Now I finally get onto the interesting bit, modifying the chassis to correct the mess Bachmann made of the design.
I started by removing the buffers, central lamp iron and oil lubricator box from the front of the chassis, putting aside for later. The first job was to use the supplied template to drill the lifting eyes into the front frame, so far so easy with a 0.8mm drill.
The next job was a lot tougher, removing the Collett hall footplate between the front frames. I couldn't find a
Following on from my last blog 'Second Thoughts' I've been thinking some more about where I see my modelling going over the next couple of years.
First up the two baseboards that I have already are slightly too big for the 2010 challenge, which does add an extra complexity to my deliberations (mostly stemming from the fact that I dispise any form of woodwork, and while I do keep having thoughts about building a metal framed baseboard, it dosnt suit its self to the sort of odd shape that I wo
Having spent today working on the first baseboard joint, which in theory means that I can now start work properly on the first baseboard, I'm now having 2nd thoughts.
As ever its coming down to space (or more to the point the lack of it). Have an interview next week, and should I get the job its going to be yet another move (and even less space than I have at the moment). I could still keep the layout at my parents house, but to be honest I know they would rather not have a room cloged up wi
First off I needed to make some minor changes to the track plan, shifting point locations in order to clear cross members on the baseboards. Once this was sorted I then made a start on test fitting templates onto the two baseboards. This was made slightly more tricky by not having the station board built (with the end of the platform being the datum from which everything else needed to be aligned...) Thankfully a combination of the CAD drawing, and positioning the station boards templates on the
Well thats the track plan pretty much sorted, at least until the accurate templates arrive and I can start gluing them down to the baseboard. With a bit of luck I may even get baseboard no3 built at the weekend (though given my dislike of woodwork I doubt that...)
This evening has been spent working on a CAD drawing of the whole layout, working around the templot drawing to add in the platforms, buildings and bridge. Still needs a lot of tweaking to get things in the right place (particularl
The last day or so has been spent doing yet more fine tuning to the Templot plan for Bodmin, Focusing on more small improvements to alignment, and more importantly sorting out the sleepers.
This results in a change from this:
There is still a fair bit more to do, with the Sleeper spacing still needing to be corrected on to concrete track (still more reading of the manual needed to work out how to have two different sleeper spacings on the layout without
Back to Templot and messing around with Bodmin's track plan.
Having failed completely at my first attempt at printing the track plan, I've now noticed that there is still a fair bit of work to do before its going to be ready to start sticking down on baseboards.
At the moment it looks like there are 3 main jobs to do. Firstly some of the track is not properly connected together (ie its just arranged by eye), I'd prefer to get this connected up to make sure the alignment is spot on before
A little more progress this afternoon, having found a lot more information on the original road bridge in the MRC article on the North London Scalefour group's Bodmin layout, I have set about drawing up my version of the bridge.
Having finished copying the old bridge from their drawings, the next step is going to be adding the more recently built foot bridge (however thankfully there are quite a few photos of this, so it shouldnt be too difficult to suss out the sizes.....)
The next step on the building design for Bodmin was the signal box, drawn using the same method as described in my previous post. Still need to correct a couple of details (chimney location) but its pretty much there.
The next step is going to be looking at the bridge, though without a bit more photographical evidence to work from this is going to be a little tricky...
Having decided upon a track plan the next step is working out scale plans for the layouts buildings.
As previously mentioned there are 3 main structures which are being built accurately to the dimensions of the prototype, (the Station, Signal Box and Bridge). In order to make things a bit more interesting for me given that I particularly enjoy structural modelling, I have decided to add a few more buildings (working from other prototypes adapted to fit the location), but I will come back to
This blog aims to cover the development, and eventual construction of my next layout, Bodmin Central.
The layout is based around three assumptions detailing how the town of Bodmin developed in this alternative reality,
Firstly, I have kept a number of closed lines open, covering both the line to Bodmin General, and the second branch to Wentford (which will be further serving the north Cornish coast. To further ensure maximum interest, the Wentford clay works will still be operational (and