Tetleys Mills- the sale of the layout and collection.

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Just giving everyone another prod really. We have nearly £5000 in the bank, and,apart from the dioramas, only four items still to be sold. We are so close to 100% success, so one final effort is called for. Can someone find a home, and a use, for:-

One Badger 150 airbrush       SOLD

One static grass applicator      SOLD

Two lovely kit built Thompson non corridor coaches.

Even if you can't, please spread the word to others who might.

Thanks,

Gilbert.

Edited by great northern

• RMweb Premium

I have tried very hard to find a case  and or evidence for that, but to no avail.

Gresley TO yes and that was coupled to a Bubblecar believe it or not.

Thompson Subs no sadly.

Edited by Mallard60022

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just say a very public thank you to Gilbert and Andy and all the other people who've helped them with their sad task, I found them all a pleasure to deal with despite the circumstances. Many thanks  everyone,

Matt

Edited by QuoitsPlayer
  • Like 3

I can only speak for my communications with folk whilst sending parcels out but everyone has been a pleasure to deal with which I think goes to show that so many of the items sold have gone to people who will genuinely enjoy them, have paid a fair price and will, I'm sure, in many cases show the ongoing life of many items. I'm sure Dave would approve so you'll have a viaduct to show us in due course Matt. ;)

Tony has done some good work to tidy up the surrounds of the large diorama board which will be on show at Peterborough this weekend by the BRM stand, again this scene will go on to another life at BRM towers unless anyone makes us a good offer over the course of the weekend and can fit in their car to take away on Sunday. Julie will be visiting us on Sunday and bringing along a selection of Dave's book collection for sale along with an honesty box so if you're coming to the show please do take time to take a look at this salute to Dave's work.

• Like 6

But that wouldn't prevent you from running the occasional Dave Shakespeare Special, wouldn't it? ;)

Don't forget the "specials" such as the Boy's Brigade special train that ran to Lyme Regis once a year, from somewhere like Bolton.  There's more details in those books I have about the Lyme branch if only I knew where they were :P

• RMweb Premium

Did they ever run on the Seaton branch...?

No, but they are going to run in the USA......or a part of it on a small island in the Irish Sea! :sungum:

Another big public thank you to Gilbert, Andy and anyone else involved in the task of sorting out Dave's stuff.  Well done chaps, I have done this myself and it isn't an easy thing to do at all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This looks like just about the final update. The large diorama was bought at Peterborough for £250, and will be incorporated into a new layout, which is great news. Julie has decided to keep the small diorama herself, and have it on display at home, and I'm really pleased about that too, as otherwise there would be nothing left for her at all. I admit I had been worrying about these, as it seemed to me that however well all the rest had gone, somehow it would all have been soured if Dave's last work had not been preserved, but that concern is lifted now.

Julie, with impressive help from young grandson Joshua, also disposed of all the railway books at Peterborough. I was there when some of them went, and as with everything else, those who took them were generous indeed in their donations. More parcels were also collected at the weekend, so I reckon we have a few where collection has been agreed but not yet taken place, a few more to be collected at Warley, and a couple somewhere between here and Australia. I've had one report of minor damage, but otherwise things seem to have arrived intact- unless of course you know different, in which case please let me know. All is now sold.

I did succeed in transposing two of the memorabilia packs, but the recipients were very understanding - thanks chaps- and I also succeeded in selling one item twice! Again though, those concerned were very helpful, and agreed to my suggestion as to how that could be resolved. If that is all that has gone wrong, I'm not displeased. I had only one time waster in all my dealings, everyone else was a pleasure to deal with, understanding, co-operative and unendingly generous. My faith in human nature has been greatly restored.

So, where are we today? When I have paid the final cheques and cash into the bank, the account will contain £5625.17. There may be one or two very minor adjustments to make, but I'm confident that we shall be giving Julie at least £5600 to hand over to Cancer Research. That is a wonderful effort on everyone's part, and far exceeds my wildest dreams. On behalf of Julie and myself, I want to express our thanks and gratitude to everyone who contributed to that sum. My thanks also to those who assisted me in carrying out Dave's wishes. Tony Wright and Andy York have both been absolute towers of strength, both during our frequent visits to Ancaster, and in many other ways. Phil Ramsay too provided invaluable assistance at the packing stage. I could not have done this alone, that is for sure, and I am enormously grateful for the help, and just as important the support, which they have given me.

