'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

Currently awaiting permission to gain access to, photograph and measure the former Raglan station building (4 miles down the road, still in remarkably original condition and currently part of a Monmouthshire County Council maintenance depot). I've been driving past it several times a week for years and only realised recently that it's the ideal size and style for my proposed country terminus (duh!).

As was in 1955... (...lovin' the pagoda goods shed), and as is... there have been rumours for a while that it's due to be transplanted to a museum site so I want to get all the detail just in case it actually happens and everything is reduced to a pile of numbered bricks and tagged timber.

David

What an inspiring prototype! Just been on Google Earth to find an overhead view and it looks as if somebody built a dual-carriageway along the line of the railway! Is that why there is a very large sign for the A40 in the modern view? Or is that just part of the County Council sign shop stock? :-)

S

David

I had understood that the 'boxed' panels didn't come in until 1964 and, judging from Paul Bartlett's photographs, "pre-boxed wagons" could still be found well into the 1970s. Paul has a superb photograph of B767293 at Yeovil Pen Mill in 1975 looking in pretty original condition:

http://paulbartlett....af4f7#h293af4f7

Some would appear to have had the TOPs code applied without ever receiving the boxed panel - see the VVV stencilled on the left hand end:

http://paulbartlett....be1c3#h3e311174

But, as you say, we're certainly in the 'prototype for everything' with this one!

S

Correct, 1964 for box style, and plenty still in original condition a decade and more later.

Black ground to the number panels did happen - see http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brvanplanked/e3e5d9d30

Paul Bartlett

Have a look at www.invertrain.com in their Highland castings range for a variety of signalboxes from small groundframe in a wriggly tin shelter to fair size GWR via Poppleton LNER, Highland Railway and G&SWR. Must admit to a connection here, I do his casting for him!

I spent quite a while admiring some of the Invertrains building range at the recent Bristol show Phil... one of the layouts featured several and very nice they are too! It could be said that I'm certifiable but I'm proposing to scratchbuild whatever I need building-wise... I think it has to do with the fact that there are so many superb ready-built structures available these days that it would be frightneningly easy to induce instant credit card meltdown if I took advantage of what's on offer. It's gonna be slow but there's a slim chance I might (just) be solvent when this layout's finished... ;-)

David

PS: And just in case anyone thinks I'm erring in the direction of disparaging inferences about the cost of things 7-mil... that's definitely not the case. For the last twelve years my wife and I have been running what I think the governement refer to these days as a 'micro business' - so small is doesn't even feature as a blip on the official 'small business' radar! Doing so gives me a profound respect for, and appreciation of, the cost, risk and comittment involved in what some of our suppliers do for us :-)

David,

I think the decision to scratchbuild your buildings is the best option. I guess it's a personal and skills question mostly, I actually enjoy that side of our hobby anyway.

At least your buildings will be unique although I can see the benefits in using kits and/or parts of kits for some situations but also need to ensure the individuality.

Alan.

PS Are you tempted by the Dapol 08 offering?

David,

I think the decision to scratchbuild your buildings is the best option. I guess it's a personal and skills question mostly, I actually enjoy that side of our hobby anyway.

At least your buildings will be unique although I can see the benefits in using kits and/or parts of kits for some situations but also need to ensure the individuality.

Alan.

PS Are you tempted by the Dapol 08 offering?

Cheers Alan, though I think judgement should be reserved until we see whether my my modelling abilities can match my enthusiasm and imagination (in 7-mil I'm thinking it's going to have to be serious 'realism' as opposed to the 'impressionism' I found so comforting in 2 and 4mm). That said I really enjoy creating buildings from scratch and once spent days (nay weeks if truth be told) building a 4mm scale portacabin because, nice though it is, the Knightwing kit didn't quite do it for me. I also find it rewarding to combine elements of the prototype (or prototypes) in ways which may not have existed in real life but are justifiable within the sort of 'might-have-been' environment I'm proposing - hence the idea of using the compact station building at Raglan (a group-standard GWR brick-built design with individual variations) at a terminus when the original served a through station, ;-)

