PALLET LANE 1977 BR blue urban branch line

In answer to a number of queries around next shows that Pallet Lane is appearing at the 2012 diary is as follows:

14th and 15th April - Full length - Cheltenham (GWR modellers)

4th August - Short length (without Town scene)- Cheltenham (STORMEX)

29th Septemeber - TBA - Chippenham (Bentley MRG)

24th+25th November - Full Length - Thornbury (Thornbury & south glos MRC)

Beyond 2012, it is due to appear at Gloucester in June 2013 with 2 other potentials in the pipeline.

• 2 months later...

Well it's a couple of months since my last post, partly because there has been little work done on the layout. Instead focus has been on finishing 47077 and also weathering of 4 mineral wagons that were Christmas presents. The mineral wagons will alternate with the van train in that they will run in to use the run round loop and then run out again, on the premise of a private siding further down the line does not have run round facilities

I have not had much experience of weathering minerals previously so sought some advice from Dave and we ended up weathering them between us. First off the inside is weathered with washes of track dirt and bauxite. When dried the outsides are dry brushed with concrete colour grey and track dirt. Rust patches are stipled on in a lighter colour brown on the end of a thin brush, and have come out nicely on the wagons although less clear on the photos. The frame received a liberal coating of track dirt. Powders are then used, gunmetal streaked down the inside to represent the de-rusting effect of the coal being loaded, followed by black powder in the corners and around the doors.

post-7400-0-13319600-1328211197_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-30441600-1328210978_thumb.jpg

47077 is nearing completion, just the nameplates and anti buffer locking bars to add. As previously mentioned, research has shown it did not get Domino headcodes until well into 1978 so ideal opportunity to ring the changes compared to 47105 and give it 0O00 headcodes. The roof has been modified with the S Kits clayton exhaust, and the underframe and bogies converted back from a 57 to a 47.

post-7400-0-06672200-1328211500_thumb.jpg

In terms of shows the 4 in 2012 are as per the previous post, Chippenham will see the layout in the long format. Looking forward confirmed for 2013 is Gloucester in June, while the layout escapes over the border into Hampshire at Basingstoke in March. There is another appearance somewhere on the M5 corridor in the offering as well in 2013, details anon. It also has its first booking for 2014, where the loco will appear at the Calne show, 6 years after it first debut at the same show allbeit held in Corsham that year! Also I have had it confirmed that the layout will be appearing in the April 2012 Railway Modeller, with an article focussed on the extension.

• 1 month later...

Picked up my copy of RM today and very happy with the article, only minor error is the great pictures are actually the handywork of "ewsjo" (Jo Alder) not mine as credited, Jo having much superior camera and skills than me.

Pallet Lane or more accurately the town part of it are due to appear at The Gas Cupboard in Trowbridge on the evening of the 29th March. These evenings are a great opportunity and a relaxed opportunity to meet with other modellers to discuss model railways in an excellent shop.

http://www.gascupboard.co.uk/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=2

• 2 weeks later...

I was given an Airfix Bedford MK kit for Christmas, which has recently ended up on the workbench. Other than the complexities of painting the single piece clear plastic cab, it looked a pretty straightforward kit. Being one for a bit of a challenge, the thought of building it out of the box didn't really appeal so looked around for a way of building a different body on it. Now 4x4 trucks aren't exactly numerous and most of the non military versions I found were later conversions of ex military trucks, all of which would still have been in service in 1977. My initial thoughts were to build a British Telecom pole carrier but having dug out some pictures, these had the civilian cab and the wheels were standard road wheels, meaning the EFE or Oxford diecast version would be a better starting point. So back to the drawing board, and the obvious answer was presented when my car was showered in grit driving down the M4 in the snow back in January. Some quick flickr research showed up some MK based gritting lorries - perfect.

Anyway here is progress to date:

post-7400-0-46617800-1332019033_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-08518600-1332019912_thumb.jpg

The chassis has been built out of the box, the spare wheel and winch being left off. The body is scratchbuilt on the cut down original kit floor, the mudguards also being salvaged from the kit. The detail for the end of the belt which discharges the grit were predominently from the left over bits from my Motorail kit bash, the mechanism being built based on some pics I have found on the net. I need to make a plough bracket for the front although I won't be making/fitting the plough. The justification for the appearance of a gritter during the summer is it is on its way for MOT!

• RMweb Premium

I was given an Airfix Bedford MK kit for Christmas, which has recently ended up on the workbench. Other than the complexities of painting the single piece clear plastic cab, it looked a pretty straightforward kit. Being one for a bit of a challenge, the thought of building it out of the box didn't really appeal so looked around for a way of building a different body on it. Now 4x4 trucks aren't exactly numerous and most of the non military versions I found were later conversions of ex military trucks, all of which would still have been in service in 1977. My initial thoughts were to build a British Telecom pole carrier but having dug out some pictures, these had the civilian cab and the wheels were standard road wheels, meaning the EFE or Oxford diecast version would be a better starting point. So back to the drawing board, and the obvious answer was presented when my car was showered in grit driving down the M4 in the snow back in January. Some quick flickr research showed up some MK based gritting lorries - perfect.

Anyway here is progress to date:

post-7400-0-46617800-1332019033_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-08518600-1332019912_thumb.jpg

The chassis has been built out of the box, the spare wheel and winch being left off. The body is scratchbuilt on the cut down original kit floor, the mudguards also being salvaged from the kit. The detail for the end of the belt which discharges the grit were predominently from the left over bits from my Motorail kit bash, the mechanism being built based on some pics I have found on the net. I need to make a plough bracket for the front although I won't be making/fitting the plough. The justification for the appearance of a gritter during the summer is it is on its way for MOT!

