Modelling Aylesbury Station (Risborough & District MRC)

• 1 year later...

A colour photo of the shed, I need to blank out the background next time I take some pictures.

The loco is a Martin Finney Kit not built by me although I do have one to finish off.

My next build will be the coaling stage, well there are two in fact one under the old water tank for GWR locos and a slighly higher one for the hard coal users all topped off with a corrugated iron cover

The photo below shows both coal stages plus a 41XX on an autotrain

David

aylesbury002.jpg

post-186-0-95042400-1355130504_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Also I have now found a photo of LMS mucky duck 43067 running with a GWR diagram U Crimson and cream autocoach at Aylesbury running to Calvert, aparently when no auto fitted loco was avalible then any loco was used including large parires and GWR moguls.

David

Geoff Silcock (well known photter) tells the story of when he was a teenager at Princes Risborough one morning (sadly no photo): A 14xx + autocoach came off the branch from Aylesbury with a Black 5 attached. Given the way the branch was signalled until recently, one can only assume this was to save using an extra path.

• 2 weeks later...

76037aylesbury.jpg

Just before Christmas I built the water crane in the shed area from David Geen parts, I will post photos of my model later but the above photo shows the actual water crane at Aylesbury, the parts standing to the right are the remains of the coal stage, looking at the loco it has quite a bit of white staining on the boiler.

David

Not the best photo of the model but it gives an idea of what I was trying to achive, the David Geen Castings do not come with any etched fittings so the on off handle on the cast piller had to be made from wire as were the various stay wires to the top of the water crane. You do get the water overflow funnel that is below the bag but it seems that the water cranes on the platform had these the one in the shed road didn't, looking at all the photo I have there does not even seem to be a drain grill in the floor.

John Reed who has made diary notes at the time says although the water cranes on the platform were a mid olive green that in the shed was a rather matt chocolete brown.

David

post-186-0-88837300-1356519261_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

were did you get your drawings from 

The engine shed I own the original contract drawing and the this was used together with later drawings of the various extentions to it. The track and station plan was obtained from the NRM. All the station building still stand so these have been photographed and measured, the water tanks and coaling stage were taken from a drawing in Great Western Engine Sheds by Wild Swan Publications.

I also own the orginal drawing for the public footbridge at the north end of the station, the only building I have had to count bricks and deduct meausrements is the small ex signal box later porters room at the end of the platform.

David

The engine shed I own the original contract drawing and the this was used together with later drawings of the various extentions to it. The track and station plan was obtained from the NRM. All the station building still stand so these have been photographed and measured, the water tanks and coaling stage were taken from a drawing in Great Western Engine Sheds by Wild Swan Publications.

I also own the orginal drawing for the public footbridge at the north end of the station, the only building I have had to count bricks and deduct meausrements is the small ex signal box later porters room at the end of the platform.

David

thank you very much 

tom 

• 1 year later...

6tk4md.jpg

Another photo of the buildings on the layout, Since the photo was taken I have painted one of the buildings, now days the brickwork is quite orange and the mortar an stone colour, although colour photos in the 60s show the mortar almost black and a darker brick colour. I don't think the buildings have ever been cleaned and they are protected by the canopies so rain is unlikely to have washed them clean in the last 40 years. all a bit odd.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

They might have been pressure washed and or sand blasted.A lot of buildings have been in the past few decades, particularly in the smoke. There are lots of buildings in London and other places that I remember as being black, which were subsequently covered in scaffolding and plastic sheet, thetvwhen they re-emerged were very very clean. Most have subsequently weathered a bit, but nothing like they used to be.

Do you know the reason why it was there?

A new wheel barrow was required at Aylesbury shed so a new one was sent down, shortly after the new one disappeared so a request was made for another new one, when the second one turned up the first new one made a reappearance and both were lined up next to each other, the first one had been popped on top of the water tank so was not visible from the ground!

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful story, that's the human dimension of railways right there! You'll have to model that wheelbarrow, no way around it :-)

I'm still wondering why it got up there in the first place.

Your water tank is simply superb. 

• 3 weeks later...

x39ue.jpg

The public footbridge for the north end of the station being built by Gary one of our club members one of the supporting pillars is a mock up while the other is laser cut.

We were discussing at the club last night we should start again and build new baseboards as we are planning to go roundy roundy and the current set up does not easily lend itself to this. We can use the buildings and the trackwork and other details a big step to go but it may be the way to go.

• Like 6