BR Hunslet Class 05 at Newport Pill -why?

Rail-Online

• RMweb Gold

It isn't at Pill - it's at Godfrey Road by High St station. Not that that gets us any further forward in explaining its presence at Newport of course! I'm guessing that it was enroute to 'somewhere' and suffered a hot box which might explain why it is partly lifted. My only guess is was it sold to the NCB? (and is teh date on the pic correct?)

It isn't at Pill - it's at Godfrey Road by High St station. Not that that gets us any further forward in explaining its presence at Newport of course! I'm guessing that it was enroute to 'somewhere' and suffered a hot box which might explain why it is partly lifted. My only guess is was it sold to the NCB? (and is teh date on the pic correct?)

A pair of these went to Duport (then Llanelly Steel) in the late 1960s. I wonder if this was one of them?

A pair of these went to Duport (then Llanelly Steel) in the late 1960s. I wonder if this was one of them?

I think this shot pre-dates "the great shunter cull" of 1967 onwards, so may rule out one of the two that went to Duport.

I saw the four coupled Hunslet en-route there, at Stoke Gifford circa May 1968.

I have never seen, or heard of a Hunslet Cl.05 in South Wales in BR service; this is a new one on me.

Anyone with access to a set of RO's for 1963 ?

Brian r

• RMweb Gold

I like the coach behind it. It appears to be an ex Collett brake thrid in departmental service

It looks as if it might be a breakdown van - possibly associated with the big stack of packing under the Hunslet? Does anyone know offhand when Godfrey Rad servicing point was closed - presumably at the end of the Eastern & Western Valleys dmu serices?

There was a Collett vehicle there in the early '70s but I don't think it was this one and was in any case probably one of the umpteen vehicles dumped around the Region for use by the Work Study teams?

I'd lay a sportsmans bet that the coach is DW150070.

Had a bit of a rummage - I'll happily put money on this one now!

Originally Collet BC 7988 (Diag. E144, cira 1928). Converted BTU Staff and Tool Coach 9/59. Initially at Westbury, but later Worcester where it was probably based when the photo was taken. Then onto Gloucester in the early 70's before being withdrawn from Bristol 5/82 and scrapped 11/82.

Pix

The DMU services out of Newport ceased in 1964 and the lack of activity other than the 05 and the breakdown coach I guess suggests after that date. First thoughts were the various Duport machines but as Brian says it looks a bit early for the late 1960s. How about this idea for the mix - D2569 and D2570 were both for some reason put on loan 9/65 to Swindon 82C and then during 5/66 both went to Speke Junction 8C on loan again, then permanent.....could that be D2569 suffering a hot box on route from Swindon to the north via Hereford? Just a thought folks.....

Hywel

Hi,

Some interesting comments there -thanks. What makes people think it is not the late 60's? The loco appears to have peeling paintwork on the bonnet top - perhaps the result of a fire? Ok the re-fuelling bays are unused but BR would not be over eager to remove these (anyone know when?)

According to Harris:

D2561 went to Duport "about 3/68"

D2568 went to Duport on 5/68 "for scrap"

D2569 went to Duport on 5/68

D2570 went to Duport "about 3/68"

D2600 went to Duport 4/68

D2601 went to Duport 4/68

And two interesting ones:

D2604 went to G Cohen Morriston Swansea 6/68 for scrap

D2605 went to G Cohen Morriston Swansea 6/68 for scrap

The photo shows one without the 'greenhouse' top windows - from which loco was this fitted?

I tend to think it is one of the Duport ones.

Cheers Tony

Part of the framework for the refuelling area 'roof' was there into the mid-1970s, at least, even if the pipework had been recovered. There was also a black-painted ex-GWR coach there, until replaced by a BR coach (which I think was a Mk2, which would date it surviving into the 1990s). I hadn't realised that Duport had so many Hunslets- perhaps some went to their Briton Ferry plant?

I cannot see how the loco at Newport could be D2554, which according to my notes went from Harwich, Parkeston Quay to Ryde I.O.W. circa 1966 and was apparently used on the electrification of the Ryde - Shanklin line.

If so, why would it have turned up at Newport ?

