early 90`s era when they had a good mix of power...EMD-GE-MLW.

Anyhow thought this vid would give poeple a nice idea of the top & Tail operations at the end of the branch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRy4wur206c

But this is one of my favorite P&W Top & Tail combination`s....SW7 & GP9..!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VztptrAKLFc

Look forward to seeing this progress.

Brian.

• Like 1

Hi Joe,

Nice prototype....

I`ve always liked the P&W,especially the early 90`s era when they had a good mix of power...EMD-GE-MLW.

Anyhow thought this vid would give poeple a nice idea of the top & Tail operations at the end of the branch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRy4wur206c

But this is one of my favorite P&W Top & Tail combination`s....SW7 & GP9..!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VztptrAKLFc

Look forward to seeing this progress.

Brian.

Awesome find Brian! I have never watched that video before, I am very sorry for that now! LOL I’ve seen it on YouTube but for some reason thought it didn’t go down to the end of the branch where I am modeling. That was a nice surprise! Thank you for sharing that

I made a few workstations today. The one on the far right is for the conductor to organize his car cards or switch list. My big pet peeve is seeing people putting car cards on the layout itself.
The one in the middle is for the engineer. For now it will house the MRC powerpack until I can get an NCE power cab. The extra space is for a tablet to use the train crew app, and the engineer can receive update emails from Dispatch or customers.

It will look much better when it’s painted, not a fan of how it looks right now. Tomorrow I will do the wiring.

post-33331-0-38588400-1514923246_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-76301900-1514923261_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Conrail Joe
  • Like 8