Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

This layout is coming on a treat. Looking forward to seeing some steam under that overall roof. Bravo

I do plan on running steam as well but all my time is going in to the layout at present to get it ready for exhibiting. As I mentioned in a previous post I find that the steam loco's need a bit more fettling and attention to get them up to standard, so will have to make do with the diesel fleet for now. Photo's will appear when the first steam loco make's its debut. I will probably go for some large tank engines initially followed by a few black fives.

On a slightly different note, a big thankyou for all the positive comments recieved from various members, it really does help keep the motivation going. I am not panicking yet but the exhibition deadline does seem to be approaching much more rapidly than I would like!!!

• RMweb Premium

On a slightly different note, a big thankyou for all the positive comments recieved from various members, it really does help keep the motivation going. I am not panicking yet but the exhibition deadline does seem to be approaching much more rapidly than I would like!!!

I have to say, even if you turned up with the layout as it is and just plonked a few trains on it as a static display it would hold people's attention alright; wonderful atmosphere - really stirs the imagination :)

I have only just come across this thread (were've I been?) and have enjoyed reading through it . I can only concur with those before me that this is one heck of a layout. To me the superb looking 00 trackwork shows it is not necessary to go the extra mile of EM and all the extra work of converting everything.

The year you have chosen (1962) interests me. I would humbly suggest you keep an eye on the proportion of blood & custard coaches, as at the moment it looks to be rather on the high side. The line up of 'Peaks' displays very good taste in diesels but I assume the blue Derby Type 2 is a temporary interloper from another time...:D

Looking forward to watching this layout develop. It promises to be a stunner.

The year you have chosen (1962) interests me. I would humbly suggest you keep an eye on the proportion of blood & custard coaches, as at the moment it looks to be rather on the high side. The line up of 'Peaks' displays very good taste in diesels but I assume the blue Derby Type 2 is a temporary interloper from another time...:D

You are absolutely right about the blood and custards. Now that I have obtained some more maroon mk1s, the blood and custard rake has been retired for now. When my steam fleet is ready, they will be brought out again and the clock turned back a few years. The maroon mk1s seem to have been in short supply recently.

I must admit to being a little bemused by your reference to a Blue Derby Type 2, I can't find it!!

• RMweb Premium

I'm another one late to this party. Just read from the start and this is some seriously impressive work. Already it has a feel to it that just oozes Northern grime. :)

Cheers

Dave

Having completed the metalwork for the roof I have now been able to complete the station buildings and get rid of the mass of bare plastikard that has been dominating the station end of the layout for so long. As time is running short, I will leave the glazing for now and concentrate on other more essential tasks like some detailing inside the station, the road bridge and the bare board opposite the tunnel entrance. Anyway, thought you might like to see what it looks like so far:-

post-10660-0-43490200-1303121564_thumb.jpg

The Skipton DMU is the first to depart from under the roof.

post-10660-0-96567700-1303121571_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-08048000-1303121577_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-40627600-1303121582_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-82570900-1303121587_thumb.jpg

D45 pulls into platform 3 with the 0914 from Morecombe Prom

post-10660-0-88756200-1303121593_thumb.jpg

The end of the line from the loading dock arches.

Hi,

I was going to comment the other day on the superb line up of Peaks and other motive power, but that station roof is brilliant.B) B) The time it's taken to build it too. It would me months to do anything like that.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

May I belatedly join the end of the long queue of folk admiring your work. Most of the compliments have already been paid, but I must thank you for your detailed method of window production. I have far fewer to do, but have lacked the courage to start with the tape and glazing. I will get a test done today, having seen how well and consistently you find the technique can be applied.

I hope your forthcoming exhibition debut gets the adulation such a very fine layout surely deserves.

Another latecomer to this layout - wonderful atmospheric photos under the roof, you can smell the diesel fumes and feel the slight chill off the platforms. And I know it's been there since the beginning but I love the sawtooth fascia!

Very well done, and good luck with the exhibition debut - hope to see it myself sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived