The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

Ok Paul, as your 70's thread is so good with all those pictures around Bath I'll let you off  :sungum:

As for the ground signals, one of the joys of 2FS is that, like the emperors new clothes, you can tell people they work and they'll believe you because they can't see them  :jester:

have a great Christmas, Jerry

Jerry  don't forget Missy of this parish HAS made working 2mm FS   ground signals

• Like 1

oo

Richard Brummitt has also made a GWR revolving type of point disc !!  It was lit up as well !! :O

PS Happy New Year to all.

I must point out that -missy-s are also lit. I still enjoy the reaction of 4mm modellers picking their jaws from the carpet too much to install it permanently on the layout yet.

• RMweb Gold

I still enjoy the reaction of 4mm modellers picking their jaws from the carpet too much to install it permanently on the layout yet.

Well, good for you. I am more than happy to live in a modelling world where the 2mmFS brigade continue to give the larger scales something to think about. Healthy for the hobby.

• RMweb Gold

Missy Julia will be demonstrating her stunning 2mm models at the St Albans show in a couple of weeks. 2mm Andy, Kim and myself will be manning the 2mm stand and the superb 2FS layout St Ruth, set in West Cornwall, will be flying the 2mm flag so, all in all, a veritable feast of small scale modelling.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79864-st-albans-model-railway-exhibition-1112-january-2014/

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Missy Julia will be demonstrating her stunning 2mm models at the St Albans show in a couple of weeks. 2mm Andy, Kim and myself will be manning the 2mm stand and the superb 2FS layout St Ruth, set in West Cornwall, will be flying the 2mm flag so, all in all, a veritable feast of small scale modelling.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79864-st-albans-model-railway-exhibition-1112-january-2014/

Jerry

I must apply for a pass out although as I'm out this Saturday it might not be an easy task.

Jerry

And... may I add, that "2mm finescale's larger cousin" (i.e. S scale) will be in the basement at the St Albans 2014 show! This year we have a special display of Sn3½ 'Cape Gauge' models (New Zealand, Australian and South African) and modelling demonstration in support of the unfinished New Zealand Sn3½ layout 'Amber Lime Works'. More details here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55748-s-scale-exhibition-diary-latest-updates/

See you fellow two-millers and S scalers there!  

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cracking stuff from John as usual. Have you done any of the buildings Jerry?

I was hoping to catch this but Helston was out and it doesn't look good for the Sring Bank Holiday at Aylesbury Grrr!

Don

• RMweb Gold

My friend John Fryer built the superb Guinea Port cottages - essentially making up his own card kits from photos I took. They still need a bit of weathering and bedding in but are excellent and really transform the east end of the site. The rest of the railway buildings in view are my work although the real stars of the show are John's locos.

post-1074-0-20407300-1399848094_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-01949900-1399848123_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-01323700-1399848141_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-06543800-1399848167_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-97232300-1399848218_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the pictures Jerry. It great to see the layout in action in Helston the other week. Shame I couldn't stay longer, the very small child prevented that. 

• RMweb Gold

I am a believer in striving to achieve an overall standard. From the photos it looks as those the locos . the stock, the buildings are all of a high standard.

Don

• RMweb Gold

A few more snaps from Helston. I particularly like the last shot of Phil C obviously very much enjoying the sight of a T9 coming in off the North Cornwall line with a train for Padstow.

post-1074-0-80933300-1400227002_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-14082700-1400227019_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-08023400-1400227057_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-91549300-1400227091_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-45260500-1400227136_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-25269700-1400227153_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-31068300-1400227181_thumb.jpg

Just over a week to go until Aylesbury - do come and say hello.

Jerry

• Like 15

A few more snaps from Helston. I particularly like the last shot of Phil C obviously very much enjoying the sight of a T9 coming in off the North Cornwall line with a train for Padstow.

Hi folks!

Yep, I wuz there! And I enjoyed every minute on both days (as you can see), although by late Sunday afternoon I was flagging a bit. I have a large stock of photos of 'Wadebridge' from the Helston show to post here over the next few days. A taste-wetter for Railex. So watch this space... 

• 3 weeks later...

Having watched the video can I make the comment that the locos in Maunsell livery are slightly spoilt by the heavy white lining.

I do realise how difficult this lining can be, even in larger scales, because, despite being very narrow on the prototype, it does show up inside the outer, and wider, black band.

Part of the problem is that the lining wasn't normally white in practice.

The specification called for white paint, and that undoubtedly was what was used, however several contemporary reports of SR liveries speak of straw coloured lining and experience on the IoW Steam Railway, where the original specifications are followed as closely as possible, has shown that the white lining does turn straw very quickly indeed once a newly painted loco is returned to traffic. It is probably a result of a complex chemical reaction between the pigments in the white paint and the oil used to clean the locos.

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a very difficult call.  Lining in 2mm is tricky, do it to scale and it's almost non-existent.  Having been on the operating side of Wadebridge at Railex, all I can say is that it didn't seen jarring to me.

Operating Wadebridge was my 1st experience with DCC and I have to say, DCC suits the layout very well.  You can make all the operating movements which the prototype requires with minimum of fuss.

Will I be changing?  Probably not as for my style of layout it would be overkill but it's perfect for John's layout. Still needed to prod the odd loco from time to time.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having watched the video can I make the comment that the locos in Maunsell livery are slightly spoilt by the heavy white lining.

I can't agree. The lining is extremely fine even if it appears heavier in the pictures.

Have you seen the layout in the flesh or is your judgement based purely on the video?

Could you post some pictures of your locos so we can see how much of an improvement might be had with much finer, straw lining.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I for one have not yet had the pleasure of seeing this layout in the flesh, but I have done quite a bit of film work over time. 

Any apparent heaviness in the lining is most likely to be caused by accentuated contrast in the filmed image. 

A light colour (particularly of small area) against a dark background can sometimes glow unaturally, and look as if its actually a light source.

I was once in the audience at a TV Quiz Show, and during the setting up a guy in the front row wearing a white shirt had to be moved out of shot, as his shirt was flaring and messing up the image.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

• Like 4