Bachmann announce GWR 'City'

Andy Y

Amongst our collection of pics of trains on the S&DJR, in the immediate locality, there is one of 3433 'City Of Bath' on a down special just south of Stourpaine Halt. All that's needed is a rake of dilapidated clerestory coaches, and I will be able to pi* off some of the more extremist S&DJR fans when it runs on the layout :devil: .

When Truro was withdrawn it had no brass beading on the splashers I guess this was removed around 1914.

O S Nock in his book "Stars, Castles and Kings suggested that things continued as normal for the first couple of years of the war with austerity coming in at that point. My own guess is that the shell shortage of May 1915 was the facter that caused a brass shortage once shell production started to pick up so I would guess a little later than you - maybe 1915/6.

• 1 month later...

Deeper strengthened outside frames are needed (I suspect) for the post 1923 GWR era. Coaches? Anything that was around on the kind of trains these 4-4-0s hauled up until the engine's withdrawal, although lets be honest here....how many purchasers are seriously modelling the GWR before the 1930's and how many are impulse buyers of the engines? I fit the latter and would probably use the engine for society specials on the pretext that CoT had been renamed for the occasion...

Me. Even pre-1914 (1908) eras.

Me. Even pre-1914 (1908) eras.

Indeed, there are quite a few of us, though I think Larry's point was to suggest that the proportion of purchasers of this model who seriously model the pre-1930 GWR is rather small. I don't have one, nor do I need one as they weren't often seen on branchlines in the first decade of the 20th century.

Nick

ps. Though, noting Paul's comment at the top of the page, perhaps I should have one to run on the Somerset & Dorset...

• 1 month later...

Thread bump ahoy...!

Just come across this fine specimen of the breed on the (slightly distracting) Warwickshire Railways website...

http://www.warwicksh...r/gwrls1605.htm

Would I be right in thinking it's in plain green / black underframes livery...?

Cheers in advance ;)

That's not a "City". It's a "Bulldog" which had a smaller No2 boiler and 5'8" wheels.

Warwickshire Railways have got it wrong.

Ian

...Warwickshire Railways have got it wrong.

An easy mistake to make given the complexities of the 1912(?) renumbering! Though there never was a City with an early number higher than 3442, 3443 was carried by two Bulldogs: Birkenhead before renumbering and Chaffinch (strictly a Bird class, the final type of Bulldog) after the renumbering. Birkenhead, itself, lost its name in 1930, apparently because of fear that passengers might think it was a destination.

Nick

• 1 year later...

After the 1912 renumbering, were there many changes to the class? (I.E, something that would stop me from changing the plates and number)

The Bachmann 'City' is already post 1912 condition as it is modelled as preserved. It already has the main frame strengthening, (different on each side), extra platework to bogie and also topfeed pipework. Depending on your timescale, the tender supplied was replaced by larger 3,500 gallon types from the early 1920's onwards as below (Hornby County top using original Bachmann frames).

post-9992-0-69127900-1386950772_thumb.jpg

The challenge is to make the Bachmann model correct for pre 1912

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann 'City' is already post 1912 condition as it is modelled as preserved. It already has the main frame strengthening, (different on each side), extra platework to bogie and also topfeed pipework. Depending on your timescale, the tender supplied was replaced by larger 3,500 gallon types from the early 1920's onwards as below (Hornby County top using original Bachmann frames).

attachicon.gifcity.jpg

The challenge is to make the Bachmann model correct for pre 1912

Mike Wiltshire

Thank you, I meant between the engines themselves (For example, changing City of Bath to City of Bristol or City of Birmingham).

They were all different. The main challenge being the strenthening plates over the driving wheel axle boxes. As above Truro's are different on each side. To be absolutely accurate you will need views of both sides to sure. My City of Bristol is not right on one side  but who cares when it is travelling along at 60 mph on toplights?

Mike Wiltshire

• 3 weeks later...

Following an unexpected bonus at work I've finally taken the plunge and treated myself to City of London from Hattons. (After all it only costs £5 more than the Branchlines package deal - and you still have to build and paint that!).

All looks very nice but I do have one concern. Even after over an hour and a half's running in, she still seems to take off like a rocket on even the lowest controller setting and stop just as abruptly (I'll admit I'm using an H & M Clipper, but my other Bachmann powered locos seem to run nicely on that controller).

Have other owners found the same thing? This is not what I would expect from a Bachmann loco, especially one costing just over £100. 

All looks very nice but I do have one concern. Even after over an hour and a half's running in, she still seems to take off like a rocket on even the lowest controller setting and stop just as abruptly (I'll admit I'm using an H & M Clipper, but my other Bachmann powered locos seem to run nicely on that controller).

Have other owners found the same thing? This is not what I would expect from a Bachmann loco, especially one costing just over £100.

I think you've answered your own question- it's the controller. For £100 is expect something built to and compatable with modern standards, not a behemoth from the 1970's.

• RMweb Premium

For those of us who are modelling preserved lines without turntables....

But they could have supplied one bogie with coupling mount and one plain one!

(Extra cost but wouldn't it have been worthwhile?)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

They were all different. The main challenge being the strenthening plates over the driving wheel axle boxes. As above Truro's are different on each side. To be absolutely accurate you will need views of both sides to sure. My City of Bristol is not right on one side  but who cares when it is travelling along at 60 mph on toplights?

Mike Wiltshire

Well... Only show it from one side?

Archived