On the other hand... I already have an advanced order in place for the Dapol 08. I'm thoroughly enjoying building rolling stock from kits (No 3, a Slaters BR Standard Brake Van currently on order) but there is no way I could even dream of creating a model to the sort of standards to which today's r-t-r locos are produced (especially at the sort of prices proposed). However, at risk of repeating myself I'd sell body parts and mortgage relatives for a Class 22/D63xx* 'Baby Warship' to the standard of their 4mm model :-)

David

* [Correction] Apparently I've been erroneously calling 'Baby Warships' D22xx again (don't know why, maybe it's an age thing ;-) Thanks to 'daifly' for pointing out that if I'm using the 'D' prefix description this should, of course be followed by '63xx'. Perhaps I should just stick with calling them 'Baby Warships' because that's how I was introduced to them as a young spotter.

Correct, 1964 for box style, and plenty still in original condition a decade and more later.

Black ground to the number panels did happen - see http://PaulBartlett....anked/e3e5d9d30

Paul Bartlett

Mr Bartlett you are a legend! Where would wagon modellers be without your comittment to the subject, your awesome knowledge and that photo archive? If you were a barrister I'm guessing you'd be the only one who could convincingly argue and offer incontrovertible evidence for both sides! Thanks Paul, I am now up to my knees in options and seriously considering the modelling equivalent of 'pin the tail on the donkey' as a method of making my choice ;-)

David

What an inspiring prototype! Just been on Google Earth to find an overhead view and it looks as if somebody built a dual-carriageway along the line of the railway! Is that why there is a very large sign for the A40 in the modern view? Or is that just part of the County Council sign shop stock? :-)

Everything about the former Raglan station is ticking boxes right, left and centre as inspiration for my planned model Stephen. Amazingly, when the A40 between Raglan and Monmouth was built they followed the railway trackbed 'except' at the stations! Raglan survived untouched though immediately alongside the dual-carriageway (that sign is for the sliproad I take on my way home at least three times a week these days). I can see Dingestow's former station buildings (the station itself now offices) across the valley if I look out of the window to my left whilst typing this - again within feet of the road. Raglan and Dingestow are rural locations but even Monmouth Troy survived until it was transplanted to the Gloucestershire & Warickshire Railway at Winchcombe. Sadly Monmouth May Hill didn't make it but the A40 passes on the other side of the river and so didn't wave its magic wand there (although the remains of the platform are identifiable). Possibly rare examples of trackbed destruction by roadway which actually resulted in the survival of significant railway heritage? But I can also think of Panteg & Griffithstown (nr Pontypool), and Ashburton, and... (oh well ;-)

D

...However, at risk of repeating myself I'd sell body parts and mortgage relatives for a D22xx 'Baby Warship' to the standard of their 4mm model

I feel sure that you'd prefer a so-called Class 22 D63xx!

Cheers

Dave

I feel sure that you'd prefer a so-called Class 22 D63xx!

Thanks for the correction Dave... I shall now write 500 times: 'It's either Class 22 or D63xx not some wierd hybrid of the two!" (...but I won't do it here because that would be a bit strange). How long it'll stick I don't know, I think it's an age thing... ;-)

D

Mr Bartlett you are a legend! Where would wagon modellers be without your comittment to the subject, your awesome knowledge and that photo archive? If you were a barrister I'm guessing you'd be the only one who could convincingly argue and offer incontrovertible evidence for both sides! Thanks Paul, I am now up to my knees in options and seriously considering the modelling equivalent of 'pin the tail on the donkey' as a method of making my choice ;-)

David

David

Thank you for the comments. If I was you I would go for the standard pre 1964 arrangements, but it is up to you.

What is important about your response is that it is fun. It is a hobby, I seek to guide, but OUR hobby can be enjoyed in many different ways.

