Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

A castle on the North Wales Coast

beast66606

I've been there recently Beast, it looks a right mess nowadays, just a empty shell.

Hey, you're talking about my daily stroll there.:D Gwrych Castle used to be a lovely place to visit. I shook hands with Randolph Turpin, the boxer there in the 1950s while on hols We used to catch an ancient Crosville Leyland open back bus built in the early 1930s from outside Abergele station, and this took us right up to the Castle. I did a job there in 1966 on the little passenger railway that ran within the castle walls, but it was obvious even then the Castle was in decline due to changing holiday habits.

• RMweb Gold

Very sad, some before and "now" shots on the link.

You should have waved coach :lol: - I went there for the drag, the Cardiff passed by, and then the mist rolled in from the sea, not my desire (apols to Mr P.McCartney) and the light went. I also wanted videos of the signals, clearing, and returned to danger - which I got. I will start a thread later with some photos, and I will render the videos on my new machine, once it's working, they can be it's first test.

A rough comparison with the OP's picture taken on 6th July 1978. 40013 with a nasty scar along its side departs Abergele with a Stoke-Llandudno. A 40 ran off the Down slow into the ballast at this spot in the early 1970's after the Slow line to Llandulas had been lifted....oops.

post-6680-0-58747400-1293981534_thumb.jpg

And a dual carriageway :( - and the banner repeater is fibre optic (ok, I'm cheating :lol: )

Dave

The dual carriageway is in both pictures, I know cos Larry built it (with some help)

The banner you can't quite see from there but it's almost visible from Rhyl now !

Cheers Merf.

Nice to get some recognition Merf....:lol: :lol:

and in fairness theres nothing like getting on the A55 on a friday night and getting home, its alot more of an interesting road to drive than most of the other motorways and trunk roads

• RMweb Gold

It has to be bright to silhouette the tourists strolling across the tracks to the beach........:D

Whilst I was there, two teenagers, and a dog, walked off the (up) end of the platform and crossed the lines, either the bobby didn't notice or didn't care. If I had done that to get a better shot of the banner no doubt he would have (not that I would, I don't do trespass shots) :blink:

Family matters (funeral) today - and then I will post some more Abergele shots, in a new thread.

Archived