ex BR 86`s in Hungary

mpb56125

Nice shots Mark - you got them then B)

Dave,

Sure did, had to make my way back to Budapest when 1/2 way along a branch line that had a two hourly service to get them with an hour to spare. In the end the train was 2 1/2 hours late. Just like being in the UK.

Hungarian crank who does stuff for todays railways europe rang Floyd CEO to find out what they where working and then someone rang him from the train to give an update.

Mark

Dave,

Sure did, had to make my way back to Budapest when 1/2 way along a branch line that had a two hourly service to get them with an hour to spare. In the end the train was 2 1/2 hours late. Just like being in the UK.

Hungarian crank who does stuff for todays railways europe rang Floyd CEO to find out what they where working and then someone rang him from the train to give an update.

Mark

Today 0450 003 was seen at Hatvan, http://www.mark5812.fotopic.net/p67578166.html

Mark

• 2 years later...

Two more twin pan fitted 86's have gone to Willesden today for OHL testing before export to Hungary.

86228 = 450 007

86242 = 450 008

56303 at Rugby with a couple of 86's in poor weather conditions
http://mark5812.smugmug.com/Trains2013-1/May-2013/29199535_hSBg3d#!i=2512395071&k=9R9TTLg&lb=1&s=A

FLOYD 450008 (ex 86242) at Rugby
http://mark5812.smugmug.com/Trains2013-1/May-2013/29199535_hSBg3d#!i=2512453493&k=FjKcL4w&lb=1&s=A

FLOYD 450007 (ex 86 228) at Honeybourne
http://mark5812.smugmug.com/Trains2013-1/May-2013/29199535_hSBg3d#!i=2512459355&k=KFkRzNT&lb=1&s=A

Mark
http://mark5812.smugmug.com

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...
Floyd 450 009 former 86424 is back operational in Hungary. Just been sent the following.

86424 was a running test held by the transport authority on 7th November. The man with the authority didn't give the licence for the operation because he found more differences (transformer cooling system, camera system, new displays, new arranging of the buttons) comparing to 450 002-5 the first modified locomotive than he could allow. So now we need to make some administrative jobs.

Informative update, Mark.  I had thought Floyd 450 009 was always intended to be a spares donor, so after some years of storage inside Keleti depot, I was surprised to see it being worked on this Summer. 

post-10122-0-84257400-1543874173_thumb.jpg

(August 2016)

post-10122-0-70127700-1543874175_thumb.jpg

(August 2018)

Talking of the former class 86s, it's not easy to find information about freight operations in Hungary (in contrast to MAV passenger services via the "mapper"), but I came across the same movement involving three Floyd 450s on two consecutive Fridays earlier this year.  It would be interesting to know how regularly it operated. 

On each occasion, a double-headed tank train and another mixed(?) single-header arrived at Komárom yard around 9am.  The tank train would  later be worked forward into Slovakia by a Translog electric.  Having spent some time shunting around the station area, the three Floyd locomotives linked up and headed back towards Budapest - both times with what appears to be a double hopper wagon.  On the second occasion, the locomotives rested over at Almásfüzitö - where this shot was taken.

post-10122-0-62569500-1543874177_thumb.jpg

Blimey! It was certainly a spares donor as there were better 86s left here when it was exported, I'm surprised to hear it'll be running again.

It often amazes me how other countries seem perfectly able to restore so-called stored unserviceable/non-runners into seemingly reliable, serviceable locomotives which go on to provide many years of service, long after the UK operating companies have deemed these (and other) locos as unfit for service, non-viable for repair/restoration etc etc.  There's a lesson in there somewhere surely.

It often amazes me how other countries seem perfectly able to restore so-called stored unserviceable/non-runners into seemingly reliable, serviceable locomotives which go on to provide many years of service, long after the UK operating companies have deemed these (and other) locos as unfit for service, non-viable for repair/restoration etc etc.  There's a lesson in there somewhere surely.

Lower wage levels, access to skilled labour, better market stability, more benign macro-economic factors favouring long term use for the asset, are all - I suggest - part of the picture.

In the UK we have higher wages, less access to skilled personnel, an unstable market which doesn't guarantee longevity of freight flows, which in turn tends to act against new entrants to rail freight, plus barriers to entry in terms of start-up costs.  Even the likes of Colas have struggled to establish and retain a secure foothold.  It only seems to be the real niche providers like Rail Operations Group that get any traction (pardon the pun) in the open access arena, by identifying a particular customer opportunity.

Archived