LSWR Marker

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

Hi guys. I walked the Camel Trail on the week end and came a cross what looks like an LSWR rail marker. It was in the hedge at Tregunna. Could anyone possibly shed some information on it.

post-6777-0-04559000-1303757547_thumb.jpg

Aye - it is a LSWR boundary marker - it has a "tail" that extends about 18" into the ground in a slight flair with a long oval shaped cut-out in the "tail". Designed to be pretty immovable.

They were painted bright red.

Aye - it is a LSWR boundary marker - it has a "tail" that extends about 18" into the ground in a slight flair with a long oval shaped cut-out in the "tail". Designed to be pretty immovable.

They were painted bright red.

I have one that had presumably been uprooted by agricultural activity across a closed line. It currently resides hundreds of miles from it's original location, but a planned retirement in Cornwall should see it migrating back to very near its old haunts.

The information re painting is invaluable - I've been wanting to restore it for years.

I suppose that we're talking signal red?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Talking of old railway-related castings ... I have the aluminium identification plate of a BR B-size container.

I found it lying on the ground adjacent to the derelict container in a field in the Yorkshire Dales.

It still lies unrestored around my railway room but I was astounded, whilst watching an episode of "All Creatures Great and Small", to see the self-same container, (in somewhat better condition), in the background of a scene in which Mrs. Hall cycles back from a country show and is overtaken by James Herriot in his car.

When the plate is eventually restored I shall fix a note to the reverse giving its provenance!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 6 years later...

Apologies, for digging up such an old thread, but I also have one of these which came from that part of the world.  Many years ago, my dad found it in some bushes while we were on holiday, IIRC Dad seemed to think that someone had dug it up and was carrying it back to civilisation when the weight became too much. Likewise I only found out about 2 years ago that they were bright red.

Archived