Hornby 8F

Saint Johnstoun

Not sure if you can find the correct livery, But I think they also ran in Iraq....

....and Iran. In fact, here's an opportunity to have a go at Iran State Railways no: 41-106, complete with Arabic script, oil-burning equipment, electric headlamp and front cowcatcher..... WD top-feed, anyone?

One other variation: LMS no. 8169 which was fitted with WD-style pony and driving wheels.

Those are very nice models. May I ask what paint you used for WD501 at Longmoor? I may need to touch up the paint on my Hornby Austerity tanks, even if I cannot raise the courage to try WD118, Brussels. I know the original paint used in the 1960s was Dulux Oxford Blue but adding the scale effect makes it harder to match.

Tony

• 3 months later...

The transfers for the TCDD 8F are just the design produced to a large scale, reduced to correct size in a word file and printed on crackback (self adhesive paper the same as address labels). They were then cut to size and stuck on the loco.

If you want a set send me a PM.

The WD and LMR transfers came from some old Microscale sheets I had when I was dabbling in US HO scale stuff.

So what is new about the conventional UK latest release?

They have not improved the major problem with the footplate valance from the look of it.

Black 5 with a ledge on the tender and an 8 F without a ledge on the loco.

Good old Hornby.

They should flog the Turkish version down the Edgware Road . :jester:

Bernard

I fail to understand what the previous poster is getting at? What is so wrong with the 8Fs and 5MTs as this definately needs more explanation as I have not come across this criticism before???

All models can be subject to minor detail faults, sometimes this is due to limitations of tooling etc.

In a perfect world 8Fs and Black Fives would stil be running today en masse.

• RMweb Premium

Could I just ask who produces the LMR nameplates? I have a Bachy "Sir Guy Williams" I'm keen to upgrade. Asking around the usual stands at shows has drawn a blank so far - are they a special commission?

Very nice locos BTW!

I fail to understand what the previous poster is getting at? What is so wrong with the 8Fs and 5MTs as this definately needs more explanation as I have not come across this criticism before???

Sorry. I thought it was fairly common knowledge. Well on my planet it is.

Coachman has made several comments abput the Black 5 tender. Brassmasters do a kit to correct the 8F.

Both faults are very obvious in photos. Still does not answer my question as to what updates Hornby have made to the new version. I must say for a weathered model it is probably the best RTR yet.

Bernard

So what is new about the conventional UK latest release?

They have not improved the major problem with the footplate valance from the look of it.

Black 5 with a ledge on the tender and an 8 F without a ledge on the loco.

Good old Hornby.

Bernard

There's been no promise of upgraded Stanier 5MT/8Fs AFAIK. The models currently on sale are essentially those earliest "present generation" models released, with limited modifications to incorporate DCC sockets, then DCC sound fittings. Or have I missed something?

There's been no promise of upgraded Stanier 5MT/8Fs AFAIK. The models currently on sale are essentially those earliest "present generation" models released, with limited modifications to incorporate DCC sockets, then DCC sound fittings. Or have I missed something?

I hadn't heard about any update so I was surprised to read it in the link to the Turkish variant.

Bernard

Archived