Tomytec tram track

Fenway Park

Hi,

You should be able to obtain the Tomytec tram track when it is released from Japan Model Railways in Kamen Germany as he is the European Agent. However, Dapol have been selling the Tomytec trams and chassis so they might sell the track as well.

Kato Unitram track should be available from Gaugemaster and their retailers.

Osborns Models in Bideford also stocks some Tomix Finetrack and other items.

Hope this helps. No connection with any of the above just a satisfied customer.

Malcolm

• RMweb Gold

Gaugemaster will be stocking the Kato track but they say just watch the website, Dapol are stocking the trams but after I ordered some they apologised and said there isn't enough demand for the normal Tomy track so don't hold your hopes up on them stocking the tram version.

Gaugemaster will be stocking the Kato track but they say just watch the website, Dapol are stocking the trams but after I ordered some they apologised and said there isn't enough demand for the normal Tomy track so don't hold your hopes up on them stocking the tram version.

Perfect timing for something I have in mind, now just to get hold of it. Will give Maurice a ring tomorrow.

Can anyone translate and tell me what they're actually selling? Looks to me like a double track oval, box set - but surely there must be other stuff in the range?

I've just spoken to Maurice at Osborns, who reckons he should be able to get the stuff on "special order" in about 2 weeks from Japan. He's going to look up the range and give me some prices, but the basic seems to be a 'box set' twin track oval as featured in the video on the blog above.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the track, would it be possible to use it to do track laid in concrete for example, a loco TMD or stabling point? Matching standard track up to this seems a lot easier than trying to bury track in clay/plastic sheet/card

Is it worth investigating?

cheers

jo

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picked up a set of the track inlay from Japan model railways at the Warley show. There's enough to do a small circuit and 3 different radii to match their finetrack.

There's also parts for a tram stop. It is a close match to foamboard for height as shown in the pics below.

post-6968-12590608574588_thumb.jpg

Fit the track spacers, that's kato track on the left.

post-6968-12590608654746_thumb.jpg

Add the infill sections

post-6968-1259060874755_thumb.jpg

finally the small infills between the rails, these will need gluing on as they slide around at the moment,

post-6968-12590608836313_thumb.jpg

Foamcore board alongside for height.

post-6968-12590608926167_thumb.jpg

post-6968-12590609014352_thumb.jpg

Width

post-6968-1259060916601_thumb.jpg

What you get, all the infill sections so you need to buy the track too.

post-6968-12590612720287_thumb.jpg

post-6968-12590612818064_thumb.jpg

post-6968-12590612953386_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Im looking at making a tramway on my layout, i already have the Tomytec Toyama tram to start me off with.

After seeing this Tomy tram sections, would it be possible to use it with peco flexi?

cheers,

Ste :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Im looking at making a tramway on my layout, i already have the Tomytec Toyama tram to start me off with.

After seeing this Tomy tram sections, would it be possible to use it with peco flexi?

cheers,

Ste smile.gif

Hi, I did a lot of research into this track system when I was going to build a modern era layout (I have decided to build an SNCF layout based in the 50's/60's now...). I estblished that it was not made for any other track system than the Tomix stuff. It is difficult but not impossible to obtain in the UK but I would advise that you find a UK dealer to assist you in obtaining the right bits for your layout.

That is not to say that you could clip the bits and make them fit Peco track. However the amount of work it would involve is significantly more than by buying the Tomix stuff.

• 10 months later...

I hope it isn't threadjacking too much to ask what trams are currently available in N. I'm aware of Duewag GT8s and GT10s(?) from Arnold, older 4 wheeled Duewags from Kato, the Centrams from Kato and Tomytec, and a Siemens Combino from Linie 8. Are there others out there?

• RMweb Premium

Plaza Japan are good; I have used them a lot. The shop I use the most in Japan have an impressive array of trams on their website...

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&SC=91&Typ=0&sortID=0&scope=1&urikire=1&andor=&scope2=0&ItKey=tram&SPage=1

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/574/0/1

Modemo do a few different prototypes, the latest (I think) being this

http://ngi.blog.eone...modemo/001.html

That's very nice, wouldn't look at all out of place in a European setting. Might even be a Siemens Combino looking at it, I'm not too hot on specific prototypes though. I must put tramway ideas to the back of my mind...

• 11 months later...

A quick Google for Tomix tram track bought up this thread so I've just ordered some - thanks for telling us about the supplier. I think, at last, I could be making a mini project which will keep me going until I have somewhere to build the O gauge branch line and OO gauge DCC sound terminus that have been bugging me for six months :)

I managed to pick up a couple of the Linie-8 Combino Hiroshima trams (http://raicho.home.xs4all.nl/model/tram/trams.html, scroll down) from Modelmasters in Weston Super Mare about 5 years ago on an (expensive) impulse purchase and they've sat in their boxes ever since. Tested on a piece of flexitrack, one runs beautifully but one has a bit of a click and smells rather warm after some running so I'll investigate that later.

I'll be building an urban scene based loosely on the Croydon tramlink, although quite what travelcard zone Hiroshima is in I'm not sure.

Archived