What are you modelling?

Actually Jim gave me an idea of using "N" to get the sheer breadth of the desert South West in Arizona on the BNSF mainline around Winslow - the length of the intermodel trains down there is limited somewhat (even though the mainline is beautifully double tracked) to about 1.4 miles which is about 40 real feet! I don't believe my wallet would stand ten trains an hour...........

Luckily the USA is still blessed with plenty of shortlines all over the place with interesting locos and stock.

Best, Pete.

I always like that line in The Eagles song "Take it Easy" - "I was standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona". It has a real beat to it.

Edited by mobi323
  • Like 1

My project, if I ever get my garage completely cleared, is Spilsby as it may have been in the late 50's and 60's, (had it not been for Beeching), it has been demolished and the only remaining part is the goods shed, (see disused_stations). I have different parts of it on the go, just need to get my act together and tie it all up. It will be 0gauge and hopefully be able to mate with the 0gauge modular group. I have all the OS maps and a good amount of photo's.

With regard to Pete's (trisonic) message about the length of freight in the US, a friend of mine when on holiday near Detroit was stopped at a crossing for 1 1/2 hours waiting for 2 trains to pass. He had just got to the crossing when the lights came on, a freight started to come past, as the final wagons were passing another freight came the other way, if he was not a railway fan he would not have been amused, he told me it was near a freight yard.

webbo

• RMweb Gold

I am modelling a 2mmFS extract of the Looe line from Coombe Junction to Moorswater.

The era is 1980, BR blue allowing the overlap of class 25 and class 37's on the clay hoods.

I am contemplating a future extension which includes the incline to Liskeard and the picturesque branch to Looe station (omitting all the stations in between)

I have a blog and am currently building an extract from the extract for the 2011 diorama competition.

Edited by bcnPete

I always like that line in The Eagles song "Take it Easy" - "I was standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona". It has a real beat to it.

You will not believe this but as we were passing Winslow I said to my Wife, "Remember Take it Easy? ###### me it then came on the radio - made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

If you go into town there a corner with a Girl with flat bed Ford that you can have you photo took with....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have two N Gauge projects on the go at the moment, Sheffield Victoria west set in the 1960's and a model of David Jenkinsons Garsdale Road which was based upon Dent also set in the 1960's, some time ago I constructed Ryde Esplanade on the Isle of Wight also in N Gauge set in the 1970's to 1990's with the tube stock trains, which has now been sold on. I have fancied another go in 4mm using the EFE tube trains.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

In 00 a layout closely based on Armathwaite on the Settle and Carlisle, pre 1914 though my modern image stock does turn up from time to time.

In N not a particular place but an amalgam of stations on the Swiss Sudostbahn, one of the private standard gauge railways in Switzerland.

The 0 gauge layout is a "never was" at Oxton, Nottinghamshire, but I have drawn it out on a map and constructed a timetable using a 1922 Midland Railway working timetable to check train times at the would have been junction, Lowdham.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all , as some of you know im modelling canonbury station and surroundings from early /late 70s in 'n' gauge. Im already in some progress and im constantly looking for info and photos of that time, as i used that line many times as a boy with my dad back then. I just wished i had a decent camera then? as it would have been easier to model. Still alot of the old house buildings are still there and was lucky to visit back in 2003 before refurbishment although, it had lost the urinal that sat in the center of the road, it was demolished in 1990. Anyway a fair way to go yet.

Mark.

It's nice to see people doing some 2mm and N models of real locations. They always seem much more convincing to me than most of the invented N gauge layouts going the rounds, which tend to have too much crammed in.

After many years of planning, I am making a start on Dulverton Station circa 1962 in N gauge, though with the layout and buildings in 2mm scale (in case I want to go finescale). Dulverton had a three way point that is an exact match for the new Peco Code 55, and the appearance of this and getting my railway space insulated and decorated is the spur to get started. I have the station baseboards ordered from Model Railway Solutions and should get them the next week or so.

I am currently working on the platforms using Sundeala surfaced with plastic sheet, and can't believe how long and curvy these actually were in the prototype.

