Claud Hamilton from Golden Arrow

Bruciethefish

No photos yet, as I'm still building the sample, but the D16/3 kit is now in production;- It's designed to fit on the Hornby / Dapol / Mainline 2P chassis. If using the new motorised version, you'll just need a 'B12' tender, or if using the tender-driven chassis, you'll also need a short-wheelbase tender-drive unit from a 'Compound' or 'Patriot'. The instructions are up on the website now, should you wish to see what's involved in the conversion. I'll have some available at Melksham next weekend, along with the (hopefully) finished sample...

Chris

Guest Max Stafford

This one's come out of the blue! I think I'll be tempted by this graceful 4-4-0. One of my favourites too, despite being nowhere near Scotland! Not that this stopped my with the L1 & Railbus!

Dave.

The 2P is 9ft 6 ins wheelbase. The D16 is 9ft w.b. if I'm not mistaken.

6 inch difference - is it much of a muchness? Half a foot overall.

Having built Chris' Clan kit a few years back, I'm sure it'll be a good kit for that intended - an affordable Claud on a ready to run chassis.

6 inch difference - is it much of a muchness? Half a foot overall.

If it was the other way round, it'd possibly be workable with to a degree, though as the wheels would now be closer to the splasher edges either end, it's much more noticeable.

There must be other 4-coupled chassis available surely?

If it was the other way round, it'd possibly be workable with to a degree, though as the wheels would now be closer to the splasher edges either end, it's much more noticeable.

Unless of course some slight stretching in the proportions of the splashers was made. I can't comment for Chris, but I would suspect that certain compromises have to be made to get a model which uses an RTR chassis.

There must be other 4-coupled chassis available surely?

Other than the D49/Compound (is this chassis closer to the correct wheelbase? Not 100% sure on that), I can't think of another 4-4-0 chassis on the market available RTR (bar the Hornby T9, Schools, Bachmann City, Compound and Dukedog which are all incorrect for this anyway).

Does beg the question - are we starved of pre-grouping and grouping 4-4-0s in RTR?

Where would one get a B12 tender or alternatively does anyone make a kit? I live in the GWN (Canada) so swap meets are not an option and e-bay is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with if you live outside the UK.

I believe Dave Alexander has a whitemetal kit for the GER tender, very nice too!

cheers, Peter C.

Thanks chaps,

Looking at the Crownline one pictured, I don't think the finished result will look much different, though it will be a lot easier to build...

I will, however hold my hands up to stretching the front splasher forwards by the requisite 2mm, in order to accommodate the chassis;- I looked long & hard at what was available, & the '2P' at 9'6" was absolutely the closest by far, - beggars can't be choosers in this bodyline kit lark, I'm afraid, I do try to make things look right, even though some inaccuracies are forced upon me..

I do understand the desire for the ornate splasher version, but it's not as simple as you might at first think;- there are numerous differences to be taken into account.. Having said that, if this one proves popular, I might turn the clock back & do a belpaire one that can also qualify for being painted in GER blue;- Don't hold your breath, though, as I've got a lot of other half-completed patterns to work through first..

While I got my 'B12' tender off Ebay, I'd suspect that the likes of East Kent models, Peter's Spares, Richard Panes or others of that ilk would prove fruitful sources..

I look forward to some feedback once they start hitting people's workbenches!

Chris

The last B12 GER tender I saw was stretched vertically in the area of the frames, although the Tender body might be correct. This was because Triang models used to stands much higher at the buffers than scale models. A new etched set of frames would overcome that then.

...I will, however hold my hands up to stretching the front splasher forwards by the requisite 2mm, in order to accommodate the chassis;- I looked long & hard at what was available, & the '2P' at 9'6" was absolutely the closest by far....

But it is then possible to move the splasher back if you want to build your own scale chassis?

...and the good news is (10:33 0n 11/4/2012).... the postie has just delivered mine!

Fantastic service fromGolden Arrow, many thanks.

I've literally just opened the box and only given it a cursory glance over yet, but I HAVE A D16/3 AT LAST! It looks the part though, must find time to construct it now.

Stewart

Tell you what, the forward movement of the front splasher isn't that bad. Rather more subtle to spot (of course, it is wrong - but it doesn't look out of place).

If you know the prototype well, you'll know the front splasher doesn't stretch out in front of the dome, but here it does and it doesn't look "wrong" per say.

Let us know how you get on Neil :)

Archived