Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Using Railroad and Co for British Signalling - Pas deux

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

No route selected - s105 red and s106 yellow - flagman black

You haven't set s106 to red to start, double click it to open the properties dialog and the click the "test" signal in the connection tab

post-6662-0-63970700-1296205270_thumb.jpg

Try and that and then retest, if it's not working please post again your tests and the results.

cheers,

• RMweb Gold

yep ready and raring to go. If you could just explain it in the simplest terms for us novices to get our heads round ;)

:P

From now on I will continue, try my best to explain whatever I've covered/am covering and pause for a few days, if no-one asks questions I will assume everyone is happy, so if anyone has any questions then please ask, otherwise I will move on.

• RMweb Gold

This is another simple step which has massive implications for panels.

I'm going to introduce interlocking and the like, this will be simplified, the Widnes panel has virtually every rule possible implemented, but this a tutorial about using RR and not prototype signalling (well not in too much depth)

When a route is set on the prototype all sorts of things happen - one of which is a thing called flank protection, basically changing points, not in the route, to provide protection (or as much as possible) for the train.

Set the route from 107 signal to 903, this will reverse points 501/502/503 and 504, cancel the route again, these are left set.

post-6662-0-99911700-1296735632_thumb.jpg

If we then set the route from 105, part of the crossover remains set (I have assumed all points are independent for the purpose of this discussion, yes crossovers would probably 9but not always) be worked as a pair, but doing it this way demonstrates the principle quite easily)

post-6662-0-62691100-1296735757_thumb.jpg

So what's the solution ?

We add an operation to the route from 105 to 903 - select turnout, choose the correct turnout and add it to the operations, before the clearing of the signal, once again remove the lock (this prevents other elements from changing it, which is fine sometimes, but can cause problems so I always remove it) and ensure you set the point to straight through (double click it in the right hand pane)

post-6662-0-99461800-1296736100_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-92377500-1296736101_thumb.jpg

Try it !

post-6662-0-90567700-1296736102_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-83704500-1296736103_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK I'll admit defeat. I tried all sorts of ways to stop it being set manually but none of them worked!

I have set up my routes from every signal including the GPL and Subs, and flagmen to change the aspect of signal 501 for main line and loop routes so some of the tutorial has sunk in!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

the incorrect stepping up of signal 106 is correct ! - at the moment, I will be locking that out soon

I will be covering point locking very soon.

Cheers - and welcome aboard :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Awesome. Notebook and pen ready for the next lesson! :)

Looking for forward to Ally Pally next weekend - hopefully will be able to get down on the Sunday to see Widnes again.

Cheers,

Paul

Come and chat :)

• 5 months later...

Hi there

I'm also new to this forum, and will in the next while work through the examples given. I'm really interested in seeing how you can customise how the signals look on screen - do you need Gold for this - and also the operation of a four aspect signal with a route feather.

As I see no posts have been added since March, has this tutorial stopped or gone elsewhere?

Thanks

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I'm also new to this forum, and will in the next while work through the examples given. I'm really interested in seeing how you can customise how the signals look on screen - do you need Gold for this - and also the operation of a four aspect signal with a route feather.

As I see no posts have been added since March, has this tutorial stopped or gone elsewhere?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

I had a major health scare in February, I then moved job and house over the following few months and between chasing trains at weekends and my new extended family life I don;t get as much time as I used to. I will try and finish this to a logical point at some stage over the coming months but I will answer any questions you may have (if I can!)

You are correct, the Gold version is the only one which allows customisation of the images, and to me is one of the "GRRR" parts of RR

Our feathers are controlled by being treated as a normal signal, for example - for one feather you can use a simple red/green and use a flagman to determine when the feather should light. As I am OTT about it being correct on Widnes the feathers light first, then there is a 1 second pause for it to be "proved" and then the main aspect lights - just like the prototype (the delay varies, very quick on relay controlled lockings, slower on IECC).

We don't have 4-aspects but I would use a second head for the extra yellow, and again use flagmen to determine when it's lit.

Ask away if I can help more,

hth

Wow - that sounds like a top 3 list of major stress life events! I trust you are feeling back to normal after your health scare?

What you have said there is enough for me to get going with ordering some signals and trying out the Bronze version of RR&Co. Thanks for your offer of help - but I am not in a rush, so don't be surprised if you don't hear from me between now and Christmas.

hth?

Hi David N,

I would suggest that the minimum level of RR&Co you use is Silver. You will fast run out of options with Bronze and regret not having gone for a higher level to start with.

Do have a play and I think you will find Bronze too basic for your needs.

Sorry to jump in Dave but I thought it important to highlight this.

TTG

Archived