Life's little ironies with railways in the media.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure we can all think of times when we've seen locos used in various film or TV productions, but the loco is out of place for what its role generally was.

An example for me is the Queen music video Breakthru:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjU-XVcbX_A

This is ironic/funny because it's a 2884 Heavy Freight Class (GWR) being used as a pseudo 'speeding bullet'.

Cassandra Crossing and Mission Impossible both used electric traction in key scenes, but without the overhead wires....

Yes. The mission impossible sequence was actually a class 33 and 8 TC in Scotland of all places. The driver and secondman were from my depot of the time on th Southern.

Nothing compared by the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce film "Terror By Night" (1946) where the intrepid Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson catch a night train (LMS - when were the Sherlock Holmes stories set?) from Euston to Scotland in pursuit of a thief.  Along the way their train switches haulage to a German Pacific and ends up shrunk to a model speeding around tight curves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6IoqyemmI

What was that James Bond film with the supposedly Russian loco?

And wasn't it a tricked out class 20?

Mind, I've got to the state where, when watching TV or a film and a loco/train appears, my wife always asks me, "Was that right?"

(LMS - when were the Sherlock Holmes stories set?) ]

They were published between 1887 and 1927 and are set in the period 1880 to about 1914, so pre LMS. That said, the Basil Rathbone versions are only loosely based on the original stories and are set in the late 30's early 40's.

What was that James Bond film with the supposedly Russian loco?

And wasn't it a tricked out class 20?

A recent Poirot (Murder on the Orient Express) had a standard class five at the front dont know were they filmed it?

Both were at the NVR, the latter being 73050. The Bond film was GoldenEye, which was shot at the NVR and the old sugar factory. Octopussy features the NVR prominently as an east german railway.

Lets not forget the Miracle Express...

I'm sure we can all think of times when we've seen locos used in various film or TV productions, but the loco is out of place for what its role generally was.

This is funny because it's a 2884 Heavy Freight Class (GWR) being used as a pseudo 'speeding bullet'.

If I bought a Hornby 2884, would somebody do the transfers...

A recent Poirot (Murder on the Orient Express) had a standard class five at the front dont know were they filmed it?

It was 73050 at the NVR  for the running scenes and 73129 at Pinewood studios. The snow was interesting stuff and it came back to Butterley covered in it. Wasn't in traffic at the time due to slipped tyres.

• RMweb Premium

The '20' at the NVR was 'driven' by an old theatre Pantomime buddy of mine called 'Ziggy' Byfield. He was also a regular TV screen villain in cop programmes.

I seem to remember it entered he tunnel and then blew up! I presume Ziggy had a good laugh doing this?

P

This is funny because it's a 2884 Heavy Freight Class (GWR) being used as a pseudo 'speeding bullet'.

not seen this for an age

awsome video

bet it was fun on an open wagon at 25mph

BBC's Christmas Cranford special of a couple of years ago had all the railway scenes filmed at Foxfield with Bellerophon, two coaches from the Tanfield Railway, a tube wagon and the Littleton Colliery brake van! The series was supposedly set in the 1840s so nothing of the correct period there.

• 4 months later...

That said, the Basil Rathbone versions are only loosely based on the original stories and are set in the late 30's early 40's.

The first two, The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes were set in or around the right period, even if the locomotives were not. They moved to the 30s/40s when they started becoming propaganda pieces.

Archived