The sale of the Hunslet Cl.05 locos to the Duport Group was handled by the dealer R.E.Trem of Finningley Yorks. and their post BR lives were as follows:-

D2561 from Springs Branch to Duport, Llanelly by 3/68 renumbered 'D3' scrapped 10/72

D2568 to Duport, Briton Ferry 3/68 scrapped circa 5/69

D2569 to Duport, Briton Ferry 3/68 renumbered 'D5' scrapped circa 5/69

D2570 to Duport, Briton Ferry 3/68 renumbered 'D7' transferred to Llanelli Works 1/71?

D2600 to Duport, Briton Ferry by 7/69 transferred to Llanelli Works 1/71?

D2601 from Goole to Duport, Llanelly by 3/5/68 renumbered 'D5' scrapped 1979

Compared to the ex-BR Cl.04 shunters bought around the same time, the Hunslet locos didn't seem to have 'stayed the course'.

I was unaware that Cohen's at Morriston saw off two of the class.

Surely someone has the answer ?

Brian R

Brian R

Has anyone tried asking the original owners of the site to look more closely at the photo - or provide a high quality scan as the number is possibly legible.

Having [tried] to use the site I do realise that doing this may not be easy - how someone found Severn Tunnel photos escapes me!

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone tried asking the original owners of the site to look more closely at the photo - or provide a high quality scan as the number is possibly legible.

Having [tried] to use the site I do realise that doing this may not be easy - how someone found Severn Tunnel photos escapes me!

Paul Bartlett

You are quite right Paul- I can't find them now, and can't see the 05 pic either for that case.

Neil

- how someone found Severn Tunnel photos escapes me!

Paul Bartlett

Took some finding, but go to home page and there is a link to transport photo's in the top right.

I cannot see how the loco at Newport could be D2554, which according to my notes went from Harwich, Parkeston Quay to Ryde I.O.W. circa 1966 and was apparently used on the electrification of the Ryde - Shanklin line.

If so, why would it have turned up at Newport ?

I'd have thought she'd have been a regular there. Newport, I.o.W, that is!

Passing an 0-4-4 on the pier in November '66 according to this caption:

http://classictractionimages.weebly.com/isle-of-wight.html

I must confess when I used the zoom feature on the photo in the OP, the number did resemble D2554.

I'd have thought she'd have been a regular there. Newport, I.o.W, that is!

Passing an 0-4-4 on the pier in November '66 according to this caption:

http://classictracti...e-of-wight.html

That is clearly Ryde Pier so the date must be about right. Not seen a shot of that before. The Isle of Wight Steam Railway site has the same gen as Brian so that doesn't help. I'd be amazed had it gone anywhere other than Eastleigh to be shipped via Southampton, probably via Cowes, just like all the tube stock (stored at Micheldever prior to heading to Wight). It isn't as if BR(S) and the SR before it lacked experience in doing this. Dragging the thing all the way to Newport, South Wales, past three main works (Stratford, Eastleigh, Swindon) sounds pretty ridiculous, not that it couldn't have happened.

Adam

PS - the large window versions were D2574-2618

Having zoomed to the point of extreme pixellation, I'm no nearer i.d-ing the machine by painted number, however, what does seem fairly evident is that the patch surrounding the number is darker, possibly cleaner or having been recently repainted to take a renumber from 11xxx to D2xxx. If that's the case, we may be nearer a date for the picture at least.

• RMweb Gold

The photo shows one without the 'greenhouse' top windows - from which loco was this fitted?

D2574 was the first of the 'greenhouse' top window locos, so we know it's from the range D2550 - D2573

Having zoomed to the point of extreme pixellation, I'm no nearer i.d-ing the machine by painted number, however, what does seem fairly evident is that the patch surrounding the number is darker, possibly cleaner or having been recently repainted to take a renumber from 11xxx to D2xxx. If that's the case, we may be nearer a date for the picture at least.

At the level of zoom needed to try and read the number I think that the surrounding area is appearing darker because of the sharpening of the digital image. Sharpening works by increasing the contrast between adjacent pixels, as well as brightening the number it may also lead to a darkening of the immediate surrounding area, not something you would normally notice unless you zoom in to a ridiculous level like we are trying. I wouldn't read too much into the possible 'patch'.

Martin

Archived