Photo's or drawings of NER Cast Iron Buffer Stops needed

I have just bought some nice Slaters lost wax NER Buffer stop castings. But they are just for the sides and I am looking for information, ideally photos or drawings to allow me to make the best of them. I Googled NER buffer stop and found one image on the LNER Encyclopaedia site but it was too small to make out enough detail to model.

If any one could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Rob

Does this help?

Photographed at North Wylam.

I have two sets of castings that I acquired from Micro Metalsmiths many years ago. No doubt Slaters acquired the masters. I know they also acquired the Micro Metalsmiths Coreless motor drive system but regretably they chose to shelve it. Better than the Portescap system wirth a remote final 3:1 skew drive.

post-6751-128346724063_thumb.jpg

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

Just for the record, here is the other side of the buffers at North Wylam.

post-6751-128354080392_thumb.jpg

I do know of the existance of a drawing for these buffer stops. I thought it was in the NorthEastern "Book of standards" published by NERA. but I suspect that it was in the NER Express, the journal of the NERA. Incidentally the publication that I have mentioned is well worth the money. It covers a lot of NER engineering equipment.

Arthur

hopefully this will help

http://www.holtmodel...o.php?code=MM80

mick

Mick, I had looked at Holt's site when searching but it is the type that Arthur has posted the picture of that I was looking for but thanks anyway.

Rob

Does this help?

Photographed at North Wylam.

I have two sets of castings that I acquired from Micro Metalsmiths many years ago. No doubt Slaters acquired the masters. I know they also acquired the Micro Metalsmiths Coreless motor drive system but regretably they chose to shelve it. Better than the Portescap system wirth a remote final 3:1 skew drive.

post-6751-128346724063_thumb.jpg

Arthur

Just for the record, here is the other side of the buffers at North Wylam.

post-6751-128354080392_thumb.jpg

I do know of the existance of a drawing for these buffer stops. I thought it was in the NorthEastern "Book of standards" published by NERA. but I suspect that it was in the NER Express, the journal of the NERA. Incidentally the publication that I have mentioned is well worth the money. It covers a lot of NER engineering equipment.

Arthur

These are just what I was looking for Arthur, thanks a million. The Slaters castings are lovely and I plan to get some more if I can make a good job of these - which I should be able to now thanks to your photo's. They were all the better for picking them up for 99p as opposed to the £3.99 retail price but to be fair I don't call them expensive at £3.99.

• 1 year later...

just as an aside - does anyone know how widespread this type of buffer stop (i.e., the one in Arthur's photo) was? Was it limited to the Northern Division, or more widely used?

Page 60 of Ken Hoole's "North Eastern Branch Line Termini" has a photo of the exact same buffers as those at Wylam. They are protecting the coal drops at Alston Station.

Last week my daughter found the remains of the same type just north of the convergence between the Alnwick/Coldstream and Tweedsmouth/Kelso lines:

ColdstreamBuffers.jpg

Tom

Guest Natalie Graham

I do know of the existance of a drawing for these buffer stops. I thought it was in the NorthEastern "Book of standards" published by NERA. but I suspect that it was in the NER Express, the journal of the NERA. Incidentally the publication that I have mentioned is well worth the money. It covers a lot of NER engineering equipment

It is in North Eastern Record, Volume 1 p.54.

I believe a lot of the old Micro Metalsmiths products ended up at Bob Dennys model shop in Sawley (now long gone) when M.M withdrew for the model railway business. I bought one of the J39's from there as well as a couple of the Coreless motor/gearbox combinations, final drive units and stand alone gearboxes. As Arthur says they really were excellent drive mechanisms and I don't tgink anyone will ever make anything better.

SteveT

• RMweb Premium

SteveT

Me too. I also have two sets of these castings bought from MM when they were based in the Northeast. I must have also bought, in total, about six of their drive sytems. I have used them in an A3, a j39 and a K3. Another is with a part buit Proscale V2. I have one set aside for my Q7 kit when it finally takes to the rails. On another thread when I sang its praises I was told that it could not be quiet with all those gears. How wrong they were! It is a nuch better drive system than the much lauded Portescap. When I visited they were in the design stage of their J39. I wasn't aware that it actually made the market place but the castings I saw were extremely nice.

ArthurK

• 5 months later...

Archived