Can you identify old controller

I remember in the 1970s I had and excellent controller for my then model railway and would love to find a similar type now. The fine control was really good due to it having a handle rather than a control knob and running was especially smooth. Can anyone suggest what type it may have been - the memory fades!

Codar ? - They did come nice units with simulation back them. I still have 2 working, just to dim the lighting & colour light signals to preserve their life. H&M (hammant & morgan), Marshall also come to mind. I think Hornby may have done one with a handle years ago.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

I doubt whether either the Tri-ang or Hornby (Dublo) controllers would have given good control as they are variable resistance. The Dublo one in particular being designed for the relatively high current of Dublo motors. The later variable transformer Hornby 'Marshall' controllers have a knob as do H & M' s products.

It would probably be one of the Electronic controllers Codar? or maybe the 'Rolacontroller' (or similar name?)

I had an absolute belter, it had a regulator and brake handles, and made "driving" very interesting.

It was made by a company called Digitol. I virtually gave it away when I went 7mm........ :unsure:

I had an absolute belter, it had a regulator and brake handles, and made "driving" very interesting.

It was made by a company called Digitol. I virtually gave it away when I went 7mm........ :unsure:

I threw 3 of these away the other week, as cases were broken, thus a hazard. They were called "Digital" Controllers by Southern Electronics and had inertia control. Like you say, good fun to drive.

• 10 months later...

Ahhh - the epitome of a DC controller !!

I have three, and wouldn't hesitate to buy more if I came across them.

Any offers, anyone?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi, just found your conversation via google, I own a SEC GEMINI Locomotive Controller that I never used. Are you still interested in?

Regards,

Matthias Koslik from Berlin

It wouldn't be one of these? A very old Mecanno A2 controller

HTH

Peter C

post-7759-0-61496500-1322040158_thumb.jpg

Ooh, that brings back a memory - got thrown across the room, many years ago, when one of those developed an internal fault, which meant the handle became live...

Mark

Hi, just found your conversation via google, I own a SEC GEMINI Locomotive Controller that I never used. Are you still interested in?

Regards,

Matthias Koslik from Berlin

Matthias,

I'm a little confused - my comment about wanting to buy controllers related to the Hammant & Morgan Walkabout controller - I'm not sure how this is related to the SEC GEMINI Locomotive Controller.

Could you perhaps expain?

Many thanks,

John Isherwood.

• 5 years later...

Hi;

Just found this thread, I have had a Digitol Gemini for about 35 years.

Paid a tenner for it and wouldn't sell it, used to run a H&M Walkabout from the 16v output.

Sadly, the Walkabout doesn't work properly anymore, it only works in one direction. I bought a replacement changeover rocker switch from Maplin but it might be easier to put a reversing switch inline on the track feed. Inertia still works though...

Steve

Archived