Wellington Street

Mike

Wellington Street muck about: just trying figure placement with some guy holding on to the gas lamp having staggered out of the Iron Duke, whilst another looks on somewhat bemused.

Nah, the second chap isn't bemused; he's one of three options:-

1) Disgusted

2) Jealous, or

3) The Yard Gaffer, looking for (& just found) his missing (& soon to be Ex-) Railway Employee.....

Or maybe he's all three!! :yes: :jester:

Hi Mike

Firstly may I add my congrats in getting no less than 3 layouts in the book. Very well done.

Secondly I think your layouts are getting better and better. Your earlier ones were very good but this one is definitely going to better. Keep up the good work and please keep inspiring us all.

Rod

Secondly I think your layouts are getting better and better. Your earlier ones were very good but this one is definitely going to better. Keep up the good work and please keep inspiring us all.

Rod

Must admit, this layout - even unfinished - evokes thoughts along the lines of "How much do you want for it?" already.... :yes: :blush:

Must admit, this layout - even unfinished - evokes thoughts along the lines of "How much do you want for it?" already.... :yes: :blush:

Thanks, this will probably be my last layout build as time and tide wait for no man. My main exhibition help Barrie is now in his eighties and I'm catching him up so 2017 may be my last year out and about before Wellington Street becomes a home feature. Although given the right deal and who knows. :jester:

With the track crossing Wellington Street to the not modeled Cradley Goods Yard it really  needed a crossing Keepers Hut. Try as I might and believe me I'm very trying I just haven't been able to produce a model of the Earls Beehive  Keepers Huts, so I've knocked up a wooded hut based on a typical 5'x5' Fog-mans Hut.

post-185-0-24754700-1463235120.jpg

post-185-0-18529300-1463235135.jpg

post-185-0-91272500-1463235218.jpg

Been doing a bit of vehicle bodging by converting a very old 1/43 Dinky Bedford dust cart into a coal lorry. So far  I've modified the chassis fitted a flat bed, mirrors, wipers and new wheels. Once I have finished detailing and painting I'll post a couple of photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Well in between several bad migraines with a loss vision I have done a bit of bodging, just need to get on and complete the ground cover add the coal and finish the backboards. 

post-185-0-59390100-1464436274.jpg

post-185-0-90365500-1464436289.jpg

post-185-0-80717800-1464436300.jpg

I'm not so sure I'd be so keen were I taking my refreshments in the bothy - you'd always be in fear of that one really heavy shunt...

Looks good though!

Best

Simon

Agreed, although the stops do look nice. If you get a really heavy shunt it will take conventional buffer stops out, too, and I have seen it happen . . .

John

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, although the stops do look nice. If you get a really heavy shunt it will take conventional buffer stops out, too, and I have seen it happen . . .

John

Isn't that just the managements way of trying to pursuade the yard staff not to spend too much time drinking tea?

Really nice layout, Wellington Street, I love to keep catching up with progress!

Rich

The wheel stop is modelled on the one at Cradley Coal Wharf. I am assuming that the chains held the thing in place as there doesn't appear to be any reported accidents in this yard although there were at others and they had proper rail built stops .

It probably doesn't do to examine fifty or one hundred year old health & safety practices with modern eyes. And I'm sure the guys that assembled it had substantial knowledge & experience "that it worked".

I'm sure I've seen a chaired sleeper fitted upside down at the rail end too, but I wouldn't like to swear this wasn't a model!

Best

Simon

Mike,

Some things haven't changed.... Since they propelled the empty tanks through the headshunt stop block at Kingsbury a couple of years back, the replacement has been some sleepers chained to the track to keep them in place and that's alongside a 125mph railway!

Cheers,

Andrew

Mike

I know this is hijacking your thread a bit, but I just can't resist. Here is the result of a heavy shunt at Parkandillack, Cornwall, 9th May 1983. The remains of the rail-built stops are piled up in front of the two gentlemen in the right foreground. All the wagons were recovered by Laira's steam crane except for the clay open (UCV) which was cut up on site. Otherwise, only pride was damaged, nobody was injured, thank heaven.

post-27939-0-72081200-1464522960.jpg

John

Well I thought it about time you got to see the layout in its joined up state so in between gardening duty I took the opportunity to set it up outside the work shop. You can see that one half is ballasted whilst the other is still to do.

post-185-0-25073200-1464531542_thumb.jpg

post-185-0-63254000-1464531566.jpg

post-185-0-87327100-1464531591.jpg

post-185-0-92331400-1464531629.jpg

post-185-0-26256500-1464531655.jpg

Really must finish the back boards

• RMweb Gold

I'm not so sure I'd be so keen were I taking my refreshments in the bothy - you'd always be in fear of that one really heavy shunt...

Looks good though!

Best

Simon

Just have your tea with the driver.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see the whole layout together - looks wonderful.  One hopes that coal wagons are not loose shunted into that siding with the gates open!! :)  Can you imagine what Health & Safety would say, some years later!

Rich

Today I have mostly been trying to break lumps of coal into bite size pieces and no I'm not going to eat them it's for the coal staithes. I think it would be easier breaking rocks on Dartmoor as the pieces of coal are absolutely as hard as iron .I have managed to destroy a piece of laminated board I was using which is now in several pieces having collapsed under the assault of my lump hammer whilst the coal is stubbornly still in overly large bits. As they say, whoever they are, if at first you don't succeed, give up.;)  

Mike, you need a big hammer, which you appear to have, and you need to use an old paving stone, or the patio, or the drive. 

I've found that this can lead to a "thick ear" if not properly cleared up...

best

Simon

Archived