Tetleys Mills- the sale of the layout and collection.

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I have added some more photos, parcels vans,and a diesel brake tender, towards the end of my original list on Page 1 in the very first post. For some reason, they didn't add right at the end, so please scroll up a little. I'm having technical problems in adding any more on there, and it occurs to me anyway that that post is getting very unwieldy, so I will put more on below, and probably start removing things that are sold from the original list as well.

Here are the buildings which I can find in the room now. I thought there would be more, but I'm sure we have now opened every box, so these will be the last chance to get a Tetley's building. Photos are of both sides where appropriate. One or two really iconic and instantly recognisable ones here, so quality if not quantity. Having said that, I need to emphasise that Dave was an impressionist, and had a very broad brush approach. They look great from normal viewing distance, but do not really bear close up scrutiny. Anyway, there is nothing more redolent of the man and the modeller than these, so please make me an offer! I'll throw in the seagulls for free. :jester:

I now have an offer of £100 for the building in the last photo, the one with the turret. Offer of £75 for the first building, the "bomb site" one.   ALL BUILDINGS NOW RESERVED PENDING PAYMENT.

building%2004B.jpg

building%2004A.jpgbuilding%2003.jpgbuilding%2002B.jpgbuilding%2002A.jpgbuilding%2001.jpg

Edited by great northern
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Great pics G. Thanks. The Brake Tender could be PDK (mixed materials, resin body, cast bogie sides, etched parts, as most of their loco's) but there is another all white metal kit available but I can't remember who does that at the mo.

Those Siphons look good; if nobody jumps at them I'd bid.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I'll try to add a few more photos, if the ***** computer will co-operate. Here is a rake of eight bogie bolsters with loads, which I  intend to sell as a complete train, so bids on that basis please.  SOLD.

various%20bogie%20wagons.jpg

Edited by great northern
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There are a lot of road vehicles. Most are RTR, but there are a few kit built ones as shown below. Again, I'd be reluctant to sell these in single lots, except at a show. I will get round to putting the RTR ones on the inventory soon, after which I will list descriptions, but not photos.

TWO SOLD.

various%20kit-built%20road%20vehicles.jp

Edited by great northern

• RMweb Premium

Last for now are images of a selection of wagons, just to show the standard of Dave's work and weathering. A few are kit built, but most are RTR. Again, we just can't photograph them all, but I will post a full list when I can get them on the inventory. I need a few more hours in the day. :sad_mini:

various%20wagons.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Another idea I have is that I could put together Tetley's Mills memento packs, so that those who can't or don't want to run to expensive locos or stock can still have something to remind them of Dave. There are loads of small things, vehicles, people, water cranes - all the detail items you would expect, but which I just can't sell singly.

Some would cost more than others. There are I think four station name boards for Tetley's Mills, Tetley's Mills Bull Ring, and Bardon Road. Packs that contained those would be priced somewhat higher, for I hope obvious reasons. Anyway, what I would propose is to put these packs together, then post them on here with a list of contents, and a guide- i.e. minimum, price. Then it is up to you how much you are prepared to pay. I confess this is an unashamed ploy to part you from your money, but it is after all in a very good cause. Does that idea meet with general, or indeed any, approval?

By the way, I have already received payments to the tune of nearly £1000, and I have pledges, or cheques awaiting clearance, for considerably more. I have had only one time waster, everyone else has been absolutely genuine, and all the offers I have had have been  reasonable ones - no offers of 99p! Many thanks for all your interest so far, and let's keep this rolling. it will help Julie at a very difficult time, and the more we can give to Cancer Research, the better.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

For the wagons, would there be a set price which you'd like to see per wagon, or is it whatever is offered?

I do apologise. I thought I had put this earlier in the thread, but it seems I didn't. There will be a flat rate of £5 per RTR wagon, unless stated otherwise. Kit built ones would be dealt with as I am doing with other things- I invite bids, and highest wins.

Does that idea meet with general, or indeed any, approval?

Sounds good to me; even if it's "outside of my era" there are always relics of railway tucked away at the end of sidings, lineside etc, that I'm sure with a bit of creativity most of us could find an excuse for.  A few trees would be nice :P

• Like 1

Hi, From the picture, I am 99% sure that it was made from a Mopok kit, around in the 1970's with a vac-formed body, wood floor & whitemetal bogies etc.

Is it the diesel brake tender you're mentioning?

If so, I doubt if it's Mopok. There is no wooden floor, it's just open inside, with stretchers to take the bogies (which are the standard Bachmann LNER sort). I'll check again tomorrow, but I think the whole body is cast metal. 

There is no wooden floor, it's just open inside, with stretchers to take the bogies (which are the standard Bachmann LNER sort). I'll check again tomorrow, but I think the whole body is cast metal. 

In which case it sounds like the ABS kit.

Hello, Great Northern.

Sorry to make another demand on you but I am wondering whether the two diorama sections (which appear to be a viaduct over a street scene and a viaduct over fields if I have interpreted Tony's photos correctly) could be fitted into my Bradford/Clecklewyke scheme.

It would help me decide if we could have plans or at least dimensions and "satellite" views of them.

I have to say that I found the first photo almost disturbing as it portrays exactly the everyday scene of a railway threading its way through a townscape that I am wanting to do - but so much better than I have achieved. It took me ages to get to sleep last night: I could not get it out of my mind! The only weakness in an otherwise perfect depiction is the gap between the corridor connections of the DMU - easily abolished with the help of Photoshop!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hello, Great Northern.

