Modern Locomotives Illustrated

Peter Kazmierczak

Latest edition hit my doormat this morning.

Electro-diesels might not be to everyone's taste, but they are Really Useful Engines.

Not too much preserved stuff, which is an advantage. Some very interesting SR design sketches that I'd not seen before.

Not a bad edition, but some of the liveries applied to the Cl.73s in their later days are quite stomach-churning.

Cl.87s in the January edition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just picked up a copy in my local Easons.

Image quality is excellent in MLI and some nice shots of 74s included in this issue. Shame none of these lovely-looking locos were preserved.

I liked the look of the Diesel Morning book featured in the reviews section (page 96) and wanted to buy a copy, but a search around on the net reveals there are no copies to be had of it - sold out so it seems, unless someone can correct me (please!)?

I'll look forward to the issue on the 87s.

cheers,

Keith

I liked the look of the Diesel Morning book featured in the reviews section (page 96) and wanted to buy a copy, but a search around on the net reveals there are no copies to be had of it - sold out so it seems, unless someone can correct me (please!)?

Nothing I can find - there's a review in the November Railway Magazine (found from Google) but if you plug the ISBN into Amazon you get a different book by the same author. Maybe it's just not out yet.

Diesel Morning

By David Percival

Published by Lineside Twentyfive

7 New Close, Knebworth SG3 6NU

Softback; 112pp; 295 x 209mm

ISBN 978-0-9566762-1-4

£18.95.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks there Rod.

I've had another Google just now and see the book is listed on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Morning-by-David-Percival-/261136287685?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item3cccef87c5

Last time I checked on Ebay none were available, so no messing around this time, I've just ordered a copy!

all the best,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just picked up a back copy of the October -November 2012 edition on the NBL type 2s classes 21,22 and 29.

Very simple on line ordering, placed on Sunday evening arrived Tuesday.

An excellent purchase, packed full of information for the modeller. I'll certainly be buying a few more over the coming months.

http://www.mli-magazine.com/

One satisfied customer

Neil

An interesting issue of these fine locos although it is a shame (though perhaps inevitable) that Marsden repeats his usual myth that the earliest JBs were outshopped in electric blue instead of rail blue with small yellow ends and a grey band. Not sure why he thinks this as he didn't seem to when he compiled Power of the Electro Diesels for OPC in the 1980s... For the life of me I cannot think why BR would apply a 6+year old livery to a fleet of new locos in connection for what at the time was a flagship electrification scheme- particularly as the new corporate image had already been unveiled and approved by then....

An interesting issue of these fine locos although it is a shame (though perhaps inevitable) that Marsden repeats his usual myth that the earliest JBs were outshopped in electric blue instead of rail blue with small yellow ends and a grey band. Not sure why he thinks this

Only just started reading my copy but what about the photo on page 12 and the top one on page 25?

Only just started reading my copy but what about the photo on page 12 and the top one on page 25?

Rail Blue SYP with (Rail ?) Grey stripe.

Electric Blue is very different to this. I wish I could find a link to an EE publicity lineup photo taken at Vulcan Foundry with a new JB next to an Electric Blue AL3, the considerable difference is clear to see.

(Edited to correct a mistyped draft edit - doh!)

• RMweb Premium

Smith's in Chlemsford have not had it in yet. :dontknow:

As for the question of rail blue and electric blue, I can recall me and Nat spending hours discussing this way back, No the JBs were not in electric blue they were in rail blue from new was our conclusion. As were the AL6's that were produced at the same time from the Vulcan Foundary.

50A55B, are you talking about the well known photo of a AL6, a JB, a Type1 and a Type 3. If so everyone comments about the blues in the photo. The grey line does have a slight effect on the smaller electric in making the colour appear slightly different. Nobody mentions that the Class 20 and 37 are in different shades of BR locomotive green :prankster:

50A55B, are you talking about the well known photo of a AL6, a JB, a Type1 and a Type 3. If so everyone comments about the blues in the photo. The grey line does have a slight effect on the smaller electric in making the colour appear slightly different. Nobody mentions that the Class 20 and 37 are in different shades of BR locomotive green :prankster:

I know the one you mean Clive, a good one to demonstrate that AL6s were Rail Blue, but I seem to recall one with an AL3 as well.

Going back to the photos mentioned in post 9, the one on p12 in particular is washed out and a poor indicator of colour, look how peculiar the bogies and background scenery appear.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest edition arrived today - The Class 87s. Not a bad issue, though a few more pictures of them in their early days would've been apreciated. Some poorly phrased captions again though, eg ".....the London Euston to Carlisle and Glasgow corridor was the main route for the Class 87s ...."

The next edition out at the end of March might interest some "regulars" here, as it's on a certain class of diesel-hydraulic.....

Personally I'd rather have a couple of extra pages of Bulgaria than a modelling section!  I would have liked to have seen some more pictures of 87101 during its extended blue period, but then you can't please all the people all the time and I still think MLI is an excellent series and tremendous value when compared to the similar publications in France and Germany.

• 4 months later...

There's another thread on issue 201 here ;http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72157-locomotives-illustrated-classes-26-27/  perhaps this should be combined into the main MLI  thread ?

This particular thread started off  about the issue on Cl 73's. Each issue usually has it own thread,but this one morphed into the subsequent issue.Tthere is no main MLI thread !!

Archived