A quick update on progress this week following the initial entry last week and very encouraging comments.
Decided to take on board Rich B's idea (thank you Sir) for losing the corner post to the right hand end and cantilevering the fascia to complete the corner. That corner was troubling me somewhat as it would have meant covering up a part of the dockside in addition to looking like there was a piece of back scene missing.
I sketched out the components and laser cut them at the office using 2mm grey card to match the previous fascias constructed in BCN. Mid week I brought them home and did a quick dry assemble and as initially feared the 2mm grey card was not up to the cantilever despite me notching the corner joint. I also realised that the 25mm top band was a little too thin and needed increasing in size to 50mm.
The mods were made to the CAD file at work at I recut the pieces the next lunch time, checking the same evening with another dry assembly. This seemed to work a lot better so this weekend I began to fit in place with PVA.
I also removed the back-scene and after a quick email exchange with Chris Nevard he recommended getting it printed directly onto 2mm or 3mm foamex - I need to give a few calls this week to get some quotes as it looks like it don't come cheap
As part of the assembly, small formers have been made which will carry the IKEA lights above. Am thinking I will now make this unit removable to allow access to the layout.
Overall, I am pleased with the new fascia and the initial photos with the lights shows it will make a difference even if it ends up a static diorama. It's funny to see the back scene with the old blue sky in place as I think the photographic back scene really helped give it context.
Here's a few pics to go with the above description.
Any comments most welcome as usual.