Banners Squeezing out new post markers

This has only just started in the past few days for me and only affects those parts of the forum with advertising banners.  The latest post stuff, and occasionally the entire forum subheadings list is being squeezed off under the right hand column.  I've turned my screen resolution up until it bends my head and it is still an issue.  I'm hoping its something that can easily be fixed as occasionally it does make the forum hard to access (although perhaps some members don't have a problem with this.

post-4569-0-59845100-1359556802_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Me too, on IE (no I can't choose).

It's also like this with the mobile version on my iPhone and has been for some time, but maybe that's a separate problem and I think also covered by another thread as well.

Edit: Boris, careful of your screen shots or we'll all be asking why you're searching how to send Mod4 a Valentine... (see other open Tab on first screenshot) :angel:

To add some meat to the bones, my screen was 1280 width when I added the problem screenshot. The narrower banners under News and Warners Group don't cause a problem, but those under Skills & Knowledge and DCC do.

If I take those banners to the desktop, they are 728 wide (both the problem and the non-problem ones), so it looks like the non-problem ones are being automatically resized (to about 470 wide) and the problem ones not resized. Well that's what it looks like to me.

If I make the whole window wider than my screen, the "squashed/partially hidden" columns gradually reappear to a legible and normal size

Me too, on IE (no I can't choose).

It's also like this with the mobile version on my iPhone and has been for some time, but maybe that's a separate problem and I think also covered by another thread as well.

Edit: Boris, careful of your screen shots or we'll all be asking why you're searching how to send Mod4 a Valentine... (see other open Tab on first screenshot) :angel:

Rats, I've been rumbled...

Cheers Andy

It did affect the RMweb experience when the banners had expanded to hide the sub forum headers as I had at one point last night, its made a good portion of the forum inaccessible!

Still happening on my iPad I'm afraid, using the normal, not mobile, version. But this may be due to something else and it really doesn't spoil the RWWeb experience.

Smaller screen resolution maybe? If I shrink my window from 1280, the right-hand-side (recent status updates etc) stays the same absolute width, and the banners keep that column from shrinking, thus "crushing" the xx topics, yy replies column and the last post/by/date columns, and also then slightly obscuring the crushed last post column.

Minimum usable window width seems to be about 1048, of which the right-hand-side takes up a fixed 275 (approx). Below 1048, the RHS starts overlying the other columns, and below about 980, I start getting a horizontal scroll bar.

It's good to see you help contribute to the RMWeb running costs...

I have had to turn images of today as the the number of adverts in bright colours that flash gives me headaches, but this then makes it difficlt to mark which forums I have read.

edited to say

Which now makes it pointless to visit the parts of the RMWeb that are photo heavy

I have had to turn images of today as the the number of adverts in bright colours that flash gives me headaches, but this then makes it difficlt to mark which forums I have read.

Another thumbs down for brightly-coloured flashing adverts (and moving/animated avatar images too) - not just headache-inducing in those who are susceptible, but highly distracting, especially after you've read them and decided it's nothing you're interested in. The visual equivalent of repeated PPI telemarketing calls.

</high horse>

At least you can turn signatures (like mine) off, which is a start.  I'm not a big fan of the banners either, but I suppose it is a minor inconvenience when compared with the quality of what else is on here.  As long we we don't start getting pop-ups, if we do, I'm out of here.  Personally (and this is just an opinion) I would be happy to pay a few quid a year to do away with the adverts.

Archived