Lakemont - Freelance US Switching layout

Seb

41034274335_588a920522_c.jpg

Seb, posting photos of the real thing, and claiming it to be a model, is highly unethical and generally frowned upon. :nono: :jester:

Seriously - that is some fantastic modelling!! :locomotive:

Welcome to RMweb!! Agree with ray - more photos please!! :yes:

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

To Ray : Trees are made from Zeeschuim (Seafoam) on which I glue a mix of leaves (Noch/Polak), foam (Heki) and grass (Mini Natur).

40126462090_bde2719796_c.jpg

I will post other photos shortly

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hi Seb and welcome!

Great plan - Lakemont looks to be full of operational interest. The standard of your modelling is superb - you've achieved an open and airy feel with nicely-observed detail. I particularly love the way you've captured the patchy grass around the spur track and between the rails - beautifully understated!

This is such a fantastic scene:

A view from the left side, the most detailed area at this time :

41034274335_588a920522_c.jpg

To be continued ...

As is this - the trees are incredible:

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

To Ray : Trees are made from Zeeschuim (Seafoam) on which I glue a mix of leaves (Noch/Polak), foam (Heki) and grass (Mini Natur).

40126462090_bde2719796_c.jpg

I will post other photos shortly

All-in-all, a standard I can only aspire to emulate!

Please keep posting the photos and details of your progress.

Best regards,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

This is one of the best, most realistic, shelf, railroads I have seen.

I have been following your progress on the face book page and I appreciate that not only did you include both facing and trailing point switches but also a run around track to enhance operations. It's also more realistic and offers more switching challenges. Being a retired railroader this looks like the type of railroad that icould be very, satisfying.

Great, work, Seb.

Thanks, for sharing. 

Barry

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks to John, Alex, Mark, Tom, Daniel, Barry, "Y_Rail" & Simon for your comments.

I have been following your progress on the face book page and I appreciate that not only did you include both facing and trailing point switches but also a run around track to enhance operations. It's also more realistic and offers more switching challenges. Being a retired railroader this looks like the type of railroad that icould be very, satisfying.

The run around was the starting point of this layout. The track plan has been designed around it. As you have mentionned, a run around offers more switching capibilities and it is for me a "key point".

What is the link or name of this railroad's Facebook page?

I mainly posted on these FB groups :

- HO Scale Shelf Layouts
- Micro/Small Model RR Layouts

PS : Sorry if my English isn't perfect.

Edited by Seb
  • Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks to John, Alex, Mark, Tom, Daniel, Barry, "Y_Rail" & Simon for your comments.

The run around was the starting point of this layout. The track plan has been designed around it. As you have mentionned, a run around offers more switching capibilities and it is for me a "key point".

I mainly posted on these FB groups :

- HO Scale Shelf Layouts

- Micro/Small Model RR Layouts

PS : Sorry if my English isn't perfect.

Your English is fine...better than many Americans! Regards, Tom

Seb that engine, 150, an SW1500 is my favorite. When I worked for Progressive Rail in Minnesota and Wisconsin  we had a bunch of those which I ran. The high cab gave me, as engineer, a better view going both forward and back to be able to see my conductor and at road crossings. I liked the locomotives which had "road" (flexicoil) trucks on them because they handled rough track better than some which had switcher trucks.

It dosen't matter much to modelers but when you spend 12 hours a day running one of these engines you appreciate a more comfortable ride.

The foilage and trees look, just, like what you would see on regional/short line railroads which have taken over operations of a larger railroad which didn't maintain the line very well. Often because of mature tree, growth arching over the tracks you will find "tree tunnels" which dring the summer hide trains going through them.

Thanks for sharing pictures of your railroad.

Barry

• Like 4

Hi Barry,

Many thanks for this very interesting and useful infos about your past job!

Seb that engine, 150, an SW1500 is my favorite. When I worked for Progressive Rail in Minnesota and Wisconsin  we had a bunch of those which I ran. The high cab gave me, as engineer, a better view going both forward and back to be able to see my conductor and at road crossings. I liked the locomotives which had "road" (flexicoil) trucks on them because they handled rough track better than some which had switcher trucks.

It dosen't matter much to modelers but when you spend 12 hours a day running one of these engines you appreciate a more comfortable ride.

• RMweb Gold

Wow! That second photo, of engine 200, is outstanding. It takes a third look to be sure it's a model! 

Bravo, sir.

If ever there was an advert for good, appropriate lighting when photographing, that is it.