themagicspanner

One of the main areas that I've been working on recently are the rocks.

2014-03-29212154_zps388239f4.jpg

My technique has developed quite a lot lately and I've really settled on using DAS Clay formed into the basic shapes and then panted when wet - the stage the above photo is at. Once it's all dry I file away edges and cracks to create more texture and then create depth and highlights with washes of light and dark paints.

• Like 4

Another layout to capture the imagination.  The track plan and that first overall picture shows a seemingly quite small layout. The following pictures somehow portray a much larger scene. That twenty looks a great distance from the sea.  Have you employed some perspective modelling?  And I do admire the rocks, they look very realistic.  Is that the Knightwing bridge?  It looks very much like one I have, also painted red.  

Thanks Steve, I'm glad you like the layout.

The layout is very small. The following photo shows the space between the main line that the Class 20 is on and the rocks at the front:

2014-03-29190040_zps919b0afb.jpg

One thing that probably makes a bit of a difference to the perspective is the length of the grasses at the front - they are far too long and need cut down.

The bridge is the Ratio one built upside down. The way it's designed is totally non prototypical for the UK.

• Like 5

Hi

Like this a lot, the scenic work so far looks great. I especially like the way you have managed to give the impression that the branch and main line are separate and head in different directions.

At the station end, have you thought about how you are going to include part of the town that the station serves? It would help give the layout a good sense of place.

Regards

Nick

Thanks Nick.

In my original plan the branch was actually just a loco refuelling point so it's just by luck that it points away like that.

With regards to the town, I must confess that I made a bit of an error when I planned the station - there's not really enough space behind the platform to suggest much in the way anything behind there and I'm not really a fan of low relief buildings. That's why I've gone with the quarried out rock at the left hand end. I think I'll have to try some kind of back scene tucked in behind the trees that are going to be at the top of the cliffs.

Anyway, here are another few photos...

2014-03-30100157-2_zpseafdfe93.jpg

2014-03-30100246_zpsc5da52f7.jpg

• Like 3

Having noticed you were a follower on Arboretum Valley, I dropped in to see what you had to offer.

OMG What lovely scenery. You are not only smaller being 2mm...but you have some great usage of materials.

I like what I assume is gorse, and the trees appear to be sea foam, and you are on PIR or similar. Like your DAS rocks as well especially when you consider the smaller gauge. I am now definitely following you. Great work. :sungum:

Hey Jaz, thanks for the kind words.

The seafoam works quite well for the trees so long as you don't look too closely. The gorse has turned out quite well - just some Woodland scenics bushes with yellow enamels painted on.

Here are a couple of views from the deck end of the layout:

2014-03-30115024_zpsacd50204.jpg

37027 catching the evening light.

2014-03-30114933_zpsa52fe499.jpg

Edited by themagicspanner
  • Like 3

It's been all go this weekend. Here are a few of photos of the engine shed and dock area:

2014-03-30181524_zps21f8dd02.jpg

2014-03-30181615_zps75aa7a80.jpg

2014-03-30181551_zps2ae47612.jpg

All of those sets are hand scribed into a layer of Polycell Onefill. A painstaking job if ever there was one but quite worth the effort to have something that doesn't look too uniform.

• Like 7

Ian,

The rocks are roughly formed out of DAS clay to get the overall shape I want. Having lots of nooks and crannies makes for good texture and depth. Once I have the shape I flood everything with water and then apply a small amount of Payne's Grey and wash it all over trying to have a good variation in the colour - darker in the recesses and lighter on the edges. Once that lot's dry, which can take quite a while, I use sandpaper and a file to bring out more detail and then put another wash of colour to pick out the highlights. A little bit of brown help with the variation.

The gorse is simple - a mix of Woodland Scenics Dark Green Bushes, Medium Green Clump Foliage and a little Light Green Coarse Turf mixed in to take the harshness off the colours and then a few dabs of yellow enamel paint for the flowers.

I'm glad you like it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Yes, it dawned on me after I posted the above message that I'd seen Langley selling Artitec kits before, so they were probably the same!

I always thought the shrimp cutter could probably pass for a Scottish fishing boat to the casual eye...if suitably painted and lettered...

Thanks for posting the photos you have and please keep them coming!

cheers

Ben A.