Douglas

Something a bit different, I'm building the Hirschsprung on the Höllentalbahn (near Freiburg) in 1:220. Getting the scenery right has been a mission, the Hirschsprung is a very narrow part of a deep valley with a road in the bottom, so not a lot of people are able to stop and take pictures, and those that do tend to point their cameras straight up to capture the famous statue of a stag. But it's getting there slowly:

6241952881_0cfb340b4b_z.jpg

Three weeks to go by Will Vale, on Flickr

6219959368_8094344f42_z.jpg

Since I took these pictures I've moved the spikey rock (the blue one) about 3" to the left since I found a Google Maps update which suggested I'd got the arrangement wrong. Of course this was spotted after it was all carved and painted. At least I can say I'm moving mountains in pursuit of prototype accuracy :D

More here: http://www.rmweb.co....15/cat-190-1220

Cheers,

Will

Edited by Will Vale

• 3 months later...

Howdo all,

Im part owner of the layout of Glasgow Queen Street '88, that can be found in the Layout topic section of the forum.

The beast will be 12ft long by 3ft wide for the scenic section, and specificly modeled in the year of 1988, which is when the team feals was the best and final year for propper traction up there!

Also as a side project im planning to build a model of the now long gone Shandon Station that ust to sit just below Garelochhead on the line to Oban And Fort Bill and such. But more on this later :D

Ta for now

Chris W

• 4 months later...

Just to keep the thread going, I'm building Blodwell Junction on the Tanat Valley and nantmawr branches of the Cambrian in 2mm Finescale. With a smidge of artistic license, any period from the opening of the TVLR to the major track prune of the 50s can be modelled. (The platform changed a little at some point, in the GWR era the TVLR was relaid inchaired rail throughout and the station nameboard was at some point relocated to the signal box - other than that it stayed pretty much unchanged)

I plan to use maybe a little more motive power variety than the realthing, using Cambrian0-6-0s, 0-4-0STs and the like as well a the mainstay 2-4-0Ts.I hope to be able to add a collett goods and an autotrain as well for later era running, and if I get real adventurous perhaps even an Ivatt class 2, though the prospect of all that valve gear scares me.

Cambrian stuff is all being scratch built, I hope there's going to be some help from proprietary kis for the GWR stuff!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just to keep the thread going, I'm building Blodwell Junction on the Tanat Valley and nantmawr branches of the Cambrian in 2mm Finescale. With a smidge of artistic license, any period from the opening of the TVLR to the major track prune of the 50s can be modelled. (The platform changed a little at some point, in the GWR era the TVLR was relaid inchaired rail throughout and the station nameboard was at some point relocated to the signal box - other than that it stayed pretty much unchanged)

I plan to use maybe a little more motive power variety than the realthing, using Cambrian0-6-0s, 0-4-0STs and the like as well a the mainstay 2-4-0Ts.I hope to be able to add a collett goods and an autotrain as well for later era running, and if I get real adventurous perhaps even an Ivatt class 2, though the prospect of all that valve gear scares me.

Cambrian stuff is all being scratch built, I hope there's going to be some help from proprietary kis for the GWR stuff!

Just caught up with this, Richard, and it looks really interesting. I'm a big fan of the TVR and had often thought that Blodwell Junction would make a good model. Shame it's just a field these days! My favourite section is the area around Porth-y-Waen and I've done a few Templots of potential 2FS layouts of that section. Not expecting that they are likely to be built anytime soon but it's nice to dream.

In the meantime keep us informed of how it's all going, especially if you were to come up with some nice etched kits :-)

David

• 1 month later...

I am building model of Lyminge Station as it was in the 1920's before the line was singled by the Southern Railway. I used Xtrcad to assist with plotting the curves, and so far have completed laying the track. I am posting regular updates on the Southern sub-forum.

Im am in the throws of my first and probably only project - Wolverhampton Low Level in the Pre nationalisation era. the plan is to model Low level, and model Tettenhall and Wombourne station through the branch line with associated land marks [in a circuit]

i dont have a space to work with at the moment, but being a CAD technician by trade i'll be using computers and digital throughout the planning and construction. tentative target years are the thirties, Tettenhall was closed to passengers in 1933 [i think] but i might bend the rules slightly and have it open to passengers set in 1935 sort of era. i dont want to go too early!

I grew up with this branch line in a disused state [beeching axe] and always wanted to imagine what it would look like.

oh and its in 00 gauge. the main work will be in the landscaping and scenery for me.

Edited by dbanbery

Hi all

I am modelling perhaps the most disliked station on our system, birmingham New Street although I am modelling it during 1986/87 when at least the trains were interesting! The model covers from the Wolverhampton tunnel mouth to as far as proof house junction. This will be my lifetime project

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

they were much more interesting pre-WW1.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

The pretty little village of Beer is often overlooked yet is the home to one of our major suppliers - Peco. It has even got a railway with several "stations" as the Beer Heights Light Railway runs through the extensive gardens of the Pecorama premises. It never had a main line railway however but was barely 2 miles from the SR terminus at Seaton.

