PALLET LANE 1977 BR blue urban branch line

Rob,

Those Rats look great. I've not had the courage to have a go at mine yet!

Thanks, It is quite an easy mod to do, I did the last one over a few evenings, the hardest part is probably chopping part of the metal block down.

I missed this thread on the old forum but I must say although its out of my main interest time period I do find this an interesting layout with some very nice touches.

I must however say I am a bit confused as to the intended location setting . I initially got the impression from the type of buildings , operations and Bristol buses that it was based on a west country urban line - may be my old local line TM to Avonmouth where I was brought up as their are aspects of Lawrence Hilll and Shirehampton I think I can see. Well thats what I thought until I saw the road signs which if memory serves me right are or were for roads in Yorkshire and Wales.

So whats the story ?

I missed this thread on the old forum but I must say although its out of my main interest time period I do find this an interesting layout with some very nice touches.

I must however say I am a bit confused as to the intended location setting . I initially got the impression from the type of buildings , operations and Bristol buses that it was based on a west country urban line - may be my old local line TM to Avonmouth where I was brought up as their are aspects of Lawrence Hilll and Shirehampton I think I can see. Well thats what I thought until I saw the road signs which if memory serves me right are or were for roads in Yorkshire and Wales.

So whats the story ?

The road signs are generic ones used country wide, albeit the older style ones are still prevalent in yorkshire if my recent holiday up there is anything to go by. You are right around the aspects of the line being based around Bristol as I used to regularly travel on the Severn beach line, the Station area being inspired from Clifton Down in addition to the cement terminal from Lawrence Hill, and the fuel siding from Shirehampton. The backscene behind the cement terminal is a picture of Avonmouth.

I never set out to specifically base Pallet Lane in Bristol and generally I have always said it is part of an unamed major city, certainly at shows it brings a smile when people have come up to me and say "Is it set in any particular area of Birmingham?" or Manchester or London (delete as applicable). With the extnesion it does tie the layout a little more to Bristol, but the buses can be replaced with Crossville, Southdown etc.

I hope that helps the confusion, although it is never an area I have ever resolved in my own mind!

The road signs are generic ones used country wide, albeit the older style ones are still prevalent in yorkshire if my recent holiday up there is anything to go by. You are right around the aspects of the line being based around Bristol as I used to regularly travel on the Severn beach line, the Station area being inspired from Clifton Down in addition to the cement terminal from Lawrence Hill, and the fuel siding from Shirehampton. The backscene behind the cement terminal is a picture of Avonmouth.

I never set out to specifically base Pallet Lane in Bristol and generally I have always said it is part of an unamed major city, certainly at shows it brings a smile when people have come up to me and say "Is it set in any particular area of Birmingham?" or Manchester or London (delete as applicable). With the extnesion it does tie the layout a little more to Bristol, but the buses can be replaced with Crossville, Southdown etc.

I hope that helps the confusion, although it is never an area I have ever resolved in my own mind!

Thanks for that - The stations I used most were Sea Mills and Montpelier . I have always quite fancied the idea of incorporating an access to a goods yard over the approach road to the station as at Montpelier which is unusual in a layout and a 1950/1960 model of Clifton Down has always been on my to build list one day with the opportunities of Monkey Specials , Circus Specials and long Banana Boat Trains passing through together with early green dmus and standard class 3 tanks - one day maybe,

I have finally finished weathering the Presflos and had the opportunity this evening to go and play with my friend Dave Spencers layout "Penrhos" so took the Presflos and one of the class 25's to test all was ok with the new chassis, as well as learn how to operate Penrhos as I am helping Dave out with it at Burnham on Sea show in a couple of weeks. I also couldn't resist taking a few piccies of Blue Diesels in what is normally a GWR Steam setting.

post-7400-128165117602_thumb.jpg

post-7400-128165122586_thumb.jpg

post-7400-128165127253_thumb.jpg

post-7400-128165132749_thumb.jpg

post-7400-128165136519_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to assemble the complete layout this afternoon for the first time since moving back to Wiltshire, although one fo the deligths of owning a 200 year old character property is none of the floors are level, so it was set up on the back patio. The main reason for doing this was to finish off the lighting pelmet, and hope the pre made kit of parts fitted. Luckily it did!

post-7400-12831949563_thumb.jpg

post-7400-128319505871_thumb.jpg

post-7400-128319508542_thumb.jpg

Have you made a trackplan yet?

Aaah yes, the track plan, it is something I should have done sooner, I have scanned in the one from the RM article as I needed it for a recent show, but I guess it would infringe copyright to publish it here so will have to draw my own from scratch....

• 3 weeks later...

Neal ("Calnefoxile") kindly let me put Pallet Lane up in his front room today so we could test the extension and he could practice on the layout again ready for the stroud show, his house being somewhat more weather proof than my garden and with the added bonus of having a level floor. There has been a lot of frantic work on the extension recently to try and get it to the standard I want, made even harder by having to pack it away each night. The lack of buildings and lighting is because I live a few doors down from Neal (the closest non related RM webbers?) and hence everything was carried by hand!