It was pointless taking all of these photos if they were not to be used. Simples, I foresaw when printers would be able to print colour photos for the same cost as b/w see http://www.hmrs.org.uk/index.php (This has colour photos throughout - even today an innovatio which is to be expected from the HMRS and I foresae the internet would allow publishing thousands of photos :angel:

Paul Bartlett

David

Thank you for the comments. If I was you I would go for the standard pre 1964 arrangements, but it is up to you.

What is important about your response is that it is fun. It is a hobby, I seek to guide, but OUR hobby can be enjoyed in many different ways.

It was pointless taking all of these photos if they were not to be used. Simples, I foresaw when printers would be able to print colour photos for the same cost as b/w see http://www.hmrs.org.uk/index.php (This has colour photos throughout - even today an innovatio which is to be expected from the HMRS and I foresae the internet would allow publishing thousands of photos :angel:

Paul Bartlett

Paul

I have to endorse David's comments about your contribution to the hobby. Your photographs, particularly the colour images, are such an important aid to our modelling, especially in capturing unfitted and vacuum fitted stock of the 60s, 70s and 80s. I was devastated when the old site went down - so pleased the 'new' site is just as comprehensive (or seems so anyway!).

Stephen

Everything about the former Raglan station is ticking boxes right, left and centre as inspiration for my planned model Stephen. Amazingly, when the A40 between Raglan and Monmouth was built they followed the railway trackbed 'except' at the stations! Raglan survived untouched though immediately alongside the dual-carriageway (that sign is for the sliproad I take on my way home at least three times a week these days). I can see Dingestow's former station buildings (the station itself now offices) across the valley if I look out of the window to my left whilst typing this - again within feet of the road. Raglan and Dingestow are rural locations but even Monmouth Troy survived until it was transplanted to the Gloucestershire & Warickshire Railway at Winchcombe. Sadly Monmouth May Hill didn't make it but the A40 passes on the other side of the river and so didn't wave its magic wand there (although the remains of the platform are identifiable). Possibly rare examples of trackbed destruction by roadway which actually resulted in the survival of significant railway heritage? But I can also think of Panteg & Griffithstown (nr Pontypool), and Ashburton, and... (oh well ;-)

D

David

It must be great to have the opportunity to model a local prototype. It's not just the railway infrastructure that you can research but the whole 'feel' of a location - landscape, trees, even groundcover and simple things like, the colour of paths and tracks. All you need to do now is find a real location for that branch line terminus .......... :-)

S

• RMweb Gold

I feel I probably know your house when we were at Coalway we often drove up to the garden centre on the old road and also visited many open gardens in that area. Some interesting old lines in the area.

Don

It is indeed a great area in which to be both a railway enthusiast and modeller Don (...not too shabby to live in either :-)

Stephen, you asked whether I was any closer to pinning down a location for my 'might-have-been' branch ...well the answer is 'I think I might be'...

The strongest contender at the moment is the area between Hereford and Gloucester served by the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester Railway (link is to Wikipedia so usual disclaimer). This area was (and is) affluent and had an active rural economy which could have justified the promotion of a branch. Favouring the 'Hereford' end is the miltary's extensive historic presence in the area including the now derelict former munitions factory at Rotherwas. However the line south of Ross-on-Wye towards Gloucester appears to have survived into the 60's and traffic from the eastern edges of the Forest of Dean would add interest. There's a delighful website dedicted to Grange Court Junction where the HR&G line left the Gloucester to Cheptow main line which adds substance to my ponderings - especially if the timeline for the southern end were to be stretched a bit, 'Hemyock-style'. My initial enthusiasm for the North Somerset Levels has faded a bit as the area seems to have been pretty well rail-served and lacks (to my mind) justification for an additional route ...although I haven't ruled it out yet.

