16mm Festiniog Double Fairlie

Garry D100

• RMweb Gold

I've been pondering purchasing one of these for a little while now.

Having amassed a reasonable collection of 16mm Slaters loco and wagon kits I saw this really as the ultimate welsh narrow gauge loco to own.

With impending VAT rises and nothing getting cheaper I managed to find one for a very reasonable price, in fact upto £400 less than some retailers that are still selling them so decided to go for it.

The model is all brass and comes painted black. All that there is to do is to attach the ready made and functioning power bogies. Oh and of course eventually paint it up properly.

It also comes with some glazing material and a couple of spares. Instructions are simple, use the 4 screws provided to attach the 2 power bogies and thats....er it !:D

Its a very detailed model with opening smoke boxes and lots of cab pipework and dials etc. Should be fun to paint up and weather.

I must admit when I unboxed it for the first time all I could say was, "wow" :lol: Its difficult to convey in pictures the detail and mass of this model, but I shall try.

On with some pictures, which I hope are ok as I was racing the fading light.

How the model arrives, in a very sturdy foam lined box.

The 2 power bogies and the body are in seperate foam lined boxes.

post-7026-082747200 1289582817_thumb.jpg

post-7026-065239800 1289582819_thumb.jpg

post-7026-011460300 1289582821_thumb.jpg

Some shots of one of the power bogies;

post-7026-088344700 1289582982_thumb.jpg

post-7026-051467100 1289582984_thumb.jpg

post-7026-096493100 1289582985_thumb.jpg

post-7026-076339000 1289582987_thumb.jpg

post-7026-009922200 1289582991_thumb.jpg

Both power bogies together

post-7026-096666800 1289582978_thumb.jpg

post-7026-003321100 1289582981_thumb.jpg

And to give you an idea of how big this is, next to a Hornby OO tank wagon !

post-7026-034224800 1289582995_thumb.jpg

More pictures to follow.................

• RMweb Gold

Tested the power bogies at the weekend.

Very smooth and purred along the track.

Well matched too individually and should be spot on cross wiring them together as previously suggested.

Any comments anyone, its a lonely thread so far lol ;)

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures Garry. I cannot understand the lack of input either! please keep the info coming.............

Have you found out the minimum radius yet?

Roger

Hi Roger, welcome aboard :D

Not managed to find any radius information yet, is there a way of measuring it off the bogies?

An impressive beast indeed and whilst the Talyllyn is my first love for NG the FR isn't too far behind.

Would I be correct in thinking that this is from the the Sang Cheng stable?

I was very sceptical about these Chinese built brass locos but now have seen a few and actually owning a couple albeit in a different scale to 16mm I have nothing but praise for them.....

Superb build quality and workmanship and they represent excellent value for money especially when compared to some of the OO 'plastic' models imho.

That black finish seems to attract dust like nothing else though; when I take my locos out within seconds they look like the 'Woolly Bear' from the TTTE stories!

Are you going to be running this and your other 16mm stock on an indoor layout using track power or will it be outdoors?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, thanks for your comment.

Would I be correct in thinking that this is from the the Sang Cheng stable?

Yes thats correct, my first one and I have been very impressed with the build quality.

The power bogies in action are impressive, smooth and very quiet.

That black finish seems to attract dust like nothing else though; when I take my locos out within seconds they look like the 'Woolly Bear' from the TTTE stories!

Lol, it does show the dust. Quiet dusty in the cab but should be better once its painted.

Its seems to be bolted together in sections so should come apart ok for painting up.

Are you going to be running this and your other 16mm stock on an indoor layout using track power or will it be outdoors?

Indoor initially but planning permission has been obtained from SWMBO for outdoor running, but that will be a while off yet.

I was very sceptical about these Chinese built brass locos but now have seen a few and actually owning a couple albeit in a different scale to 16mm I have nothing but praise for them.....

Superb build quality and workmanship and they represent excellent value for money especially when compared to some of the OO 'plastic' models imho.

The quality is fine but!

The devil is in the detail, as it stands this is an amalgam of different FR fairlies and a model of none of them. As a generic FR style loco its fine but at least one of the FR's regular volunteer drivers bought one, stood it on a shelf next to a photo, and eventually decided that there were just too many niggling anomolies and sold it. The main problem is that there are a lot of features from different era's that were not seen together at any one time, not obvious to most people but to someone who polished and fired them for 25 years as a volunteer they grate a little.

Phil Traxson

• RMweb Gold

The quality is fine but!