It is 48 days since I started this thread, and it is almost unbelievable that so much has been achieved in so short a time. The task that Dave asked me to underatke, and which I was honoured to be given, was to leave Julie with an empty room to do with as she wished, and with the least possible hassle and distress to her in so doing. The room is now empty, though the gap in our lives remains. With your help, I have been able to do as my friend asked, and we shall have been able in a small way to ensure that in future less families have to endure the trauma and heartbreak that this awful disease causes. That is a wonderful result, and one of which Dave would have been proud. I shall now arrange with Cancer Research for Julie to hand over the cheque to them, and we will post photographs of that event in due course. We have lost Dave, but his memory, the profound influence he had on so many people to start in the hobby, to return to it, or just to try to raise their own standards, will never die.

Gilbert.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 3

Gilbert, Andy, Tony and Phil 

I have little doubt that while Dave takes a moment from advising 'The Boss' on how to get just the right look in 1:76 rather than 12" scale, he'll see what you guys have achieved and smile. It speaks volumes about Julie's kindness that she has so wholeheartedly worked with you guys to not just preserve and spread Dave's memory, but also to do something powerful for Cancer Research.

I'm sure all of us on this forum, and indeed the whole hobby, would like to express out heartfelt thanks to you all.

Andy - I know it's not a model shot, but do you think it would be appropriate for you to take your modern day Box Brownie along to the cheque presentation  and send copies to the editors of the local papers, as well of course include them in the upcoming feature which I'm sure you're planning about how Shakespeare's Spirit is enriching our hobby?

Apart from a lasting memory, such coverage would do the hobby no end of good.

Well done to you all, and I like, many can confirm the excellent quality of care, patience and packing!

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, I have been amazed at how well you have managed to sort this.  I've been involved with quite a few estate disposals and I know how hard it can be, especially when it is a dear friend.  I think it speaks volumes of the friendship you and Dave had and how his work and camaraderie touched so many of us.  Thanks also to Andy Y, Tony W and everyone else who has helped, and I look forward to seeing the pics of Dave's modelling now running across the globe.

Well done to you!

Cheers
Tony 

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Gilbert you a gentleman. Once again the whole story just goes to show that the hobby is full of decent people who will always help out in times of distress.

I'm sure that Dave is looking down from the great layout in the sky feeling very humbled and content

• RMweb Gold

I have tried very hard to find a case  and or evidence for that, but to no avail.

Gresley TO yes and that was coupled to a Bubblecar believe it or not.

Thompson Subs no sadly.

I have a vague memory of a report of a Thompson Non-gangway coach being included in the Cleethorpes - Exmouth on one occasion. In fact I think I read itin one of your posts somewhere.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

I have a vague memory of a report of a Thompson Non-gangway coach being included in the Cleethorpes - Exmouth on one occasion. In fact I think I read itin one of your posts somewhere.

Yup, you did.

Picture in Ivo Peter's S & Dorset In the 60s series;  1960 - 62. Vol 3.

The Semi Lav Composite was the first coach of an 11 coach train in summer 62, the other carriages appearing to be Mk1s.

Reason I didn't need Dave's coach......I've half built a Comet (the late Geoff Brewin's) one and actually have another kit; a (the late) John Fozzard version!

Phil

Well, I finally had some free time to photograph my stock, which came last Thursday:

The Mk1 BSK. This will be turned into Bulmers liveried M35219, and have the Commonwealth bogies changed out for the BR1s under my RMB, which incidentally needs Commonwealths fitted

post-14921-0-50292300-1414745147_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-78450100-1414745157_thumb.jpg

The Ks BR liveried P2. This will be staying as is, but will have the AWS bang plate refitted, as that came off in the mail

post-14921-0-25751500-1414745170_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-21069500-1414745182_thumb.jpg

The P2 with the Mk1 BSK, my RMB and my BSK

post-14921-0-66982300-1414745194_thumb.jpg

And comparing noses, the P2 in the company of a Hornby Empire of India which is to be turned into Bittern in preservation condition, with second tender

post-14921-0-20442100-1414745206_thumb.jpg

I will happily say that Gilbert has been excellent to deal with, even from halfway around the globe. I don't think I have ever had someone as easy to deal with, and someone who has kept me up to date every step of the way. Thanks again Gilbert

Edited by 69843
  • Like 9