More from 'Galatia, KS'

warbonnetuk

Glad to hear exhibition managers are getting the message about quality US layouts. If you ever fancy a trip north of the border I'm sure we can find someone to invite you! And please don't take my hesitant criticisms as anything major, I loved the video and wish I could see the layout in person.

Jon

I'm always up so comments to improve the appearance of the layout. The tanker and most of the road vehicles still need some degree of weathering and that will be addressed before it's next trip out to Chatham show in June

As for a trip north of the border, I've been on the odd jaunt to Barrow helping our Roundhouse so we're not adverse to long trips should the opportunities present themselves.....

Cheers

Dan

I'm like this layout a lot...nicely done...has a very 'Great Plains' feel to it. And the shiny tanker - I'm guessing it's one in 'sanitary' (foodstuffs) service - those guys tend to keep their tanker's stainless tank spotless :)

Craig

No such get out clause I'm afraid - it's meant to be a diesel fuel tender for refueling the M&PE's motive power. While they prob wouldn't be too dirty it does need a little bit of grime to take to edge of the tank itself

At each of the layout's last two shows one of the show attendees that have stopped to chat about the layout have mentioned that they had lived in Kansas and that the layout did capture the look of the place so I guess I did get it pretty close. Have to say that the ScenicKing backscene really sets the rest of layout off

Cheers

Dan

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Bit of shameless self promotion ahead of the hubris of the Jubilee weekend but 'Galatia, KS' is back on the road and will be appearing at Chatham MRS's show at the Historic Dockyard on 9th/10th June

Any RMWebbers visting please say hello!

Dan

I'm like this layout a lot...nicely done...has a very 'Great Plains' feel to it. And the shiny tanker - I'm guessing it's one in 'sanitary' (foodstuffs) service - those guys tend to keep their tanker's stainless tank spotless :)

I think a lot of US companies and the military wont accept deliveries in dirty trucks .When I worked for Ross foods we supplied USAF bases and our trucks had to be spotless which was fun as one base had a huge muddy puddle just out side the tradesman entrance.We were inspected by a venitinary officer ,usually a humorless officius sod .

Hi and greetings from Wichita Kansas.

I am a modeler (50 years) and a railroader for the last 45 years on 15 different railroads in the midwest. I have either managed for run locomotives, switched cars for many shortlines such as Progressive Rail's Dan Patch line, the Minnesota Commercial, Wisconsin Central, Wisconsin Northern and the Kansas & Oklahoma. if you have questions regarding various operations, locomotives, car types, industries, or steam excursion trains please feel free to contact me and I'll try to answer them.

Nice job on the Galatia, KS module, very realistic. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of Dave's Dan patch line.

Thanks,

Barry

Hi Bok and welcome!

Dan Patch Line has a website. It can be found here

I guess you will be a very useful contact. I have studied the history of the DPL, and its formation by Marion Savage. It would be really useful to hear something of its present day workings from someone who's been there - done that!

Also, I have a great love of the Minnesota Commercial, so I may well

Hopefully there will be a few expert photographers at TVNAM who will provide some decent pictures of Dan Patch.

(Wish I had the chance to see Galatia again - I enjoyed meeting Dan and the team at Eurotrack Eastleigh earlier this year).

Best to all

Dave

Bok

Welcome to the group and thanks for the feedback on Galatia - if it floats the boat of a KS resident then I must be doing something right :-)

Since starting on the Galatia I've done a fair amount of research on the railroads around Wichita esp the various shortlines in the area. The K&O is interesting to me give some of esp rough looking motive power on the WAMX roster. Have gone the effort of getting a couple of sets of K&O decals for Oddball for future projects

Dave - won't make TVNAM this year due to proximity to 2nd child arrival but hopefully catch up soon

Dan

Hi all

Due to an upturn in business the Meridian, Pacific & Eastern has invested in some "new" motive power to suppliment the current roster of 70 tonners.

CF7 #253 is being pressed into service this coming weekend ahead of getting some TLC and a repaint after several years of neglect by her previous owner

post-9070-0-87402800-1339159532_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Like that. Is it masking ont he windows or is the cab out of use (i.e. remote control/B unit only)?

Masking tape - needs a blow-over with Dullcoat to seal weathering, some more weathering on the fuel tanks then couplers fitted :derisive:

Cheers

Dan

Had a v enjoyable weekend at Chatham show however the same can't be said for the management of the MP&E......

"New" loco #253 sits outside the company's servicing facility with a dead prime mover while the general manager makes some pointed phone calls to the loco dealer. Rest assured that our CF7 will be repaired in the near future.

post-9070-0-72178000-1339395304_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Nice pic, Dan

The loco looks good, as does the Tanker Truck. What make is the truck? I'm looking for Tank trailer/trucks to use on the transloading area on my new layout.

regards,

Mal

Dan, I meant to ask about your waybill cards. Was that some templating in MS Word or something more exotic? I feel some unabashed imitation on my part is going to happen.

Andrew

They are a shameless ripoff of the ones that Messers Arnold & Meadows are proposing for Thamesiders. I'll email you the Excel sheet I use to set them up

I print them off on the A4 kids craft card you can get in packs of 10 from Hobbycraft - goes through my printer ok

Cheers

Dan

Andrew

They are a shameless ripoff of the ones that Messers Arnold & Meadows are proposing for Thamesiders. I'll email you the Excel sheet I use to set them up

I print them off on the A4 kids craft card you can get in packs of 10 from Hobbycraft - goes through my printer ok

Cheers

Dan

Thanks. So they will become a shameless ripoff of a shameless ripoff. I'm not going to card everything for the layout as the majority of stock will run in fixed formation but there will be a couple of locals which will serve the yard with diesel, wheel parts, track panels, and other sundries. After playing with seriously operating Galatia I've had the temptation to put a fast switching plank together. I may just recycle the 2 scenic test boards I have and put them back into the office as a small shelf layout. (After getting Essex ready though)

Archived