Boxchester Complete

SouthernBlue80s

Hi

An update. I have extended this and have added a main line next to yard. Was not too sure how it was going to look but pleased with the result.

Western Region in the evening photo set. I do not have a good camera, just a phone but hopefully it captures some atmosphere.

Featuring - 50037 in pre refurbishment work stained condition, 47285 on parcels, 47076 on a speedlink and a permanent way train and a spit headcode 37 nips in running light engine

IMAG1048_zps8eq38cl3.jpg

IMAG1045_zpsm9fp0wyk.jpg

IMAG1044_zpsfwpbvzi1.jpg

IMAG1043_zpsghwsbvqm.jpg

IMAG1039_zps3xhxoxpb.jpg

IMAG1038_zpsjutasaor.jpg

IMAG1033_zpsnyi36xwm.jpg

IMAG1032_zpsvrbks8ux.jpg

IMAG1033_zpsnyi36xwm.jpg[/url]

IMAG1024_zpsfsd5oa16.jpg

P4120030_zpsupo3g6mz.jpg

IMAG1026_zps8fi3udpi.jpg

P4120016_zpsmnslgwdk.jpg

IMAG1022_zpsshrdajka.jpg

P4110006_zpseqqynyvc.jpg

IMAG1035_zpsinsuo6cb.jpg

P4110007_zpsrilewzlm.jpg

P4120011_zps91fmwyb6.jpg

P4120013_zpsujmjegfq.jpg

P4110010_zpsikvzpn6x.jpg

IMAG1047_zpsxutazejx.jpg[/url

IMAG1031_zps9oq9cmuo.jpg

P4120019_zpsonxupx6v.jpg

Yes it is a bit different Jeff.

I built the main line as a stand alone photo plank, with half an idea that it might look OK next to the layout. And I quite liked it so I bolted it on and largely blended it in.

And yes it is all a bit blurry. Perhaps I will invest in a half decent camera and get some proper detail shots up at some point.

I might move the plate layers hut over to next to the main line, perhaps stick a signal and a speed restriction sign on the main line too.

When I get my depot finished I will try and get some pics of that up, as some of your pics were inspiration for that one.

Cheers

Steve

Thank very much for sharing these pics. I really do like this era. Your locos and stock are looking great. The detail you have added to the whole area looks spot on. This is something I too am try to achieve.

Happy modeling Dan

Thanks Dan

It is a shame I have a rubbish camera phone so I can show the detail.

I bought a Lima BG and that is my weathering test bed. As with all these things it is a constant learning curve

Picked up a few hints and tips off folks on here

Happy modeling too :)

I don't have a camera. I'm just using an I pad which does great pics. Then when I resize them to get the right file size so I can upload on to this site they loose a lot of the quality. Take a look I may be like you im thinking it is a lot worse than it is. Some of of the things the guys make, paint and how they photograph there models sometimes make me think mines just not good enough. in short yours looks great

Dan

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks very smart this!!

cant beat bit of BR blue diesels...

Quite right.  At the time, I never thought I would feel nostalgic about the BR Blue period....

I actually think they often looked better in Green.

However I remember them in Blue. BR Blue was my era as young man. So a big slice of nostalgia for me.

Also the 80s was the last decade when we had a sizeable industrial base served by a large rail network with a wide variety of British built traction.

So that also really adds to it for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The yard is powered, occasionally I run something up and down. The main line is not.

I added the main line later as an afterthought.

I would like it all to be powered. But where I live I have very limited space. So that 40x 240cm is all I have end off.

So I resigned my self to fact that it is not so much of a layout that runs but more of display and I have concentrated on the general atmosphere. I kind of treat it like a 3d painting, trying to recreate BR Blue in the 80s that holds so much magic and atmosphere for me in my memories

IMG_20161130_121808_zpsmc3y084k.jpg

47436 waiting to come onto the fuel point

IMG_20161130_121828_zps0hrfyccf.jpg

IMG_20161130_121858_zpsmhrlwtdc.jpg

IMG_20161130_121925_zps4ddskofu.jpg

Only three wagons in the yard today, not much happening

IMG_20161130_121957_zpsui5e2xbc.jpg

Having a chat whist waiting for 47436 to head onto the fuel point 

(47076 in the background stabled in front of the storage van)

I would like to say thanks for the positive comments as it is gives me impetus to keep modeling :)

• 1 month later...

It started Southern, southern ground signal, red and white on the buffer stops ect ...but it seems to have kind of crept west. Westbury ish.

When I get my Dapol 73s I will do some southern scenes. Just 33s and 73s with a 47 in the background somewhere.

mine's Eastleigh, Salisbury or Westbury!

or at least in the general area

You have created much the sort of atmosphere, desolation, neglect and toned-down colours, together with highly believable infrastructure for BR Blue, that I will be attempting with my new layout, Queenborough to Sheerness, set in the early '80's, appearing soon in a barn near me (only have to concrete the floor, now the leaks and a collapsing wall have been dealt with....).

Thank you for the inspiration - please keep going!! Less is very often more, as you are showing.

Being an East Kent boy. I look forward to seeing it Mike.

I in turn have gained inspiration from RM web too.

I have new layout in offing. Small mind, given my space constraints. I want use bullhead rail on it.

Perhaps I should get going on it! Midland JunctionI will call it, lots of blue brick, bridges and run down early 80s.

I will see if I can hunt out some more pictures for you

Archived