Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

Quite amazing. I never knew the original Forster Square (except from photos), so I can't make a comparison, but I great looking layout and wonderful use of a relatively small layout.

Always thought it was a crime that they demolished the original, you would have thought they would have learnt from the demolition of the old Bradford Exchange

Rovex

Hi John,

Just looking at your layout and I am gob-smacked with the scissor crossing incorporating three double slips. I know you said earlier that the track is handmade, can I ask how you designed the crossover, was it with Templot or some other design software, or perhaps the old fashioned way, by hand :)

Thanks

Dan

Hi John,

Just looking at your layout and I am gob-smacked with the scissor crossing incorporating three double slips. I know you said earlier that the track is handmade, can I ask how you designed the crossover, was it with Templot or some other design software, or perhaps the old fashioned way, by hand :)

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan, I used to do it by hand but I eventually mastered Templot and use that now . I think it is a fantastic piece of software but is not easy and does not do everything automatically, I superimpose templates to produce complicated formations.

Hi Dan, I used to do it by hand but I eventually mastered Templot and use that now . I think it is a fantastic piece of software but is not easy and does not do everything automatically, I superimpose templates to produce complicated formations.

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me, I've been considering templot for quit a while, guess its time to bite the bullet.

Now that you've had the decorators in those arches in the retaining walls look superb, very inspirational, keep up the good work.

Dan

After vociferous representations from the representative body, I have had to provide platforms for the carriage cleaning staff.

post-10660-0-55400800-1297280492_thumb.jpg

And buffer stops!!

post-10660-0-85624200-1297280497_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile back at the station life continues as normal,

post-10660-0-60677900-1297280503_thumb.jpg

D95 awaits the road to take the St Pancras as far as Leeds. D325 whistles away patiently with an afternoon all stations to York.

The carriage cleaners platforms are made from 40th plastikard, scribed and then cut into 10mm widths, 7.5 Meters of it. Yawn!!!

The builders turned up again this week, but instead of completing the station building they have gone and started work on the woollen mill. They say they want to keep the Bickerdykes happy and any way the ironwork for the station roof has been delayed yet again. Ho hum!!

post-10660-0-22852700-1297708833_thumb.jpg

Good grief! they certainly got that up quick! ohmy.gif

I don't envy you putting all those windows in though, how will this be done?

There are 120 in total. I do the glazing bars straight onto clear plastic using masking tape sliced thinly. I cut out the glazing and stick it behind the apertures. This has to be done indiidually to ensure the bars line up. I use a carpet adhesive that takes about 24hrs to set but remains tacky. This gives time to adjust the position. I will post some pics soon to show the efect.

All those little squares intricately cut out and placed! It really did my head in this early in the morning. It's 9:30am here - time for my third coffee break I think so I can cope with the rest of the day. wink.gif

Did you ever consider spacing the windows so that you could use longer strips of many windows between the floors to speed it all up?

Really like the weathering and faded lettering. You need to let us in on your secrets.

All those little squares intricately cut out and placed! It really did my head in this early in the morning. It's 9:30am here - time for my third coffee break I think so I can cope with the rest of the day. wink.gif

Did you ever consider spacing the windows so that you could use longer strips of many windows between the floors to speed it all up?

Really like the weathering and faded lettering. You need to let us in on your secrets.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Regarding your query, if you do them all on one strip, you can't make adjustments for small variations that invariably creep in when you are cutting out the openings, and with this many windows a small discrepency is multiplied many times!!

As for secrets, I am very happy to share my techniques etc but am not sure what people would like to know so please ask.

How did you do the faded lettering on the mill?

Having first worked out the height of the letters required, 15mm in this case, I use "Word" to print out the words in a suitable font- sans serif at a size of 60 worked out about right. I then cut out the letters to leave a template which is cut to a convenient size and stuck to the wall with masking tape. As this was a light background, stone work, the lettering was done with a black permanent marker pen, just dabbing it through the template. Once the wording was complete, the whole building was weathered with a sooty black wash. I use artists acrylics for buildings and scenery as they come in large quantities and work out a lot cheaper. The only downside is that sometimes they dry with a slight sheen. This is overcome by a coat of matt varnish. However, for the black wash, I add a small amount of black powder paint which gives a nice sooty finish.

post-10660-0-02487700-1298113318_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-21050000-1298113313_thumb.jpg

Hope this is of some interest, anything else please ask.

Regards John E.

Now I know why the builders wanted to keep the Bickerdykes happy, there was a "Social Housing" contract in the pipeline.

post-10660-0-67593700-1298369340_thumb.jpg

The worst bit, cutting out the windows

post-10660-0-29640700-1298369346_thumb.jpg

The brickies have done there bit

post-10660-0-89756900-1298369350_thumb.jpg

Internal bracing but no floors this time.

post-10660-0-27273900-1298369356_thumb.jpg

First fitting into position on layout

post-10660-0-66329800-1298369361_thumb.jpg

The roofers are in and cracking on.

post-10660-0-57428300-1298369366_thumb.jpg

Fills the gap nicely.Who left those shrubs on the old cattle dock??

What a brilliant layout please post when you are going to exhibit ,the buildings and finish are stunning like the rolling stock.Surprised at your comments on Hornby Black Fives mine runs like a dream better than Bachman responds to controler sweet as a nut Keep up the good work its an inspirtion.

Thanks again for the encouraging remarks. Two questions raised, answers below:-

The layout will have its first outing at the Leicester Model Railway Groups show 7/8 May, hence all the feverish activity!!

No floors in the buildings this time as you will not notice them from normal viewing angle and there is sufficient bracing from the dividing walls.

The chippies have been fitting window frames today so more pictures soon!!

Archived