My shelf layout journal

Conrail Joe

Rail isn't clean, and/or getting hot enough for the solder to flow freely, is my diagnosis. Try using some flux fluid even if the solder is flux-cored. Might be too small a soldering iron as well, so it can't heat the rail enough.

I got all the positive feeder wires soldered! Each one get better than the last one. I didn’t realized I didn’t have enough wire to finish the negatives Wire feeders!! I might take a run out to the store later on tonight. In the meantime I put up the top facia and used cardboard to mock up the lower front facia with scenery contours.

i’m not too sure how much I’m going to be able to get done in the next few days. We are getting a major winter storm tomorrow, 12+ inches of snow, 50 to 60 mile an hour wind gust. Power outages are imminent, and there’s a really bad cold spell coming after the snow with temperatures below 0 (Fahrenheit).

Of course part of me wants to run out after the storm and take all the pictures of the area for photo backdrops to model a winter scene!

post-33331-0-57814700-1515017902_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Looking good. Building a small layout enables trains to be running in a short space of time.

If we had 12 inches of snow in the UK, the whole country would come to a standstill !!  So far, we've only had a couple of inches of snow here in North East England. 

Looking good. Building a small layout enables trains to be running in a short space of time.

If we had 12 inches of snow in the UK, the whole country would come to a standstill !!  So far, we've only had a couple of inches of snow here in North East England.

Very true! Progress is evident in almost every photo, and I feel a sense of accomplishment every time I work on it!

• Like 2

Thought you might like this pic. I came across the photo when I was researching Marlborough. CSX local B724 which, of course, is featured on Marlborough, meets P&W power!

https://sites.google.com/site/route2expressrailphotos2/p-w-and-csx-meet-on-pan-am-s-worcester-main-in-clinton-ma

Mal

LOVE IT!!!!  Good find!

Finished this morning. Hooked up the power pack, and nothing happened LOL ! Tried a different that was the problem, it was not. I had a short somewhere and no idea how and where it was. I purposely wired all the positive feeders first, then the negatives to avoid that problem. So I decided to disconnect all the wires on the power pack, and then connect them one by one until I found the problem. Never found the problem, but works great now!

Painted the track, and cleaned it, and ran engine back in for work, so far so good!

• Like 1

The only thing that concerns me here is that you think there should be a logical explanation for this! ;)

HAHA!!!! So true! That's model railroading for you!!

Hey don't sweat it Joe; some of us consider ourselves lucky if we get time to make some progress in months!!! :O :( :blush:

Yeah life happens! I understand it's a marathon, not a sprint! I have to keep myself in check sometimes, I don't want to get burnt out and get sloppy.

I chose to not work on the layout this weekend. I spent the time with my wife instead! I can work on it all week this week, but I can only see my wife for a few hours during the weekdays with work and all.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

• Like 1

Excellent progress and very nice shelf layout! I really like the shadow-box construction. Many thanks for posting and looking forward to its progress.

Thanks for the kind words!! Today's mission is to build a mock up of the main industry using foam core board. I've never attempted this before, but i will share a photo of the result!

Well..... I think it came out pretty good considering it was my first time ever attempting to build a structure of any sort, (kits included!) it will definitely buy time until I can build the real structure.

Are use the Proto type for inspiration, but stuck to my original plan of freelancing the industry. There are two car spots outside, and one car spot inside, for gondolas or bulkhead flat cars.

post-33331-0-80782100-1515517982_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-05479600-1515517997_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-21113200-1515518011_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-73886600-1515518025_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3