On the whole it was a reasonably succesful session but one of the point motors is playing up and my "bodge it and scarper" approach to carpentry and baseboard alignment meant the join between old layout and new extension took some careful adjusting. Here are the pics:

Neal testing out the new presflos and new (to me) class 20

post-7400-007231700 1284928440_thumb.jpg

Also recently installed are railings for the pavements at the road junction, (ratio chopped down GWR spear fencing).

post-7400-033572500 1284928568_thumb.jpg

Still haven't drawn the track plan yet....

Hi Rob, first time in me contacting you, I liked this layout when I saw it in the RM, do you have any close up pics of the Lima 117 DMS, I noticed you have used a Silverfox 117 conversion in the RM article, would be interested in a pic of the conversion as done.

Best regards

Craig "Self confessed Bogcart saddo"

PS just noticed on the living room pic, is that you sat down behind the layout with the ugg type slipper boots on ? :lol:

Hi Rob, first time in me contacting you, I liked this layout when I saw it in the RM, do you have any close up pics of the Lima 117 DMS, I noticed you have used a Silverfox 117 conversion in the RM article, would be interested in a pic of the conversion as done.

Best regards

Craig "Self confessed Bogcart saddo"

PS just noticed on the living room pic, is that you sat down behind the layout with the ugg type slipper boots on ? :lol:

Hi Craig,

I will dig out the 117 later this week and take some photos of it, the silver fox conversion is nothing particularly dififcult, from memory I think its the third I have done, I have als now replaced the inner tension lock couplers and gangways so the gap between the 2 cars is much less noticeable, there was one picture in the article where it was a scale 3 ft gap between the two vehicles...

I do like this layout alot! i think my next one will have to be somthing like this :lol:

Do you know where i can get a class 25 in BR two tone green for a good price from?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Keep an eye on the classifieds on here and keep browsing ebay, all of my Rats (and 80% of the total loco fleet) is second hand, brought cheaply because they were missing bits or damaged.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick reminder, Pallet Lane is out at next weekends Estcombe (nr Stroud) show, this will be the first opportunity to see the completed* extension, even I haven't seen it finished due to space constraints and the modular approach to builiding the scenery....

*is a layout ever finished???

• 4 weeks later...

After a successful Stroud show where for some reason I didn't take a camera to take pictures of the finished extension, but it seemed to get positive comments and strangely it seems to have prompted peopl to ask where the "real" Pallet Lane is.

I have made some progress on a project that I decided recently to have a go at - A BR (ex GWR) Loriot with Hymac excavator. Despite having a reasonable albiet reducing list of unfinished projects the temptaion of this one was too strong to resist. Finding a Loriot kit was easy enough as Cambrian have produced one for a few years, but the Hymac was a bit more of a struggle. Thanks to RM Web:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/24161-hymac-580-excavator-kit-00-scale/

I purchased a Rosencombe Replicas Hymac 590. Most of the pictures I saw during research were of the 580, but the 590 has minor differences and will suit my needs.

The Cambrian kits invariably produce good finished models albeit with a fair bit of effort, this one was no exception, but it wins my award for the most unclear instructions I have ever come across. Here are some pics of the finished Loriot and the work in progress Hymac. This will be a heavy wagon when finished, to the point I was worried if the wagon would take the weight.

post-7400-081193400 1289158080_thumb.jpg

post-7400-055591100 1289158105_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have finally finished weathering the Presflos and had the opportunity this evening to go and play with my friend Dave Spencers layout "Penrhos" so took the Presflos and one of the class 25's to test all was ok with the new chassis, as well as learn how to operate Penrhos as I am helping Dave out with it at Burnham on Sea show in a couple of weeks. I also couldn't resist taking a few piccies of Blue Diesels in what is normally a GWR Steam setting.

Hi Rob, welcome to Wiltshire. Nice to see some blue diesels on Dave's beautiful Penrhos. Did you go to see Dave at our mutual friend Malcolm's? We will have to get you over to the Gas Cupboard on a thursday night now you are local.

regards Jerry

Hi Rob, welcome to Wiltshire. Nice to see some blue diesels on Dave's beautiful Penrhos. Did you go to see Dave at our mutual friend Malcolm's? We will have to get you over to the Gas Cupboard on a thursday night now you are local.

regards Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Yes the Rat pictures were taken at Malcolms, I went down to practice driving Penrhos before the Burnham show as I had offered to help Dave out. I haven't managed to meet Malcolm yet though. WIll definitely try and make it down one Thursday, what time do you meet?

Regards

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I do like the Loriot wagon,B) I have been thinking of getting one to go with a few old Airfix LOWMACs, I used a couple of Matchbox Hymacs on my wagons but I like the look of your kit, please keep us posted on how you go with it.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry,

Yes the Rat pictures were taken at Malcolms, I went down to practice driving Penrhos before the Burnham show as I had offered to help Dave out. I haven't managed to meet Malcolm yet though. WIll definitely try and make it down one Thursday, what time do you meet?

Regards

Rob.

Hi Rob,

we meet at about sevenish every other thursday. Its a group aimed very much at beginers but they are a good bunch and there are some interesting projects starting to emerge - see the website for details http://www.gascupboard.co.uk/-i-10.html We have a free mini-exhibition on December 12, I will have Highbury colliery there, the Bentley boys will be bringing Hedges Hill cutting along and Steve Jones has his very nice little O gauge BLT there. Must get round to putting a notice in exhibitions about it.

Jerry

Archived