I intend to rectify that.

The full detail is contained here : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59010-beer-anyone/ but in short I shall be extending the Seaton branch to a more logical terminus at Beer with plans going onto paper now and work due to start in October. Phase two will also see a line cut "on the cheap" (or in the manner of Col. Stephens) to go beyond Beer via Branscombe to the next SR branch at Sidmouth and thus create a coastal link.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having tried to start a small group here with a few fellow modelers which fell through I was left with a few bits of British OO stock so after about 12 months delay and one house move I've roughly decided on what I want it's now time to find the right prototype.

Space is a big problem the boards we had already built had to be taken down and I am now down to a layout size of approximately 16' by 2'6 to 3' for the scenic section and allowing 4' to 6' for a staging area. I came across a useful website GWR Modelling and read a few pieces on avoiding the cliche. Brentford/ Brentford dock took my fancy but I felt it was a bit too much to take on So I dug around and came across a page on Staines West which I think is 99% of what I am after. As were not sure if were going to buy the house we are living in I am restricted to a small garage of 26' by 14' which I share with other houshold item, if we do stay then an option would be to make space and add the Linoleum works as an industry instead of off stage.

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For many years I have been returning to the theme of Dewsbury Midland. I had an OO version in my late teens. This time, I have been planning for N.

Three things have slowed me down:

- time (two businesses on the go plus other commitments);

- space (even in N, Dewsbury needs about 24' to do it justice);

- track (I'm not that happy with Peco but don't want to have to convert N gauge steam locos to 9.42mm).

I'm still struggling on the time issue but I have taken a change of course which will hopefully enable me to get started. I am now planning to model Tamworth LL station which only needs 12' length in N (allowing for the fact that the HL station provides one of the scenic breaks and I am therefore only modelling part of the LL station). Boards will be simpler - I may even buy kits for flat-top - and will hopefully be ready for when FineTrax products become available at the end of this year.

High Level station may follow in due course with an additional three baseboards.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have just joined the forum, sorry for being late!

I am scratch building a 1/76 scale model of the bus station and garage from my home town, I moved away in 1979 and the bus station was demolished in the early 80s, I'm building it mostly from memory and a couple of old photos of buses in the bus station with parts of it in the background.

I'm using brick paper etc. from scalescenes.com and 2mm mounting card from Hobbycraft, I'm also using evergreen plastic rods, strips etc.

I've been working on it for the last three years but it doesn't seem to be progressing, maybe it's because I only work on it for a couple of hours a month, (my wife always seems to find something else for me to do just as I'm about to start working on it) also I live in a flat and the only place I can work on it is in the bedroom!

I have 26 United buses crying out for a bus garage, they are currently on display along with the rest of all my 300 odd models cars, buses and lorries.

I'll get it finished one day and display it on here.

Edited by rhymad

I have just joined the forum, sorry for being late!

I am scratch building a 1/76 scale model of the bus station and garage from my home town, I moved away in 1979 and the bus station was demolished in the early 80s, I'm building it mostly from memory and a couple of old photos of buses in the bus station with parts of it in the background.

I'm using brick paper etc. from scalescenes.com and 2mm mounting card from Hobbycraft, I'm also using evergreen plastic rods, strips etc.

I've been working on it for the last three years but it doesn't seem to be progressing, maybe it's because I only work on it for a couple of hours a month, (my wife always seems to find something else for me to do just as I'm about to start working on it) also I live in a flat and the only place I can work on it is in the bedroom!

I have 26 United buses crying out for a bus garage, they are currently on display along with the rest of all my 300 odd models cars, buses and lorries.

I'll get it finished one day and display it on here.

Where is the place you are modelling?

• 2 weeks later...

I am modelling Littlemore on the Oxford to Princes Risborough secondary line in 2mm as it could/would/should have been around 1920. A spur still exists to the car plant at Cowley but nothing else is left apart from the road overbridge. All the photographs I have seen apart from a partial view in an aerial photograph are taken from this end of the station and the signal box was quite short lived so there are many questions that I don't (and probably never will) have answers to and so a good amount of educated guessing will be done to finish within a reasonable timescale.

No topic because progress is as a blog on this site (link below). I very much hope to be working above the baseboard on the interesting visible parts soon. 

I've also collected the DMUs I would need to model a stretch of line through Darton, S. Yorks in the early 90's but that is otherwise a distant pipe-dream.