BR mk1 maroon lining

kpugh77

Hi ladies and gents,

As I grow older so I have found my modeling interest is moving as well, from Stanier LMS to 50's BR. All of this requires acquiring mk1 coaching stock. I have noticed on a couple of models, (Dapol & Airfix) that the lining is in grey! All of the searching I have done on the web results in examples of Dirty Gold only on thereal thing.

Not having at this time any hardcopy refernce material, I thought that the vast wealth of knowledge on 'RMweb' may provide the answer. Is it, as I believe, a mistake by the model maker? Or is this correct?

Kev

From BR Mk1 coaches [supplement] by Keith Parkin:

Above windows

1/8 inch line golden yellow

1/4 inch line black

Lining Below Windows

1/4 inch line black

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

"Golden Yellow" weathered fairly quickly to the "dirty gold" described by OP. Ex-works vehicles would appear with the lining distinctly yellow and almost looking wrong against a train of weathered coaches. For my money the Mainline coaches had the shades about right for a well-run vehicle but the lining was grossly over-scale whereas current Bachmann coaches feature a slightly yellow shade (more or less the Golden Yellow of official nomenclature and matching the pristine appearance of the vehicles) and far more accurately represented for thickness.

From BR Mk1 coaches [supplement] by Keith Parkin:

Above windows

1/4 inch line black

Lining Below Windows

1/4 inch line black

Jeremy

Unfortunately Jeremy, the diagram in Parkin is - putting it politely - fiction. 1/8" yellow lines rolleyes.gif indeed.

The correct dimensions for a BR Maroon painted vehicle are;

Above the bodylights; A

3/8" Yellow Line

1/2" Black Line

and below the bodylights

3/8" Yellow Line

1" Black Line

3/8" Yellow Line

If only perhaps to illustrate the correct size - see this shot of Robert Carroll's (albeit in black and white)

Bob will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong here but my understanding is that the lining colour changed on maroon compared to crimson/cream. On crimson/cream stock the colours were black and gold whereas on maroon the gold colour was replaced by lining yellow, which was a pale, almost cream, shade when first applied but which appears to have darkened with dirt etc over time.

This photo illustrates the lining yellow.

Archived