Large station throat design thoughts

James90012

Hello all

I'm in the early stages of planning a large loft layout, loosely based on Manchester Piccadilly in the early 2000s - terminus platforms and through platforms. I've prepared a track plan which does not include any 'reverse curve' points using off the shelf Peco Code 75, and which hopefully will give the junction some flow and a lot of flexibility. I am looking at full length trains and the length of the white board should be representative, but there are other levels being built first. 

Welcome thoughts on ways to improve this!

post-7085-0-97953300-1526719500_thumb.png

• Like 2

Looks good. I am assuming there were not many traditional loco hauled loco on the front moves but it looks like you can get to and from every platform from both all the approaching lines and plenty of scope for parallel moves so for modern image its good.   Not sure which are through lines and which terminate but I don't think it makes any difference.

For earlier times it would probably need more loco spurs and the likes. 

Attached is my take on this.

I think I've copied out the original plan correctly. I'm assuming the through platforms are at the bottom. Not sure of the layout at the right-hand side.

I've kept the main elements; just altered a few crossovers and removed others.

post-6880-0-23584300-1526743894.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks both, I have slightly altered the original layout which I'll share an image of later in it's wider context too so it makes more sense. I'm intrigued to try that second layout, it's simpler and could be more reliable. Will get Anyrail out again and see how I can get it to look.

surely there would have been loco releases ?

Usual practice was locos would hold at the blocks until the coaches departed and would then be permitted to follow the train out as far as the signal and await a release back to the holding siding or shed.

By 2000 most loco hauled trains to Manchester Piccadilly would have a DVT on the other end.

There will be some loco hauled services- particularly the Virgin Cross Country class 47 and 86 workings - but from my observations they typically operated in a way where a loco came off the depot and left the original loco on the blocks. I will also have a run round set of points which probably should have a dedicated siding to allow a loco to run around the stock without blocking the other routes.

Further tinckering to come!

So I've attached a wider view of the throat here, with some further changes to the original design to help the flow (I didn't like the northern-most Y-point on the original). Going to have a look at the alternative layouts now. 

post-7085-0-30924400-1527182462_thumb.png