Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

SKF roller bearing axleboxes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jwealleans

jwealleans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:49

This is what I'm looking to model:

axlebox_zpsebadba9f.jpg

Photo of preserved van in National Railway Museum, York courtesy of and copyright Jon Hall.

Does anyone do anything close? The nearest I've found are the Comet TS3 tender roller bearing castings, which I'd have to file down and remove the springs from.

Edited by jwealleans, 21 June 2013 - 09:25 .

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 Horsetan

Horsetan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:04

Have a look at MJT's range (available via Dart Castings):

>>>Would this be what you're after?

#3 jwealleans

jwealleans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:29

Cheers, HT; I looked at that one, but decided it was too different. If that's as near as I can get I may as well scratchbuild them.

#4 Ian Fisher

Ian Fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationBurton-Upon-Trent

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:43

I am 90% sure the Appleby did the spring and axle box. Very fine crisp patterns.

Ian

#5 Horsetan

Horsetan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:47

I am 90% sure the Appleby did the spring and axle box. Very fine crisp patterns.

...and long unavailable :(

#6 (The) Youth

(The) Youth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:58

4A06 SKF Axlebox heavy duty possibly

Still showing on my latest list (not the most up to date)

hth Simon

#7 Ian Fisher

Ian Fisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationBurton-Upon-Trent

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:59

How old is your list Simon?

#8 Pennine MC

Pennine MC

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  • LocationAvoiding dystopia

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:07

AFAIK the MJT one *is* the Appleby one - John Talbot did the masters for quite a bit of their range

#9 cctransuk

cctransuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:25

This seems to be the general opinion - but John Talbot was happy to supply me with 4mm. scale RIV ferry buffers, springs and axleboxes VERY recently.

Sometimes it pays to go to the manufacturer directly, rather than accept 'received wisdom' !

Regards,
John Isherwood.

#10 jwealleans

jwealleans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 15:27

Well thank you all for that - Appleby are not a company I've ever dealt with or seen at a show, so it looks as if a letter is in order.

#11 Fat Controller

Fat Controller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,495 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 16:38

This is what I'm looking to model:

Posted Image

Photo of preserved van in National Railway Museum, York courtesy of and copyright Jon Hall.

Does anyone do anything close? The nearest I've found are the Comet TS3 tender roller bearing castings, which I'd have to file down and remove the springs from.

What vehicle are these on? They're a vey strange mixture of a 'Hybox' or 'Asthermos' axlebox and SKF bearing cover, which I can't recollect having seen anywhere else.

#12 craigwelsh

craigwelsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 16:43

What vehicle are these on? They're a vey strange mixture of a 'Hybox' or 'Asthermos' axlebox and SKF bearing cover, which I can't recollect having seen anywhere else.

Pretty sure its the ferry van they have at the NRM, looks a bit like one of those international things Lima kept putting in train sets. This in fact: http://www.flickr.co...N03/5047032964/

#13 Pennine MC

Pennine MC

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  • LocationAvoiding dystopia

Posted 09 June 2011 - 16:48

They're a vey strange mixture of a 'Hybox' or 'Asthermos' axlebox and SKF bearing cover,

I dont think the box is big enough for either of those

#14 jwealleans

jwealleans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 20:26

Craig's got it; 1934 HFA van built for the PLM for what was then the new Calais - Harwich ferry service. To be seen at the NRM.

#15 cctransuk

cctransuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 21:45

Pretty sure its the ferry van they have at the NRM, looks a bit like one of those international things Lima kept putting in train sets. This in fact: http://www.flickr.co...N03/5047032964/

... and the Appleby RIV ferry springs and axleboxes should be pretty close. His RIV buffers may be useful too - round or oval.

Regards,
John Isherwood.