Lincoln Holmes Yard

lincoln40a

The GNR warehouse was a landmark-I remember seeing goods vans being manhandled onto the turntables and into the building.  The office block that replaced it lasted approximately two decades.

Now if l extended the layout to be 5 ft deep l could include that arched road entrance and barge lucam ? Over the roadway!

Good afternoon everyone,

Well the sun is out and getting higher in the sky each week, so the gardening season will soon be apon us but I'm still in modeling mode.

Three more buildings from Lincoln's past have taken shape over the past week.

Graham

've just discovered this - and I'm loving it..... I used to work in Lincoln in the early '80s, and indeed I used to work in one on these buildings - the one with the 'shop front'. That used to be my office when I worked for Great Eastern Stage in 1981, and we were based in Brayford Wharf.

Brilliant!

've just discovered this - and I'm loving it..... I used to work in Lincoln in the early '80s, and indeed I used to work in one on these buildings - the one with the 'shop front'. That used to be my office when I worked for Great Eastern Stage in 1981, and we were based in Brayford Wharf.

Brilliant!

Hello Giles

Really pleased you recognise the building , that would account for the diagonal stripes !.due to space limitation l had to miss out the building between it and the bus garage .l'm unsure of its usage in the 50s &60s thou' or wether the shop frontage was a later alteration.

Graham

I've got it into my head that before we had it, it might have been a butchers, of all things......

The diagonal stripes were most certainly Great Eastern Stage - even our Ford D series lorry was distinctively painted all over with those.... The passage to the north (between the buildings running back to the High Street) was only JUST wide enough to take our lorry with a large furniture type box on the back - with about four inches to spare. I regularly used to take it down there as it saved a bit of time late at night....

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of whether the shop front was original (which is not absolutely impossible) or an alteration. At that time, we thought these things would last forevever.

I was one of the few people who didn't mind being held up at the many and various level crossings (of course we were trapped between Central and St Marks..)

Today ,

The GNR commenced the last of its 4 level crossings within the city boundary !

Local busines's welcomed the coming of the railway but say all these level crossings will bring the city to a standstill whenever one of the many trains per day enter the station,

The eclesiastics on the hill are so incenced by the coming of this fire devil they hired a huge sail cloth to blank off the photographer 's view of their precious pile on the hill.

post-18643-0-69681800-1424113729_thumb.jpg

post-18643-0-43289600-1424113795_thumb.jpg

Not much to report today except this photo appeared on facebook (Lincolnshire railways) posted by Peter Blunn (Photo:Atlantic)

J 11/3 on shed at Lincoln April 1960

Plus a model view of a classic 'East Holmes' scene, (must do somthing about that box !

Graham

post-18643-0-49374100-1424294601.jpeg

post-18643-0-18412000-1424295391_thumb.jpg

I was there-a great day out.  The last C12 was on display, before moving to Doncaster for scrapping, and Mallard had a footplate crew explaining how it all worked, plus we were able to walk through the corridor tender.  Terrifically good PR, and huge crowds.  Can anyone confirm the exhibit lists? 

Cracked on with the BR goods shed today , as with all the buildings i've made over the last 3 months it is 1mm mounting board but this time it is double skin walls with the glazing between. The roof glazing will go on the top and followed by a corugated covering.

One off topic photo for the Lincoln ex'pats on here, The Upper Witham showing the back of the Plough public house and brewery and an former Lincoln horse tram in the garden.

Graham

post-18643-0-19332500-1424802151_thumb.jpg

post-18643-0-87032300-1424802226_thumb.jpg

post-18643-0-74594300-1424802312_thumb.jpg

post-18643-0-05511500-1424803066_thumb.jpeg

Very prolific , or 'quick and rough' lol

story is l have done little else this winter apart from walk the dog twice a day and again at bedtime due to a trapped nerve in my right shoulder , starting physio next week . And making up time for doing very little last winter due to renovating the house centralheating system good job we have a woodburner !

As l said all buildings are made from 1mm mounting board and glued with strong pva ,then covered with brick paper, l still need to add window frames.

Next job is the 1950's offices/mess rooms can't find any photos that show a full elevation ,the west end was unusual as it had bay / panoramic windows

Graham

Hello Graham,as a fellow Lincolnite I am following your build and pictures with interest.

With reference to the last photograph of the building  situated by the roadside on the Ropewalk in post 189,I wondered if anyone knows of the history of this and has any other photos they could share when it was in railway use.

David  

Hello Graham,as a fellow Lincolnite I am following your build and pictures with interest.

With reference to the last photograph of the building  situated by the roadside on the Ropewalk in post 189,I wondered if anyone knows of the history of this and has any other photos they could share when it was in railway use.

David

Hi David

All l know is that the building housed the warehouse offices, like everything else a lack of info prevails.

Graham

I have more partial views of the offices, if you are interested[/quote

anything you have John,

thankyou.

no modeling carried out wednesday, it was MoT time for the landrover. And then down to our youngest daughters to look after the bairns till she came home from work.as for the car , 2 antiroll joints, a new brake pipe and free off the rear hand brakes . £200 ouch!

Thanks for the information about the Ropewalk building.

If my memory serves me correctly,I seem to recall the yard next to this building having the yellow BR track maintenance personnel carriers parked in it in the 1980's.I wondered whether at this time it was used by them as an office/crew building.

Would anyone be able to shed any light please as to its use in this time period?

David

Thanks for the information about the Ropewalk building.

If my memory serves me correctly,I seem to recall the yard next to this building having the yellow BR track maintenance personnel carriers parked in it in the 1980's.I wondered whether at this time it was used by them as an office/crew building.

Would anyone be able to shed any light please as to its use in this time period?

David

I applied for a job on Central Station around 1975, sadly they had no positions for a school leaver, any way they sent me to the brick building at the entrance to the yard as pictured.

It was occupied by the Permanent Way Department, hence another poster saying he saw Yellow Vans there.

Sadly i was too young to be employed as the job entailed late nights, however i did pass all the tests they gave me.

Hope that helps

Thanks very much Steve.

That was the confirmation I was hoping to hear.I am thinking of having a model of this building on my layout with a Permanent Way yard but just  needed to be sure in my mind that that was indeed what it was used for in its later railway years.

If anyone has any other pictures at that time I would of course interested to see those.

Sorry for the slight divergence Graham

David 

Thanks very much Steve.

That was the confirmation I was hoping to hear.I am thinking of having a model of this building on my layout with a Permanent Way yard but just  needed to be sure in my mind that that was indeed what it was used for in its later railway years.

If anyone has any other pictures at that time I would of course interested to see those.

Sorry for the slight divergence Graham

David

No problem David, l haven't room for it on my layout.

Archived