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067674.pdf

means that it doesn't need an MOT.

Boring anecdote time. Many years ago my parents had a camper van. Following an unintended meeting with an artic, it was off the road for repairs, so Dad "SORN'd" it. The V5 came back describing it as a snow plough, and being exempt from needing an MOT.

Adrian

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_067674.pdf

Boring anecdote time. Many years ago my parents had a camper van. Following an unintended meeting with an artic, it was off the road for repairs, so Dad "SORN'd" it. The V5 came back describing it as a snow plough, and being exempt from needing an MOT.

Adrian

Oh well, have to think up another reason to justify it!

Well done on the feature in RM Rob. I like your gritting Lorry I have also converted the kit into a Flat bed bedford with a HIAB crane on the back but it's still sat awaiting paint as I need to source some custom decals for the thing! Smart and very different conversion to say the least though.\

Jaymes

Well done on the feature in RM Rob. I like your gritting Lorry I have also converted the kit into a Flat bed bedford with a HIAB crane on the back but it's still sat awaiting paint as I need to source some custom decals for the thing! Smart and very different conversion to say the least though.\

Jaymes

Thanks Jaymes, your mention about decals has given me an idea though, as I have the same issue in making decals, I think I will take the easy option of making up some trade plates on the computer, keep it as a clean finish and assume it is on delivery to the local council who will add their own insignia. And when was the last time you saw trade plates on a model railway layout???

I wasn't going to go over board on the decals really just chevrons on the bumper and the skirt on the flatbed. Funnily enough I saw a complete white HiAB bedford in my village pulling a car out of a canal and the bumpers where red and blue and the rest of the Bedford was white so I was going to go with that. The easy option sounds good to me can I make a suggestion of adding some wing mirrors though?

http://www.direct.go...t/dg_067674.pdf

Adrian

'Once registered a new coach and when the V5 came back it showed it as a 53 seat root crop harvester with taxation class of mobility!

Nice to see so many people and a few RMwebbers at the Gas Cupboard in Trowbridge last night, big thanks to Dave and Jerry for the invite and the hospitality, I really enjoyed talking about the layout. The full list of other talks is listed on the gas cupboard website, well worth trying to get ther if you are local.

2 Weeks to Cheltenham and lots to do, hoping to finish the gritter and there are a few bits of scenery that need minor repairs. Despite my best efforts, it looks like I won't get the nameplates for 47077 before the show so might leave that one at home or run it without and hope nobody notices...

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see so many people and a few RMwebbers at the Gas Cupboard in Trowbridge last night, big thanks to Dave and Jerry for the invite and the hospitality, I really enjoyed talking about the layout. The full list of other talks is listed on the gas cupboard website, well worth trying to get ther if you are local.

2 Weeks to Cheltenham and lots to do, hoping to finish the gritter and there are a few bits of scenery that need minor repairs. Despite my best efforts, it looks like I won't get the nameplates for 47077 before the show so might leave that one at home or run it without and hope nobody notices...

Many thanks to Rob for bringing the layout along - it was another cracking evening. Full list of the railway workshops at the Gas Cupboard can be found here

http://www.gascupboard.co.uk/free-railway-thursdays.html

Jerry

A real shame that I couldnt be there yesterday, Pallet Lane is one of my favourites. Thanks to Jerry for looking after Rob and the shop.

A big thank you to Rob for spareing the time to visit The Gas Cupboard. I have had some great feedback from those who attended.

Kim took a few pics (one below) there are more on our Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/306379034530/

556369_10150624177262076_684092075_9252452_1439235492_n.jpg

Thanks again Rob, see you soon.

Dave

I saw Kim was busy with the camera, thanks for the facebook link Dave. I can bring the other boards down another time Dave when you are about, might even be able to get something running as well..

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Enjoyed seeing the layout in the RM again, the idea to go for a solely scenic extension is something that would seem alien to many. The 'less is more' factor works well on the layout though.

I noticed your comments about the bus depot interior, and possibly sawing up diecast buses to get the desired effect?

- you could look out for older plastic & whitemetal kits that where about before EFE and others became 'the thing'

there was a plastic leyland national kit if I remember and also various whitemetal (pirate?) that might be an easier thing to adapt for this purpose.

Or would 'having another go' at the buses on the background be an option?

Hi Russ,

Good shout re the palstic kits, especially as I have some Tower Models Leyland Nationals unmade kicking around in a box at home, its a shame they aren't the long version as I could use the middle bits for a model of LEV1. Ideally I could do with some double decks, hadn't thought about the pirate kits, especially as EFE's can be had for around £5 a bus on eBay. Will see what I can do with the pictures in the back first though, especially now many of the lost fotopic pictures are gradually reappearing on flickr etc.

Re the purely scenic extension it did take some will power not to model something with more track on and I toyed with doing something like Chris Nevard did with the cement quay extension whereby the extension and the main layout are almost unconnected.

The latest addition to Pallet Lane which seemed popular today is the addition of a QR code (square bar code thing for Smartphones), which links to this very thread, so a big hello to everybody reading this after sacnning the code.

Which begs the question did Pallet Lane make history today by becoming the first layout to display a QR code at a show????

Archived