I am so very happy.
Hatton's has the Heljan-Olivia's Trains 27001 Ariadne listed as a bargain, just under 100 GBP. Once I was through processing, I had it bought and shipped for $110. Great deal! I do need to figure out which coaches are appropriate for a Brunswick green 77, though. Any opinions? I was thinking maroon was the livery to grab?
I also ordered a second-hand Lynton & Barnstaple 4-wheel open. Just adding to a small collection of narrow gauge.
Both clubs I am part of, the British Train Society, and the European Train Enthusiasts club, Chicago Chapter, showed at the annual All-American Railroad Show in LaGrange, IL today. I only took a few pictures.
Short note - new toys in the mail.
I managed to catch the Rails of Sheffield flash-sale on the Heljan L&B Manning-Wardle 'Taw' in Southern lined green. I must say, beautiful model, but the relevant thread elsewhere gives me pause to running it. Shame, cost me enough. On the same order, I grabbed a couple of L&B bogie opens in Southern colors & markings.
From the depths of eBay, I won this monstrosity;
I regret my decision. Runs lik
Two entries on two nights, and both poor showings.
I've mentioned earlier in this blog that I had two locomotives fail during the Christmas season, my Terrier and 14xx. Tonight, I attempted to take them apart to ascertain what failed, and what I could do to remedy the issues.
First, I attempted the Terrier. Completely mangled the thing. One of the clips just would not let go, and by the time it did, I had bent one of the coupling rods, lost a coupling rod pin, and
I've managed to mangle two projects tonight. I've taken no pictures, in absolute shame.
Firstly, I had done a very rough cut of a baseboard for my shoebox layout. General idea was that I could build the whole of the layout on the plywood, so that I could work on it without destroying the box. Problem with my cutting the baseboard myself is I only have a ripsaw, triangle, and tape measure handy. Nary a sawhorse in sight. Also, the sheet I started with wasn't square in the
Updates will be thin for a while. Well, thinner than normal. I have other, more pressing or older projects that do not involve model railways in the slightest. Still, a shortlist of relevancy.
Firstly, I am officially abandoning the 56XX kitbuild. The Grafar chassis under it made a circuit and a half on my loop, and quite. I am already $150 into the build, and I do not fancy trying for another donor chassis. Also, I had just found the announcement from RevolutioN about their plans on produci
For about two years now, I have been planning on a modest T-trak layout. If you are not aware, T-Trak is a system based around Kato's Unitrak system, taking advantage of the strength of the joiners used. The modules are also based largely on Unitrak's standard lengths, with the normal straight module being 2mm shorter in length than a Kato double crossover, the largest single piece of track in the Unitrak catalog.
Part of my goal with this layout is to run...whatever I damn well please!
Sorry I've been quiet. I've mostly been lazy lately, but I've had other business as well.
Firstly, the 5600 was built and tested. Can't complete a circuit of the loop I have set up at work. Shame. I don't think I'll pursue it further; any money I saved buying the kit secondhand has been spent trying to get a decent 94XX donor.
Secondly, found a couple of gentlemen with some bring-backs at the local model train show/swap meet. I picked up a Langley yard crane. A lot of fl
Not much progress, really. Been a bit of a bum week for the workbench, errands and more pressing issues cutting into my limited worktime. Most, if not all of that time is recently, and for a while, given over to a Bolt Action army I've been trying to paint as a set. Not doing this again!
Firstly, I've added the small parts to the 56xx. Needs some finessing, though. The rear sanders and front steps foul the rather large pins on the drivers for the rods. Based on space, I'm lo
As promised, I've taken some pics of what I've done so far.
Tonight was solely the 56xx. I've long had the body built, honestly to a mediocre standard.
This will be my first locomotive kit, so on this build I'll stand the molded handrails, and the castings that came with the kit. Most of my work tonight was finishing the hole for the trailing axle.
I think I managed to get the hole too high, though; the trailing wheels look to be a floating axle.
I thought I might start chronicling what I do on my cramped little workbench. I haven't much to show yet except ideas and plans.
Firstly, I've a Langley GWR 56xx kit I'm working on. I have managed to satisfy myself with the fit of the body to the Poole-Farish 94xx chassis, so currently the goal is to get the hole drilled for the trailing wheel. I've already managed to burn out a bit, and the local Ace hardware only had one on hand, so I'll need to wait until Thursday for them to restoc