Crownline detailing kit for a county 4,6,0

I have used these on those dreadful Hornby locos from way back.  They did improve the look of the Black 5 and Princess.  For me a start on the road to actual modelling.  I always thought the castings were a bit vague although the etched brass was good.   I can't speak to the kit for the Hornby County, probably a matter of selecting which bits you like.  (there was a tender drive 4-4-0 and a more modern 4-6-0 that wasn't tooled by Hornby.  I had one of the latter branded "Lifelike".  I thought it was quite good with loco drive and lots of detail.)

John

Edited by brossard

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have used the Jackson Evans parts (along with a Hornby 8f smokebox and a chimney from

A source that I cat recall) on my County, photos on my blog linked below. On the whole the majority of the etchings were pretty good (though I do think that £29 is a little pricy for what you get)

The worst fault in my opinion is the Cab and Tender are too narrow, the Tender is about right for the Castle / Hall straight sided 6 tonner and about 6 scale inches too narrow.

I have a Bristol Models County which makes the Hornby / Dapol version look positively effeminate