Sorry to make another demand on you but I am wondering whether the two diorama sections (which appear to be a viaduct over a street scene and a viaduct over fields if I have interpreted Tony's photos correctly) could be fitted into my Bradford/Clecklewyke scheme.

It would help me decide if we could have plans or at least dimensions and "satellite" views of them.

I have to say that I found the first photo almost disturbing as it portrays exactly the everyday scene of a railway threading its way through a townscape that I am wanting to do - but so much better than I have achieved. It took me ages to get to sleep last night: I could not get it out of my mind! The only weakness in an otherwise perfect depiction is the gap between the corridor connections of the DMU - easily abolished with the help of Photoshop!

Ian

They will be at RMWeb live at Coventry this weekend Ian, so there will be an opportunity to study them first hand. I'm not going to say too much yet, but there may be just a possibility that we have found somewhere very appropriate where these could go on permanent display to the general public. If so, that is where they will go, as it is Julie's preferred option. For that reason, I don't want to enter into any more possible sale discussions just now, but rest assured that if this possibilty falls through, as it well may, the fact that they are available will be made widely known.

Hello, Great Northern.

Ian

Ian,

I thought of filling in the gap between the two cars of the DMU, but didn't; for one reason only. That DMU is up for sale (it might already have been) and if a prospective purchaser believes that the two cars have been 'closed-together' somehow, he/she might not like to be misled. 

On the Bachmann DMU I own, I've closed the Olympic-long-jump-qualifying-distance divide between the two cars and fitted a concertina 'bellows' connector between them. I have generous-radius curves, so to have 'physically' done the same via Photoshop on Dave's DMU would not have been 'right' in my opinion (though they still would have been too far apart).  

But, many thanks for appreciating the pictures.

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is this evening's update. Locomotives are fast selling out, and I have bids for all of those that are not sold. Where I have already received payment, items are marked sold, while if I have accepted a bid, but for whatever reason payment has not yet been made, for instance cheque not cleared, or buyer wishing to bid for other items when I have posted details, they are marked "Reserved pending payment"  We have two consignments which will be going to Australia already. Dave's renown was truly global.

I have totalled up the sums,and including the present best offers for items on which bidding has not yet closed, we have for locomotives alone £1775. Applying the same criteria to coaches, wagons and buildings, we have another £725, which means that in one week, you have paid or pledged £2500, which I think is quite magnificent, and a testament to the generosity and kindness of RMweb members.

Kind and concerned people have enquired as to how I am coping with the workload. Well, I'm not going to deny that there is plenty to be done, but everyone I have encountered has been an absolute pleasure to deal with, whether they have secured whatever they wanted or not. So, although it is a sad task, and one I would would have wished to be delayed for many years, I am also enjoying playing a part in a wonderful communal effort, for two hugely worthwhile causes, one to help Julie to have one less thing to worry about, and the other to boost the coffers of Cancer Research. Thanks to all of you, we are doing very well on both counts. More things will be catalogued tomorrow, and I'll get them on here as soon as I can. Please continue to be as generous as you have been up to now, and bear with me if I take a while to answer your PM's.

If you haven't seen the buildings which are further up this page, one of them is the Dolphin pub, outside which two heavies were forever punching the lights out of each other. I'm sure I've seen the figures somewhere, so if I can find them I will include them with the building, free of charge. :swoon:  There has been quite a bit of support for my memorabilia box suggestion, so I'll try to get something done about that tomorrow. And now to bed, tired, but happy.

Hi Great Northern,

So sorry to hear about Dave, I knew he was ill but thought with his positive attitude he would beat it. 

I didn't speak to him on here but used to follow his thread,and very much enjoyed seeing his layout in  Modelrail and other mags. I thought he was a good modeller who really captured an area he loved.

All my best wishes to Dave's family and to you for taking on the job of selling Dave's Stock etc.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A short update tonight. Another day at Ancaster, with Tony and Andy trying to remove the diaramas so that they could be taken to Coventry this weekend. We discovered that Dave liked belt braces and a few other garments type technology, so there were screws, there were nails, there was glue......... Not only that, having completed one bit of baseboard, he would join it to the next, and in so doing make screws etc inserted earlier absolutely inaccessible. Several hours later, after I had heard a few very inventive curses which were new to me, one of them was finally removed. The other defied all efforts, and my suggestion to hit it with a big hammer was met with contempt. Then we realised that we couldn't get the one we had removed into Andy's car anyway.

So, the diaramas will not be at Coventry. It was asking a lot anyway, as the time scale was so tight. In any event Julie feels that it has come a bit to early for her to be there as she had planned, so the whole thing is postponed to Peterborough, though the Shakespeare Spirit award will still be presented at the Ricoh on Saturday afternoon.

Speaking of Peterborough, I have to announce that there will be no stand there selling Shakey stuff. Why? Because so much has already sold that we don't have enough meaningful stuff to put on it. It is all your fault for being so generous :jester: . You will however be able to pick up items from the BRM stand, and the diaramas will be there, as will Julie.

I'll post details of more wagons tomorrow, but it is bedtime now.

There was also a Crownline brake tender, cast bogies and a vac formed (IIRC) body. I don't recall what the floor was made from but certainly not wood. I've got one in storage and can dig it out if you're still stuck for identification.