The devil is in the detail, as it stands this is an amalgam of different FR fairlies and a model of none of them. As a generic FR style loco its fine but at least one of the FR's regular volunteer drivers bought one, stood it on a shelf next to a photo, and eventually decided that there were just too many niggling anomolies and sold it. The main problem is that there are a lot of features from different era's that were not seen together at any one time, not obvious to most people but to someone who polished and fired them for 25 years as a volunteer they grate a little.

Phil Traxson

I did wonder if a bit of that was going on looking at reference pictures.

However as I do not know the Fairlies inside out, what I don't know won't bother me :D

For the era and livery I am looking at for the most part it matches.

The quality is fine but!

Phil Traxson

I don't disagree with you Phil.

Like anything if one has personal experience of the prototype there are probably always going to be issues with a model built by someone halfway round the planet who has most likely never seen the real thing - however I still believe that these locos represent good value for money and offer virtually instant running in the larger scales where the only alternative for most folks is to kit or scratch build or go without if you don't have the necessary time or skill to build.

I'm sure having fired a loco of that class for a quarter of a century discrepancies in the detail would be obvious and if I were in the same position as your volunteer friend then I'd probably not be able to live with an inaccurate model; but to most normal modellers we'd have to decide if we could live with the compromises that a model such as this has, being what it is, which is a generic interpretation of a Fairlie.

If I had bought this loco under the impression that it was an accurate representation of a specific loco which I'd planned on displaying only then maybe I too would be unable to live with lots of niggling anomalies and either have to get it sorted out or have to move it on....

However - 'You pays yer money and you takes yer choice' - call me a charlatan but I'd be happy to run that loco just as it is putting aside the fact that it is powered by electricity and runs on the (albeit slightly) wrong gauge track too ;)

• RMweb Gold

it's definitely a good model, but when will there be a live steam one. since roundhouse made a live steam single fairlie, i am going to predict that roundhouse is able to make a live steam double fairlie

I seem to recall a similar comment on the 16mm association forum and Roundhouse were to have said they would not entertain a Double Fairlie.

How credible the comment is I do not know but as the single Fairlie is approx £1500-£1700 how much would the Double Fairlie be. £2500-£3000 + ?

There is at least one live steam version I know of, possibly 2 already available if you know where to look although one is not accepting new orders at the moment.

I did consider a live steam Penryhn loco from Roundhouse but decided as any outside line is way off for me, it would only turn into a very expensive ornament.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures Garry. I cannot understand the lack of input either! please keep the info coming.............

Have you found out the minimum radius yet?

Roger

Roger, just had a reply from the supplier to my email enquiry.

The factory state a minimum radius of 4' but there will be significant overhang, 6' is better.

Hope thats of help to you.

Apparantly someone does a radio control kit for it, mmmmm interesting :D

The factory state a minimum radius of 4' but there will be significant overhang, 6' is better.

Cliff Barker does some interesting wireless control systems which up until a few weeks ago I was completely ignorant of.

I would have usually only considered track power for my electric models but having had a play with the wireless system a couple of weeks ago I am giving it serious consideration for when I have have the opportunity to move outside or for use on locos that I may choose to run on other peoples' layouts.

I like the idea of being able to forget about track wiring, cleaning, insulated wheels etc. and concentrate on playing trains..... sorry running a railway :)

Cliff Barker Homepage

Usual disclaimer applies - just a satisfied customer.

Interesting Garry, thank you for that.

Radio is good, I used it on my gauge one American garden line, no longer with us. No track cleaning and wiring is the best bonus!

• RMweb Gold

For me though I think R/C is a bit of a waste of money as really I will only be using my 16mm indoors.

Just been looking at the website for the chap I was told about and he also sells the Easi-Liner pens.

Tempted to get one of these and have a go. Got some lining to do on other things too.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone converted one of these locos to battery power and radio control? Is there plenty of room inside for the batteries, receiver etc, or would it be necessary to put them ain a van or similar to be hauled by the loco?

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone converted one of these locos to battery power and radio control? Is there plenty of room inside for the batteries, receiver etc, or would it be necessary to put them ain a van or similar to be hauled by the loco?

This chap will do it for around £230 http://www.peterspoerermodelengineers.com/90275/info.php?p=1

No connection other than bought easiliner pen from him and was pointed to him from where I purchased the loco.

I have pictures of the conversion and there is plenty of room for the batteries and r/c equipment.

Main battery pack goes inside the cab.

HTH

This chap will do it for around £230 http://www.peterspoe...75/info.php?p=1

No connection other than bought easiliner pen from him and was pointed to him from where I purchased the loco.

I have pictures of the conversion and there is plenty of room for the batteries and r/c equipment.

Main battery pack goes inside the cab.

HTH

Thanks for your prompt reply, Garry - I will contact Peter.

Archived