My HO switching shelf - Brett, ID

mog

Don't spend too much time on RMWeb as I tend to get lost! (usually lurking on quiet little corners like MTI)

Thought maybe I should share my current shelf layout..

It's been knocking about in a fairly unconvincing unfinished style for a while, but recently I've had a bit of injection of inspiration and made some progress. I'm thinking about the next one, but in the meantime having some fun with this.

Anyway, enough rambling..

More on the Blog:

http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/a-phoenix-arises-well-layout-is.html

long1.JPG

Nice looking layout, glad you have got re motivated. More pics would be nice. Happy modelling/playing trains.

(Looked at your blog, was going to leave a message there, but had to be signed up to do so, so it's here instead.)

Very encouraging comments thanks all. I'll endeavour to update pics as I go along. The grain silo I thought wasn't subtle enough, so I've given it a quick whiff of aluminium paint, (hoping to let the rust I'd done peek through) and I'll re-tackle that. Had the airbrush out last week, weathering some stock and that CN&W RS27. I got  a bit carried away and a little disappointed .. but rather than make it worse, it's to one side whilst I work out what to do. I'll post pics :-)

Hi David.

It's 8 x 1 ft.

The track plan really bothered me for a while.. as it just seemed too British and obvious being a loop with sidings.. but actually I'm enjoying it now and not worrying too much about that - I'll plan the next one a little more carefully. In the meantime, using 'Switchlist' to generate traffic, the plan keeps me occupied for half an hour's switching of an evening :-)

incidentally - there is no hidden staging or fiddle. The track front right acts as the 'interchange' or in/out track .. I figured early on that there was little point in trying to create an illusion of 'somewhere else' as this layout wasn't going to be leaving my spare room and it's only me playing with it! Not sure if I convinced myself yet!

incidentally - there is no hidden staging or fiddle. The track front right acts as the 'interchange' or in/out track .. I figured early on that there was little point in trying to create an illusion of 'somewhere else' as this layout wasn't going to be leaving my spare room and it's only me playing with it! Not sure if I convinced myself yet!

I also gave up hidden staging on my small layouts a few years ago, mainly for the reasons you have stated plus they used up approx 3ft on my 9ft layouts.

For years, I did not consider this approach, as I was always trying to emulate 'exhibition' style layouts with hidden staging.

A very nice, well executed layout. Great work Mog.

Mal

My H0 ISL, under construction, is also going to be around about 8x1ft, (it seems about the right size for my available space).

It will have a semi hidden staging track, behind an industry of 2 or 3 spots, whilst the rest of layout is a 3x 50ft car runaround, with a lead of loco+1car.

Off the loop, via turnouts & a crossing, are 2 further industries, one with 2 spots, the other with 3 spots. By using waybills, or similar, it should provide plenty of switching.

Great blog, Mog!   - Sorry couldn't resist that. :no:

I noticed on the second pic there is a switchstand next to the Peco turnout.  What make is it and do you use it to throw the switch (point)?

Mal

Archived