Crowd funding sought for Gopher N Scale RTR AD60

Gremlin

"Gopher Models are proud to announce the world's first Ready-To-Run (RTR) NSWGR AD60 in N scale.

There is no Australian RTR N scale NSWGR AD60 available.  This is an iconic locomotive in Australia and, although there have been many HO scale versions produced in brass and RTR plastic, none have been produced in N scale.

In another innovation, crowd-funding using Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560185090/1122497060?token=52da1c8b) is being sought to produce this model.  If the funding goal is reached, then the production process in China will commence and it is expected that the models will be delivered in 18-24 months after the funding goal is met. This project will produce an exceptionally high-quality, injection moulded RTR model.  It will not be a rapid 3D prototype or a 3D printed model.

Gopher Models are produced by BadgerBits who have an enviable track record of producing quality Australian N scale locomotives and rolling stock.  The Gopher 48 class (Alco DL531 export model) has been an outstanding success and is indicative of the quality that can be expected from the AD60.

The AD60 has been in design stage for a long time and is now ready for production; all it requires is YOUR funding to make it happen.  The Kickstarter preview link may be found at

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560185090/1122497060?token=52da1c8b so you can see what the project is like.

The project will "go live" to accept pledges from 1st May 2014 and there is only 60 days in which to pledge money for the project.  If the funding goal isn't met within the 60 days, the project will NOT go ahead AND nobody will have money debited.  If the funding goal is met, then money will be debited and the model will be delivered according to schedule."

• 2 weeks later...

Almost 10 days have passed since the announcement was made and there have been nearly 900 views of the announcement on various forums, as well as the preview of the project itself!

What we need is some more feedback on the the project, there have been a few responses on the preview site and in forums, and it seems that there is general interest.  What we would like to know is, what else do *you* need to know to commit to the project?

Remember, the project goes live on 1st May and runs for only 60 days - the time limit is a requirement of the Kickstarter rules.

• 1 month later...

The project is now LIVE!!

Crowd funding site is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560185090/n-scale-nswgr-ad60-garratt-locomotive and the project will close on 30th June 2014.

This is the opportunity to get your own N scale AD60 Garratt locomotive. Remember that no funds will be taken from your credit card unless the project reaches its funding goal by 30th June.

For those interested I just got a message via Kickstarter saying that the expected delivery date is incorrect it is not June 2017, the correct expected delivery date is Jun 2016. 

Gremlin,

Can you tell us whether this is sitting on two mechanisms from another manufacturer, or are they purpose made (ie: correct diameter wheels and spacing). May I suggest that on the Kickstarter page you make it (very) clear the images and videos are of the previously designed and manufactured resin kit (under each photo), and can you tell us how the RTR injection moulded one will be better. In comparison to the Eureka HO one will this N Scale one have better tractive effort? DCC Concepts have a video of the Eureka model on a 1 in 30 slope and it can't pull the skin of custard, let alone a rice pudding. 

Cheers,

Hendo

The 2 mechanisms will be Gopher Models' own design (with 2 motors) to the correct dimensions, both wheel diameter and spacing as far as scale permits.  The model of the AD60 will pull a greater load than the prototype could, with ease.  It will also be compatible with the running quality and speed of the 48 class that is already on sale.  

The detail on the model will be of high quality and accurate but will not break off easily.  It is not a kit or anything like that (as was shown in the video and still pictures) but an RTR injection molded model with up to 9 different numbers and a select few that will the customer would be able to select their own number from. 

It will be of the late and heavy type, but if there is sufficient demand we maybe able to do the earlier version.

FAQs just updated to answer the questions posed by interested parties.

Must say, the uptake rate is somewhat slower than imagined...perhaps there is actually little interest in owning a RTR AD60 in N scale?  Please feel free to provide any feedback icon_smile.gif

I will be watching how this goes with interest. If it is sucessful, it could be a new model (pardon the pun) for producing our models. I believe Dave Jones has indicated that he is willing to consider commission work so if kickstarter can generate the funding then the manufacturing expertise is available.

I won't be participating in this particular venture personally as I don't think an AD60 ever ventured down the Bristol and North Sommerset railway. ;) However, I wish it th very best of luck.

Must say, the uptake rate is somewhat slower than imagined...perhaps there is actually little interest in owning a RTR AD60 in N scale?  Please feel free to provide any feedback [/size]icon_smile.gif

I suspect that the uptake rate will increase as it gets closer to the deadline, it is still only early days.

Just speculation on my part but the price seems quite high, even for a large engine. Now I will freely admit that I don't know what Australian prototypes cost on the whole. But large UK N gauge locos are generally around the £120 mark at the moment (although I will freely admit it is rising quite a bit faster than inflation). For the price of the AD60, I could buy a complete Blue Pullman. Alternatively in 00, I could buy a Beyer-Garrett (probably the closest UK equivelent) and still have some change left over for some wagons.

Now clearly the AD60 is a much more complex loco than the average British Pacific and I am quite willing to believe the cost reflects that complexity. I guess my question is how the price compares to the local competition?

RTR N Scale Australian locomotives are not particularly cheap as there are so few of them.  A 48 class (Co-Co) is around $240 and prices range between $240-$275 for similar diesels from other manufacturers.  There are no RTR steam locomotives in production, but a Pacific Class kit plus mechanism would approach $400, not including time to build, paint etc.  So it puts the AD60 into a value-for-money frame of reference.  Of course, one needs to have the money to spare :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are just over half-way through the funding cycle and we have approximately 75% of the funding target to go.

For those who are interested in an N scale AD60 but have not pledged, we would appreciate some feedback at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560185090/n-scale-nswgr-ad60-garratt-locomotive to get a better understanding of why the project isn't for you; cost, timeframe, something else?  It may help future crowd funding attempts succeed if this one fails.

• 2 weeks later...

Only two weeks to go to fund this amazing project!  Project funding finishes on 30th June 2014.

At the time of writing, the project is only 33% funded - that means that worldwide, there is only interest for 62 models of this iconic locomotive used in Australia and South Africa.

Now is the time to decide to pledge to have your very own RTR 4-8-4+4-8-4 on your layout.  Don't let this opportunity pass you by!

Remember, if the project doesn't meet its funding goal, then the RTR AD60 won't be made.

4 days to go and now 71% funded - so another 45 pledges...or a couple of big ones...and the RTR AD60 will be a reality :)

This is your chance to own a spectacular and unique locomotive - would look great as a visitor on almost any layout and would certainly become a talking point!

Well, the project completion date has come and gone!

Unfortunately, although there were almost 90 backers, the funding target wasn't reached, so there will be no RTR AD60 produced.

No funds have been debited from anyone's card and we now know that, although almost 5,000 people viewed the messages on the fora to which they were posted, and just over 1,000 visited the project page, watched the video and, presumably, read the project details, only 89 felt inclined to back the project.

Which seems to suggest that the AD60 is a very small niche, loved by many but not likely to be produced as a RTR model in the foreseeable future, because there is no financially-viable demand for it :(

Thanks to all who provided comments, suggestions and, most of all, backed the project icon_smile.gif

Hi Phil,

Sorry to see that this did not make it. You did get over 75% of the way which is an achievement in itself. I wonder if there is a way to get feedback from those who visited but did not pledge?

Best of luck with your future endeavours.

Archived