Decisions, decisions eh? No time for modelling this week (work comittments gone nuts again) but I have managed to do some on-line shopping:

post-2991-0-20346300-1333206752.jpg

Slaters BR 20-ton Brake Van kit, plus Hymek detailing stuff starting to come together: GWR/BR(W) route availability 'spots' from Fox Transfers (FRH7105), Northants Model Railway Supplies sprung oval diesel loco buffers from Invertrains and etched replacement cab steps from PH Designs.

TTFN... David

Having been woken at rediculous o'clock by the dogs this morning and inspired by the discovery that the GWR applied standardisation to all sorts of things - including architecture, I decided to start work on a station building plan. This red and blue brick rural whimsy uses the principal architectural elements of Somerford (courtesy of Chris Leigh's 'GWR Country Stations') re-drawn, juggled around and reduced to the proportions of Raglan.

post-2991-0-15928700-1333286966.jpg

All in all, quite a fun way to spend a Sunday morning. Next step convert it into a precisely scaled plan (...but not today, van weathering beckons if I can wriggle out of tasks of a domestic nature :-)

D

And then there were two... my Slaters BR Standard Van now with its first weathering coats applied accompanied by my first attempt at 7mm scale wagon construction, a Peco mineral...

post-2991-0-30349800-1333301060_thumb.jpg

David

Both the wagons look very good. The weathering is very nice, it is something that I am always very weary of.

The station building should look good when made.

And then there were two... my Slaters BR Standard Van now with its first weathering coats applied accompanied by my first attempt at 7mm scale wagon construction, a Peco mineral...

David

Oh, very nice, David. Some excellent weathering there.

Can't wait to see the BR brake van ............

S

Cheers Stephen...

...the last of my Hymek detailing parts have now arrived - Severn Mill Nameplates' etched numerals and worksplates for D7056, and very nice they look too. The 'to do' list now reads: Replace cab glazing, cab steps and buffers; renumber and attend to some minor detailing jobs such as doing something about the the very prominent but slender lamp irons (?) on the from buffer beam. Still unsure whether I'll be tackling a rework of the errant cab interior until I can find some photos to determine exactly what needs changing.

post-2991-0-89821500-1333609206.jpg

Severn Mill Nameplates' etched numerals and worksplates.

Amongst the many sounds you do not want to hear are those produced by your two precious kit-built wagons getting acquainted with gravity! The circumstances under which this occurred are best left unsaid but the repairs were almost more challenging than the initial construction :-(

Not a lot achieved apart from that, modelling-wise, this weekend mainly because we had an enjoyable but soggy couple of days on Exmoor in the rain and low cloud - so much more impressive and moody than in blazing sunshine.

D

Amongst the many sounds you do not want to hear are those produced by your two precious kit-built wagons getting acquainted with gravity! The circumstances under which this occurred are best left unsaid but the repairs were almost more challenging than the initial construction :-(

Not a lot achieved apart from that, modelling-wise, this weekend mainly because we had an enjoyable but soggy couple of days on Exmoor in the rain and low cloud - so much more impressive and moody than in blazing sunshine.

D

Ouch! What is with newly created models and the floor. I remember when I had just completed my Jinty I promptly managed to drop it. Fortunately it was inside a wooden box I had made for storage but still suffered damage to the front bufferbeam amongst other areas.

Alan.

Ouch! What is with newly created models and the floor. I remember when I had just completed my Jinty I promptly managed to drop it. Fortunately it was inside a wooden box I had made for storage but still suffered damage to the front bufferbeam amongst other areas.

Alan.

Sympathies Alan... I think I would have needed therapy if it had been a loco which had performed the death-drop! The van survived remarkably unscathed requiring no more than a few bits re-attaching and a slight paintwork re-touch. The mineral, on the other hand, required the fabrication of two replacement top-corner end caps, an end door rib and a major splice and re-fix job on one buffer beam. Took flippin' ages but I'm reasonably pleased that the repairs are nigh on invisible - one of the benfits of a weathered finish ;-)

D

Archived