Bass sound in DCC

oldknotty

For bit of DCC luddite like me , what is the difference between a bass reflex speaker and a bass enhanced speaker , I am looking to fit some in my DDC sound locos to improve the sound but I am getting more confused the deeper i dig :-)

Thanks martin

From my experience Martin, a good 'big un' is better than a good 'little un'! Or to put it another way, a speaker with the back box fitted is better than one without. A well-sealed back box is better than an unsealed one. A bass-enhanced is better than a 'std' speaker. A bass-reflex is better than a bass-enhanced, if, and it's a big 'if', you have the room to fit one in. And the bigger (deeper) the bass-reflex is, the better. Not all will agree with this of course, and a well-sealed 'std' speaker can often be louder in exhibition conditions, if not as 'bassy'.

HTH, kev.

Agree with KEv. The only proviso I would add is that some locos, that are naturally bassy, improve no end. Think class 60 class 37 etc. If the loco is naturally higher frequency sounds then experiment first. Things like class 58s 56s HSTs that have a high end scream etc etc may need care. The Bass Reflex speakers sometimes muffle the higher end too much. The large conventional speaker like this might be best compromise if you can fit it in?

http://www.abcomponents.co.uk/ABS-230-RC

Think this if Legomanbiffos favourite!!??

Si

For bit of DCC luddite like me , what is the difference between a bass reflex speaker and a bass enhanced speaker , I am looking to fit some in my DDC sound locos to improve the sound but I am getting more confused the deeper i dig :-)

Thanks martin

First off, bass enhanced is simply a marketing term. It's a speaker who's bass performance is better than the standard ESU speaker, hence the term 'enhanced'. Bass reflex on the other hand is a technical term for a design of loudspeaker enclosure which uses a tuned port to reinforce the sound at bass frequencies. It's bass performance is better again than the bass enhanced but it is physically bigger and won't fit in all locos. DCC Supplies and Digitrains both sell bass reflex speakers of slightly different sizes. I would say that the Digitrains one is slightly better but is physically bigger so this is to be expected (and again this will limit what you can fit it in). It's well worth buying a selection of speakers and trying them with your target loco to see which will fit and which sounds best. Blu-tac them to the side of the loco to have a quick listen before you commit yourself.

The speaker Simon has linked to above doesn't come with an enclosure, you have to build it yourself. If you're happy doing that, and if it will fit (it's 28x40mm), it sounds fantastic.

Hope this helps,

Bif

Also for best sound the enclosure needs to match the specs of the speaker. Enclosing a speaker will Improve things but for best sound quality then the enclosure needs to have the correct air volume for the speaker used. This is quite a complex subject in itself enclosures can be ported, sealed, bandpass or a multitude of others.

Here is a website with some of the basics

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

its aimed at car audio but the theory transfers readily to DCC sound

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

most pc laptop speakers are 8Ohms 2watt which give a rich bassy sound, 4ohm tend to sound tinny but a good enclosure should sort it, i only use 8ohm and 4 ohms in shunters

Can you find a few pics that show your installation process please ??

Thamks martin

Archived