Bachmann announce GWR 'City'

Andy Y

If Bachmann release one in this livery I will pack up railway modelling and stand naked in Broadgate.Disgusting.

I'm surprised no-one has finished an Airfix kit in BR Black...? If one appears, will you still go through with your promise...?

I'm wondering if another rival manufacturer with a reputation for copying other manufacturers product lines is likely to come out with a more accurate model City of Bath with black frames and correct boiler bands & frame strengthening plates, or will my Investment be safe...?

Guest Gaz247

I have usually defended 247 in the past, but I, amongst other, are experiencing order issues with Gary. Recommend buying via a show (he is at York next week).

Mike Wiltshire

'

Day after service for stock items isn't good enough! Please include your Riemiann space co-ordinates and I will 'teleport' your order.

<rant> phuque it! </rant>

'

Day after service for stock items isn't good enough! Please include your Riemiann space co-ordinates and I will 'teleport' your order.

<rant> phuque it! </rant>

Post would be fine though I have been waiting since August 2011, reminders at Slaithewaite and Manchester with a copy of the original order have still produced no results. I have defended 247 to many who have commented on lengthy delivery times, but I have to concede they have a point.

Mike Wiltshire

.....I'm wondering if another rival manufacturer with a reputation for copying other manufacturers product lines is likely to come out with a more accurate model City of Bath with black frames and correct boiler bands & frame strengthening plates, or will my Investment be safe...?

You never really know.

Guest Belgian

So any model of a City done in a BR livery is pure fiction and nothing more. One wonders if there would be just as much jumping for joy if Bachmann put a face on the model and made it a Thomas loco - because it is just as accurate as a city in BR livery.

Craig W

Not strictly true: 'City of Truro' did wear that livery in real life and it's a legitimate livery to reproduce. It's up to the user as to whether to run it or not.

Not strictly true: 'City of Truro' did wear that livery in real life and it's a legitimate livery to reproduce. It's up to the user as to whether to run it or not.

Actually, it is strictly true. During Truros BR "service" days it wore a representation of the early 1900s GWR colour scheme. The BR mixed traffic livery was appied to it - on one side from accounts - on a preserved railway for a week in the 1980s. On that basis, if anything, the model should appear painted different colours each side.

I hardly consider that a legitimate colour scheme to use. In any case. I would consider it very unlikely that Bachmann would release it in such a scheme so the discussion is somewhat academic. Others are of course free to repaint if they so wish..

Craig W

Actually, it is strictly true. During Truros BR "service" days it wore a representation of the early 1900s GWR colour scheme. The BR mixed traffic livery was appied to it - on one side from accounts - on a preserved railway for a week in the 1980s. On that basis, if anything, the model should appear painted different colours each side.

I have to agree. It suited the 'Master shot' camera brigade who are always gagging for camera/video fodder. Why, folk'll be wanting locos that have been wallpapered with Solvite next.... :sarcastic:

• RMweb Premium

Got City of London in Ian Allan Birmingham yesterday.

£103 - cheaper than a certain Liverpool emporium!

Looks very nice even if not strictly accurate (top feed, frame patches etc.)

Anybody know what the second bogie frame is for - it looks the same as the one fitted to the model as received although it mentions use when no front coupling is fitted, but it still has a pocket.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Got City of London in Ian Allan Birmingham yesterday.

£103 - cheaper than a certain Liverpool emporium!

Looks very nice even if not strictly accurate (top feed, frame patches etc.)

Anybody know what the second bogie frame is for - it looks the same as the one fitted to the model as received although it mentions use when no front coupling is fitted, but it still has a pocket.

Keith

The extra bogie is in case you want to sell the loco on and have butchered the horrid front coupling off the other one.Why Bachmann put the coupling on the front amazes me.

Keith

I have the NRM Platinum version and it's the same situation re the second bogie.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Theres a nice photo of 3710 on ebay that might be of interest to someone modelling her as built .Photo taken in 1913.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337405cb1c

Not "As Built" but as running with later mods (long smokebox, topfeed, superheater. etc. (And later insignia & number)

Keith

EDIT: There is a good shot of London "As built" in RCTS part 7, complete with coal rail tender.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The extra bogie is in case you want to sell the loco on and have butchered the horrid front coupling off the other one.Why Bachmann put the coupling on the front amazes me.

I have the NRM Platinum version and it's the same situation re the second bogie.

Jeff

Why didn't they just supply a spare without a coupling pocket. I know it's extra cost, but so are the etched brass number and works plates and all those other bits!

Keith

I would suggest a case of trying to please all of the people all of the time.

I have seen several models purchased at York and Shildon by overseas visitors. The several Truros I have sent abroad all have been fitted with Kadees as that what my States side friends want and use.

Be fair on Bachmann. I think they are just trying to be helpful to several different target customers.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I'm confused... is this model exactly the same as the NRM CoT except for name and number? If the CoT livery represents an as preserved condition, then what does City of London in this livery represent?

Maximum exploitation of existing tooling and decoration etc; simples. They'll still sell (probably).

• RMweb Premium

I'm confused... is this model exactly the same as the NRM CoT except for name and number? If the CoT livery represents an as preserved condition, then what does City of London in this livery represent?

See post #46

Edit: add tender coal rails rather than side plates for "as built"

It seems to be just a renumbering/renaming to London presented in early livery but with all the later mods/fittings as per Truro.

But it still looks nice!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I suppose the inaccuracies are one of the problems when using a preserved loco as a template to produce a class of working machines.

CoT presumably is close to the condition it was withdrawn in, in 1931 (when it was number 3717!)

City of London is produced in the 'as built' livery, but with all the mods carried out on Truro and not necessary all applicable to London at any time in it's career!

Frame patching amongst the large wheel 4-4-0s was quite variable according to different sources and locos could be carrying different types as their classmates at the same time.

Top feed, superheaters, long smokeboxes, piston valves etc. appeared at varying times during the life of the class and many combinations could be seen together at any one time.

Keith

When Truro was withdrawn it had no brass beading on the splashers I guess this was removed around 1914 also she was coupled to a 3500 tender, as preserved currently lined out with Great garter Western on the tender is about the best livery she could carry in her current condition, although I am sure there are a few details that would not be correct, but I can live with that. As for City of London with red frames this is a work of fiction.

Archived