Baldwin B - 3D Model Project

So tonight I test fitted the 3D printed shell onto the Bandai chassis.  See the attached photos for the results.  I apologize for the poor color quality; these were taken with built-in camera on my Dell tablet (my regular camera is on loan to a friend).

The first photo shows the chassis with the motor removed.  It clips onto the frame and is secured by the two screws.  The circled portions are the bits that I trimmed off in order to clear the 3D printed shell.  If you look closely at the frame (sorry again for the crappy photo), you'll notice a pair of metal strips.  These convey the power from the trucks to the motor.  With the motor out, they simply lift off.  After that, rotate the trucks 90 degrees to the side and they drop right out of the frame.  A pretty elagant design!

The second and third photos show the 3D printed shell in place.  Once I had the printed shell and chassis together in front of me, some simple changes to the design became obvious.  I'll also need to widen some of the clearances a bit as the shell required some filing in order to allow the chassis to slip into place.  Also, note the rather wide gap between the frame and shell along the sides.

Other than that, it fits pretty well.  On to the next phase of the project!

Thanks,

Damin.

post-17208-0-82361800-1387865188_thumb.jpg

post-17208-0-08637900-1387865197_thumb.jpg

post-17208-0-85027500-1387865237_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Here's a progress report on the Baldwin Class B.  I've been working on the sideframes and have incorporated them into the Shapeways model.  Assuming my measurements are correct, they should fit right into the bracket on Bandai trucks.

I'll order another test shell and will post the results here.

Thanks,

Damin.

post-17208-0-44359800-1388724913.jpg

post-17208-0-75932300-1388724918.jpg

I have been playing around with the Bandai chassis ,its ABS so takes glue OK .This means I can glue a coupler mount to the actual trucks and then a Microtrains coupler with luck .i received by Bandai steeple cab yesterday .Very usable  though perhaps more European and of course Japanese than US though it will certainly look the part when Yankee'd up .

Looks interesting.  Unfortunately, I don't think it's designed to be motorized.  The description mentions that it requires a separate underframe, which I believe to be the one listed at http://www.shapeways.com/model/1607972/.  I left him a comment asking if it could be adapted to any of the mechanisms listed at http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/ChassisDim.htm.

by the way, he has several other examples of CNS&W equipment listed in his Shapeways shop.

Thanks,

Damin.

• 3 weeks later...

Attached are renders of the current state of the 3D model.

The latest (the 3rd so far) test-print turned out really well.  The sideframes look especially good.  The chassis is almost a perfect fit--except for a boneheaded mistake that I somehow missed in the 3D file!

I'll post photos as soon as I can get my hands on a decent camera.

Thanks,

Damin.

post-17208-0-78922000-1390786743.jpg

post-17208-0-78724000-1390786759.jpg

One question - How fragile are the footboards?

They are very delicate.  The Shapeways FUD material is very brittle and any part that projects outward from the rest of the model is likely to snap off if not handled carefully.  That said, I've only had one footboard break on the four or so test prints that I've ordered so far.  These are just test prints, so I left the broken part off.  If I was working on a finished model then I'd glue the part back on using super glue.

Thanks,

Damin.

They are very delicate.  The Shapeways FUD material is very brittle and any part that projects outward from the rest of the model is likely to snap off if not handled carefully.  That said, I've only had one footboard break on the four or so test prints that I've ordered so far.  These are just test prints, so I left the broken part off.  If I was working on a finished model then I'd glue the part back on using super glue.

Thanks,

Damin.

Wondering if it would make sense to have the pilot beam be thicker on the inside surface, and then drill holes in it and superglue in some footboards soldered up from brass...

and totally off topic, - I was at a model engineering show yesterday.  One guy was using a 3d printer to make plastic parts of a Jaguar 6 cylinder engine.  He's also building a running model in 1/4" scale...  Here's a pic of the result (he was also printing a 2nd one to show the machine working...)  Talked to him a bit about your shapeways project...

post-7591-0-92009000-1392576283.jpg

• 1 year later...
Ok, I suddenly reminded me that I am a registered rmweb user, why not post here myself ? After considering buying a MRR Warehouse kit, or waiting for Damin doing a H0 version of his excellent N scale Class B, I decided finally to draw my "own" Class B for H0 from scratch. Here are two renderings of the project.

The model is tailor made around two NWSL Stanton drives. All main measures, including wheel- and truck base, should be prototypical. I will add some more explanations and rendered views soon

best regards

Volkmar

post-16994-0-11384300-1425383144_thumb.jpg

post-16994-0-83316400-1425383144_thumb.jpg

Archived