The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

BBC4 - tonight - 7.00 PM - Steam

pointstaken

• RMweb Premium

For anyone interested, the "Timeshift" programme at 7.00 PM is "The last days of steam" - why we invested in steam instead of oother means of traction after the war.

Dennis

The cynic in me hopes that they come up with the truth - what's the chance ??

It's been on on several times, the most recently on Yesterday about a week ago.

It was made in 2008 and features the completion of Tornado as well as lots of disconnected film/commentary.

Keith

I think a lot of the conclusions seemed to be drawn with the benefit of hindsight.

No one on the programme questioned the economics for building of hundreds of relatively low powered diesels which ended up pulling loose coupled goods trains at almost the same speeds that the steam locos they replaced had done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The cynic in me hopes that they come up with the truth - what's the chance ??

If - as seems likely from other posts - it's repeat of an old programme the answer to that question is 'not much'. In my view it never got round to tackling the nitty gritty of the industrial/manufacturing situation in Britain and its importance in the dieselisation programme or the various political imperatives (or negatives), let alone the labour market and its impact on decisions. Nice pictures (in places) shame about the script.

When I watched it I realized it was about 2 or 3 years old, and had probably been on before, but it was the first time I saw it, a few good old nostalgic shots ( but I didn't see myself at the platform ends ??), otherwise I wasn't impressed, yes I agree with you Mike.

• RMweb Premium

When I watched it I realized it was about 2 or 3 years old, and had probably been on before, but it was the first time I saw it, a few good old nostalgic shots ( but I didn't see myself at the platform ends ??), otherwise I wasn't impressed, yes I agree with you Mike.

There are some nice stock images including the double headed LMS train with a Claughton (5976?) as the train engine (although it's been in other programmes).

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Deb and I were somewhat shocked by the appearance of a former colleague as a talking head in this film. He and I met in April 1966 on a week's Careers Course run by Southern Region for Sixth Formers. During that week, we enjoyed a memorable moment on the harbour wall at Dover, when the Asst Harbour Master was explaining the various moves and routes, culminating in him pointing at two superannuated vessels in the corner of the harbour, with rather tall stacks."If all else fails" he said "We've always got the Twickenham and Hampton up our sleeve!" My teenage friend was impressed "The man's a contortionist - he can get his hampton up his sleeve!"

Archived