CamRail 2010 - including photographic retrospective

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

It's Summer (supposedly) soon, so that means that the CamRail exhibition will again come around alarmingly quickly!

CamRail is held on Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th July 2010 in St Margarets Hall in the middle of Bradford-on-Avon, a mere 2 - 3 mins walk from the railway station.

The show is open from 1100 to 1730 hrs on both days.

Here is the line-up for this year:

"Braysdown and Writhlington" (EM) - a brand new layout to the exhibition “circuit†- a major piece of work depicting one of the very last collieries to remain working in North Somerset

"World's End Quay†1/32 scale “Gauge One†- turn of the century light railway terminus, featuring scratchbuilt Manning Wardle tank engines and scratchbuilt stock

"Rolvenden†(P4) - featuring the engineering workshops on the K&ESR and featuring well engineered miniatures of the highly individual rolling stock used

"Everbury" (OO) - this layout shows what the S&DJR might have looked like had it survived into the 1970s and the diesel era

"Lower Peak Wharf" (009) - a canal wharf on a narrow gauge feeder line in the Peak District before the omnibus and lorry swept it all away

'Wantage' (3mm) - a new layout featuring this well-known backwater

"Highbury Colliery" (2mm finescale) - Jerry Clifford's North Somerset colliery layout returns again, featuring a new and beautiful backscene painted by the very talented John Birkett Smith (of 'Totnes' 2mm fame)

"Ardleigh Noel" ('minimum space' 16mm scale) - featuring both steam and electric operation and some of Peter Barnfield's magnificent card built rolling stock

"Dungeness Siding" - Steve Cook will be displaying his 1/32 “Gauge One†diorama depicting a siding on the shingle, now featuring the sounds and smell of the sea. He will also be demonstrating wagon modelling and weathering techniques in this larger scale.

Another 7mm layout may also make an appearance, details to be advised.

Demonstrations will feature P4 wagon building, painting & lining, 7mm LBSCR scratchbuilding, 3mm modelling and 4mm GWR modelling

The Festiniog Railway Society will be in attendance with the latest information on the FR and WHR

Traders will include 'The Gas Cupboard' from Westbury, Robin Tett with his range of 'pre-owned' model railway equipment and the "Titfield Thunderbolt" railway bookshop (NB. Gerry Beale of "Wild Swan" fame will be manning the stand on Sunday).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a reminder that this event is coming up in a mere two weeks time, so hopefully we'll see a few RMWebbers at the show!

All profits from the show are donated to 'The Railway Children' charity.

I will be attending Camrail on Saturday as part of the operating crew of Rolvendon, a Col Stevens layout.

The pictures below were taken by Robin Gay, the layouts builder and owner.

As you can see the some of the buildings are still under construction. The stock is well worth a closer look.

post-7071-127818983374_thumb.jpg

post-7071-127818989002_thumb.jpg

post-7071-127818991307_thumb.jpg

post-7071-127818993722_thumb.jpg

This is an excellent friendly local show

The show is in the town hall next to the river. The best place to park is at the Brunelian station, which is still in use.

There are a number of good pubs in the vicinity and a nice canal side eating establishment that does good breakfasts as well as evening meals.

I hope to see some of you at the show.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Premium

I keep promising myself a visit, but never seem to get my act together enough, and unfortunately this year is no different. Looking at the list of what will be there I really should, a view reinforced by this comment made elsewhere that rather tickled me,

'A few years ago I had to choose between Paul McCartney and Toots and the Maytells at Glastonbury - I went for Toots. This year I had to choose between Toots (Larmer Tree Festival) and Camrail - I went for Camrail. That makes Camrail better than the Beatles'

• RMweb Gold

Not long to go now - do please say 'hello' if you are coming to the show!

Hello

Hoping to attend on Saturday, Mrs Stationmaster will shortly be studying the net to see if Bradford-On-A offers suitable attractions otherwise it will be 'detach Bath' on the outward working and pick-up on the return trip.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent day out, smashing little show and top notch sarnies (hand made by an old seadog no less ;) ). One or two layouts seemed to be suffering 'operational problems' while my son and I were there but fortunately others were not and there were some interesting demonstration stands as well.

However I do wish (in some respects) that the organiser would not have his bookstall at this show as it tends to be very injurious to my wallet and leaves me with more to carry home :rolleyes: .

• RMweb Gold

As the good Stationmaster says, I did spend a fair bit of each day on catering duties, and am now able to make sandwiches with my eyes closed! ;) It follows, therefore, that one or two of my photos were taken from the vantage point of the catering counter...

post-57-12797429732.jpg

Dave Finney (in red shirt) of Finney & Smith takes a break from selling all their 3mm goodies

post-57-127974303989.jpg

'Did someone say my name?'...Steamraiser in action on one of the demo tables

post-57-127974308751.jpg

View from the stage shortly after opening time on the Saturday

post-57-127974313691.jpg

Another angle from the stage, giving an aerial view of Mike Kelly's fiddle yard on his OO layout 'Everbury'

post-57-127974319381.jpg

The Rolvenden crew finally attracted the photographers attention...

post-57-127974323807.jpg

Simon Castens clearly finds the joke funny, Nick Smith (also of Finney & Smith) seems in more contemplatative mood... ;)

post-57-12797433243.jpg

Young Mr Charlie (Castens) has charge of the 'classic train set' display

post-57-127974341589.jpg

Gerry Beale (who was selling books), Dave Bysouth (selling pre-owned items with Robin Tett on the stage) and Simon discuss the quality of the days sandwiches...

post-57-127974349623.jpg

Steve Cook's superb 1/32 scale diorama 'Dungeness Siding', complete with seagull sounds and 'Smellorama!'...

post-57-127974355436.jpg

Jerry Clifford's lovely 2mm finescale 'Highbury Colliery' - set firmly in Zummersetshire (part of Swagonia ;) )

post-57-127974361916.jpg

Another view of 'Highbury Colliery'. If you believe everything that Jerry says, there's supposedly a small diorama of miners toiling underground, somewhere underneath the layout and behind the curtain.....;) :lol: :P

post-57-127974373591.jpg

Somerset collieries was clearly a theme of this show, because we also had the superb 'EM' gauge 'Writhlington & Braysdown' layout by Alan Parr, as featured in a recent edition of 'Hornby Magazine' (see Chris Nevard's photo at the beginning of this thread).

post-57-127974381254.jpg

A 7F waits in a siding for The Pines to pass...

post-57-127974384088.jpg

The main colliery buildings

post-57-127974388134.jpg

'Lower Peak Wharf' in 009 by John Bruce

post-57-12797439128.jpg

'Lower Peak Wharf'

• RMweb Gold

Some views of Robin Gay's excellent P4 layout 'Rolvenden', which is still under construction:

post-57-127974411788.jpg

post-57-127974413203.jpg

post-57-127974414207.jpg

'John Dale's lovely 1/32 scale 'World's End Quay' - full of atmosphere!

post-57-127974422611.jpg

post-57-127974424266.jpg

post-57-127974425652.jpg

post-57-127974427733.jpg

Mike Kelly's OO evocation of a Somerset & Dorset line that survived into the 1970s and the BR blue era. Many of the buildings are models or or based on S&D structures, or buildings reminscent of the south Somerset area:

post-57-127974432646_thumb.jpg

post-57-127974434243.jpg

Archived