SKF roller bearing axleboxes

This is what I'm looking to model:

axlebox_zpsebadba9f.jpg

Photo of preserved van in National Railway Museum, York courtesy of and copyright Jon Hall.

Does anyone do anything close? The nearest I've found are the Comet TS3 tender roller bearing castings, which I'd have to file down and remove the springs from.

...and long unavailable :(

This seems to be the general opinion - but John Talbot was happy to supply me with 4mm. scale RIV ferry buffers, springs and axleboxes VERY recently.

Sometimes it pays to go to the manufacturer directly, rather than accept 'received wisdom' !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This is what I'm looking to model:

axlebox.jpg

Photo of preserved van in National Railway Museum, York courtesy of and copyright Jon Hall.

Does anyone do anything close? The nearest I've found are the Comet TS3 tender roller bearing castings, which I'd have to file down and remove the springs from.

What vehicle are these on? They're a vey strange mixture of a 'Hybox' or 'Asthermos' axlebox and SKF bearing cover, which I can't recollect having seen anywhere else.

What vehicle are these on? They're a vey strange mixture of a 'Hybox' or 'Asthermos' axlebox and SKF bearing cover, which I can't recollect having seen anywhere else.

Pretty sure its the ferry van they have at the NRM, looks a bit like one of those international things Lima kept putting in train sets. This in fact: DSCN6456 - PLM Goods Van 475014

Pretty sure its the ferry van they have at the NRM, looks a bit like one of those international things Lima kept putting in train sets. This in fact: DSCN6456 - PLM Goods Van 475014

... and the Appleby RIV ferry springs and axleboxes should be pretty close. His RIV buffers may be useful too - round or oval.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived