Fordingbridge

Tim Hale

Last month's site visit to the S&DJR took in Breamore - the results are in the Galleries section- however I also took the opportunity to measure the outside of the station building to create a dimensioned sketch.

Anyone contemplating building Breamore might find the sketch somewhat useful as it reveals some surprising features that are non-standard. If you need a copy - it is a pdf file- send a PM.

DesA

Duncan

The drawings were excellent and a great help, thank you. All the dimensions required for modelling it to scale were shown, and enough information for the internal to also be modeled. This will be done later, at the moment the inside consists of the unloading bay at the correct height and the sliding doors on the two side openings, which do work so I can set a scene with them open,closed or partly open, whatever. I have to build a crane for the inside, so a bit of research is required.

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Following the SWAG event in Taunton, it is evident that there is a small group of RMweb and SEMG members who share an interest in the S&DJR.

Rather than making a mental note and moving on, may I suggest that something such as a loose group could form if only to exchange information about the line? Nothing more formal than a common interest? I have been collecting photos and snippets of information for the past thirty years and have published my father's collection of photos in RMweb galleries but I have never been asked to share the information.

If interested, please send a PM

DesA

Gentlemen,

Following the SWAG event in Taunton, it is evident that there is a small group of RMweb and SEMG members who share an interest in the S&DJR.

Rather than making a mental note and moving on, may I suggest that something such as a loose group could form if only to exchange information about the line? Nothing more formal than a common interest? I have been collecting photos and snippets of information for the past thirty years and have published my father's collection of photos in RMweb galleries but I have never been asked to share the information.

If interested, please send a PM

DesA

Hello Tim,

Just to make sure that I am not at cross purposes, I assume that you mean the Salisbury and Dorset Junction this time. So yes, I shall pm later this evening. I need a suitable legend for a cross country terminus, in Mid Wessex, with a track plan that now looks like a simplified Padsta'.

PB

• 4 weeks later...

I've been busy laying track for my Fordingbridge layout, points etc all wired up and the whole fully tested over a period of weeks. Now I can get back to building more structures, and have started with the signal box and lamp hut.

post-11197-0-14348600-1306065599_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-89750400-1306065641_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-87258900-1306065685_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-87151400-1306065701_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest jonte

Last month's site visit to the S&DJR took in Breamore - the results are in the Galleries section- however I also took the opportunity to measure the outside of the station building to create a dimensioned sketch.

Anyone contemplating building Breamore might find the sketch somewhat useful as it reveals some surprising features that are non-standard. If you need a copy - it is a pdf file- send a PM.

DesA

Hi DesA

I'm new to the site, having recently decided to build my layout set in the Castleman's Corkscrew area of Hampshire and I'd be really interested to know where I can find the Model Galleries section to access the pictures of the real structures and plans of Breamore as well as those of that wonderful model of Fordingbridge.

Thank you also for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

Best wishes,

Jonte

• 2 weeks later...

Jonte,

The pictures are not in the Model Galleries area, instead try here: Prototype Galleries

As there are a few galleries; Downton, Breamore, Fordingbridge, etc. you need to browse through the section.

There are no actual plans of Breamore, as far as I am aware, however I did make a dimensioned sketch of the base of the main building which helps anyone attempting to build a model.

I also have a fairly comprehensive collection of photos of the S&DJR which have not been posted on the prototype galleries.

Tim

Guest jonte

Jonte,

The pictures are not in the Model Galleries area, instead try here: Prototype Galleries

As there are a few galleries; Downton, Breamore, Fordingbridge, etc. you need to browse through the section.

There are no actual plans of Breamore, as far as I am aware, however I did make a dimensioned sketch of the base of the main building which helps anyone attempting to build a model.

I also have a fairly comprehensive collection of photos of the S&DJR which have not been posted on the prototype galleries.

Tim

You're a gentleman, Tim, thank you.

Shame we can't see the rest of your photographic collection; I know it would have been of great benefit to me.

Best wishes,

Jonte (Jon)

Downton, it kept to the east of the Hampshire Avon before crossing the valley to Breamore (extant) and the crossing the A38 at Burgate,

The line of this old track is still visible on Google Satellite and seems to cross the river about half way between Downton and Breamore on a distinct skew. There isn't much of a valley here and the river meanders all over the place and is quite shallow in places.

After Burgate, the line reaches its largest station, Fordingbridge,

The line here seems to be well to the west of Fordingbridge itself which is a bit hilly anyway. it looks athough it skirts a small hamlet called Ashford

to Alderholt. The station was named Daggons Road (see model galleries) to prevent confusion with Aldershot although the LSWR would normally choose an adjacent feature as the alternate name, the next feature in Alderholt was Charing Cross - not really suitable, therefore the station acquired the name from a local farm - Daggons. This delightful station was home to a unique ground frame with a pagoda roof and a double ended siding (not a crossing point), luckily the substantial stationmaters house has survived, behind the station was a pottery, one of many in the Verwood area.

The word Daggons appears a lot in the area and recalling that there is a lot of farming history hereabouts ( Alderholt has an historic water wheel which has been restored to working condition ) I suspect that the Daggons Estate or farm was quite large and well known to the locals. The railway would be very much new fangled to these people.

Small geography point. It isn't A38 it is A338.

It is a shame that these railways were lifted. There are huge commercial sand deposits between Fordingbridge and Ringwood and the number of road trips is awesome and rising as new deposits are opened up. All this is now in the New Forest National Park

• 1 month later...

Having previously posted a few photos of structures I've built for my layout based on Fordingbridge I thought an update would be timely. The station area is still very much 'work in progress' as the following pictures show, however I think there's enough work done to give an impression of what I'm trying to achieve.

View from the embankment with the road bridge to the left, out of shot.

post-11197-0-49185600-1313956388_thumb.jpg

From the other end of the station opposite the signal box.

post-11197-0-72756000-1313956485_thumb.jpg

Looking down from track level. Scenic work on the left is in progress, as can be seen.

post-11197-0-67954600-1313956615_thumb.jpg

From the middle of the yard with a view of the rear of the station building, cattle dock and road bridge.

post-11197-0-67840600-1313956828_thumb.jpg

Stood on the bank looking down on the station and goods yard.

post-11197-0-17847400-1313956993_thumb.jpg

From the opposite side of the tracks looking through the complex with the Railway Hotel in the distance.

post-11197-0-41969400-1313957114_thumb.jpg

Having previously posted a few photos of structures I've built for my layout based on Fordingbridge I thought an update would be timely. The station area is still very much 'work in progress' as the following pictures show, however I think there's enough work done to give an impression of what I'm trying to achieve.

Gosh, Bill. This is what many of us would give our back teeth to achieve.

PB

Archived