Baldwin B - 3D Model Project

Hi Everyone,

To avoid continuing to hi-jack Andy's thread, New project- Cuba (Hershey Interurban), I decided to start a separate thread here to document the development of a 3D printable model of a Baldwin B-type electric locomotive.

As those of you who have been following Andy's thread, I volunteered to create the digital model.  Andy has provided me with a basic drawing that I can get started with.  I'm post it here as soon as I get his permission.

I'll be posting updates here as the model develops.  Please feel free to contribute any info, photos, or advice that you have to offer.

Thanks,

Damin.

Excellent project, I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

For starters, I'd recommend drawing up the truck sideframes- I don't have any of my own photos of a "B" so here are some from a "B-1" at the Orange Empire Railway Museum, as they are of the same type and 6'6" wheelbase. Baldwin introduced this as an economy model to replace the standard "B" as they cost nearly as much to make as the much bigger "D".

They would also be suitable for the Red Ball Brass kit as AFAIK there is no commercial sideframe like the AMB sideframes for the GE Steeplecab. I have a silicon mould for a future project taken from a Brass loco, but a proper 3-D printed one would be better.

post-6819-0-88813200-1374169038_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-08580300-1374168988_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-20389200-1374168941_thumb.jpg

In case anyone who is watching has any photos to share but is unsure of the type of loco, the surviving "B" locos are at:

Working:

Iowa Traction 50, 51 & 54 (# 53784, 54748, 56538).

Preserved:

Shore Line Trolley Museum- ex Cornwall St. Rly  (# 45657)

Connecticut Electric Railway Association- ex Oshawa Rly 18  (# 48538)

Seashore Trolley Museum- ex Oshawa Rly (# 53049)

Ohio Rly Museum- ex Cornwall St. Rly 11 (# 53785) 

Unknown Location- TTX No.1 (# 47450)

There are also a couple of narrow bodied "B" units, CTA S-104 and S-105 (# 53555 & 53556) at the Interurban Heritage Center and IRM respectively.

Here are the results of the first night's work.  What do you think?

The wheels aren't part of the model; they're just there for reference.  I'll work on the leaf springs and well as the bracket that's top center in the sideframe (is that part of the bolster?).

I need to get some sleep now...

Thanks,

Damin.

post-17208-0-75550200-1374222950_thumb.png

Like this - a lot...

I know it's early days in the design phase , but has some thought been given to motorising ? As far as I know the truck centres are 55mm , which is a lot shorter than the popular Bachmann GE 44tonner chassis.

I know it only drives on one axle, but I have successfully motorised Roundhouse/MDC Boxcab shells using chassis from some of the Underground Ernie locos (the wheelbase can be adjusted by the user in "Bodge mode" - a lump of lead inside the body helps, both with speed and pulling power - the bogies need ther sides flattening and resin castings stuck on - I made mine in plasticine moulds, stamped with the sides of an old Athearn RDC bogie, using Davids FasGlas from the car accessories shop. They will probably need the backs rubbing down on coarse sandpaper to thin them down.

See ebay 281136905084 and 231016618140 for a couple at reasonable prices

Like this - a lot...

I know it's early days in the design phase , but has some thought been given to motorising ? As far as I know the truck centres are 55mm , which is a lot shorter than the popular Bachmann GE 44tonner chassis.

Mechanisms would depend on what scale you want to print the design at.  I'm building the model using prototype dimensions converted to meters.  After the basic model is complete, I can then adjust it to fit a specific mechanism.  This is the approach that I took with my F40PHM-2 project which is (finally!) nearing completion.

Thanks,

Damin.

From memory, when the subject was debated on a Traction Modelling forum, the common agreement was modellers wanted something of the quality of a Hollywood Foundry drive, but the size of a NWSL Stanton drive and at the price of a Bachmann Brill trolley....

My own personal preference would be for either a dedicated "off the shelf" drive from Hollywood Foundry, or perhaps a 3-D printed chassis block that would accept Bachmann trucks, worms, and universal joints from their 44 / 70 tonner / Underground Ernie chassis with a new motor. A major problem with this loco is the small offset end hoods, which restrict the space available for a traditional gear tower.

In N gauge, the Banzai chassis here is far superior to the Kato one - all-wheel drive, longer bogie wheelbase and bigger wheels. They run very slowly and pull more than the Kato.

I do like the look of that- I've not seen one recently, but there used to be a N gauge resin body for this type of loco listed on eBay quite reguarly.

I think one of the low profile Hollywood chassis might fit the bill - even if the motor was contained in the main cab structure with the drive below to allow for the hoods.

I'm not sure of the mechanics of finding a suitable N scale chassis and then changing the axles - whilst feasible , I doubt if there'd be sufficient power to haul very much.

In the absence of having any copyright free photos, I've had a look at the Iowa Traction locos on Rail Pictures by doing a search for "IATR" (can't seem to post a link at the moment). The three "B" locos are 50, 51 and 54, the fourth one (no.60) is a D model. The only major design variation are different vent grilles, the earlier numerous small vertical slots being replaced with fewer horizontal ones from the early 1920's.

I think #60 had a different coupler as well (radial coupler) , in some pics the bumper above is a different shape - if you compare with the others you'll see what I mean , at some point it also had a metal fairing on the front around the handrails that matched the curve. Naturally , 60 would the the one I'd build last....

Damin , I wouldn't worry too much about specifics like that - a "generic" B class shell that can be detailed to match chosen prototypes would be just the job.

Damin , I wouldn't worry too much about specifics like that - a "generic" B class shell that can be detailed to match chosen prototypes would be just the job.

I'm not too worried about specifics.  My goal is to design an easy-to-use shell with all of the basics in place, then leave it up to the individual modeler to go from there.  Take a look at my HOn30 GE 25-tonner for an example of what I mean.  The shell, as it comes, can snap onto the intended mechanism to produce a working locomotive.  However, an experienced modeler would want to add additional detail before calling it "finished."

This is a little different than the F40PHM-2 that I mentioned earlier.  Because that model was always intended to be specifically a Metra unit.

Thanks,

Damin.

How many would go for something like this?

I think I'd have to have a play with one first, I don't really buy into the "lets fit an axle-hung motor for the sake of it" ethos when there are better more traditional solutions available that sacrifice a bit of space inside of the loco.Traction isn't always associated with long trains, but modellers of the IATR and other Baldwin B customers would still require their locos to haul quite a few cars around fairly sharp curves. It is a difficult loco to motorise, perhaps Damin's next project could be a GE Steeplecab that would fit directly on to a Bachmann chassis....?

Progress as of this evening...

I'm thinking of re-doing the stirrups; they look a little chunky to me.

Thanks,

Damin.

I'm not sure whether it'd be better to produce them seperately (I'd only break them if they were moulded on), and there is some variation amongst locos, ranging from ones made from bent metal strip similar to yours, or chunkier ones with pressed steps from lattice plate. In model form these equate to steps lasercut from plastic sheet (AMB Steeplecab), flattened brass strip (on numerous brass imports), or cast whitemetal treads.

These gearboxes were developed specifically for powering interurbans the owner wanted the interior free of motors. I have another project which involves motorising a GE steeple cab, and I have found the it is very difficult to use any of the 'normal' solutions because of the lack of headroom above the bogies and space between the bogies. Hence the axle hung bogies were a response to particular design problems.

Archived