N Gauge Society kit 54: Cubes and Timber!

Andy Y

N Gauge Society kit 54: Cubes and Timber!

The N Gauge Society is to produce a kit of the distinctive and imposing ex-Rover KSA-A "cube" wagons, now converted to timber carriers.

The model will be the 54th in the NGS’s ever expanding range, and as ever will be available to members only. It’s expected to be available by Summer 2013.

The prototype wagons were manufactured by Rautaruukki of Finland in 1995 for the Rover car company for the secure transportation of car components between plants.

In more recent years, they’ve been used in partnership by DRS and logistics firm W H Malcolm on Anglo-Scottish freight services and two were repainted to reflect this.

The wagons have also seen service in South Wales and South West England and some are now in use on the Continent, in France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany for commodities such as bottled water.

In 2011 a batch of KSAs were acquired by wagon leasing firm Nacco and converted for use as timber carriers; this involved the removal of the sliding hoods and the fitting of heavy stanchions and tensioning rachets. The wagons have been repainted and are now in service with Colas on timber originating from Chirk.

The model is being tooled by Parkside Dundas and will feature injection moulded chassis and ends.

Two versions will be available: Kit 54a depicts the original Rover cube wagons and will include a cast resin hood mastered for the NGS by respected N Gauge designer Bernard Taylor of TPM. Kit 54b represents the timber carrier, and includes a set of injection moulded stanchions. Both kits will be supplied with one-piece injection moulded bogies, etched detail parts and decals.

msg-420-0-98356400-1350464850_thumb.jpg

msg-420-0-31878000-1350464858_thumb.jpg

msg-420-0-80580400-1350464869_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just got back from the Peterborough show. A big thank-you to Andy Y for ensuring this announcement went live when it should!

The researchb package for these kits is pretty much assembled now and drawings have been sent to Parkside Dundas and TPM to enable them to start work. Some of the drawings can be seen below - the largest is A0 size:

post-420-0-53851100-1350750550_thumb.jpg

N Gauge is a little lacking in timber wagons - excepting the redoubtable Chivers OTA - so in its later variant I am hoping this will be a useful model. And in original form, offers a distinctive and stylish train!

Any other questions please ask!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

An interesting choice, and a good one too! The timber carriers really have given the real thing a new lease of life, and these are exactly the kind of interesting subject that makes a fantastic kit. I'm sure I'll get a few just because they look interesting, despite having no need for either the cubes or a timber train!

Now what did I do with my RfD European paints and that 47...heehee

Nice one!

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Arran,

What would be a typical consist for the Malcolm train? From what I have been told it seems that two of the KSAs got the Malcolm's livery, the remainder stayed in the original maroon/grey colours...

Is that correct?

cheers

Ben A.

Archived